1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I think the playpen looks good for puppies and the exercise pen would be good for adult chis :)

We're getting a baby travelcot/playpen to use as a 'crate' when we get the puppies~ they're soft so they can't hurt themselves in it too! :D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We have the second one and use it for Leo, it was recommended to me by several members here and we are very happy with it. This was the first time I got a pen for one of my puppies and I will never go back, its like having a nanny! So nice when youre first housebreaking them and need something to contain them when youre not able to watch them. Rather than feeling guilty that he was in his crate, I felt good about having him in there because theres plenty of room for toys, a bed, a crate and food and water. We even took it with us when we went out of town for Thanksgiving, it can be put together in about 2 seconds and takes apart easily. No complaints here!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I looked at both of those Kristy. :) The second one seems more "pottying" friendly where as I'm guessing the second one could get soiled easily? But the play pen may be better for what you need it for... :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
add- I would not suggest it for an adult dog at all, the only reason Leo, who is about 5 months and three pounds, cant get out is because he isnt coordinated enough to jump it yet. I think almost any adult chi would be able to get out of it easily with a combination of jumping and climbing, and a tiny would likely get hurt trying. Are you wanting it for your dogs or a new pup?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have the second one, it's wonderful. Marmalade can jump out of it to get away from the puppies, but she is a mix and much bigger than a full chi. It's worked well for Smoke, Pepper and the two puppies. It's big enough for food, water, bed and toys. And I can open it up and fence off half the room so the puppies can play and not bother the other dogs and open it up against the wall so they have a bigger place to play when mom is out and about.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I think the playpen looks good for puppies and the exercise pen would be good for adult chis :)

We're getting a baby travelcot/playpen to use as a 'crate' when we get the puppies~ they're soft so they can't hurt themselves in it too! :D
sarah i saw lovely blue and pink ones on the asda website for £25!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I've found pop up pens can't link from my phone bu they're like octagon shape and fold up easy to store when not in use I also think maybe it's safer than little puppies paws getting trapped when they trying to get out idk

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those of you with the 2nd one....what do you use for flooring. It doesnt come with a bottom. I read some reviews were people used a shower curtain liner or even cheap linoleum (sp)....that was my only concern with it. Oh...and how many panels....4 or 8?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Kristy, I'd get one of those sheets/panels at Lowes/Home Depo of either plexiglas or they have white panel as well. It would make for easy cleaning. Shower curtain is a good idea but I'd think if they figured out they could chew it...they would. LOL

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kristy, I'd get one of those sheets/panels at Lowes/Home Depo of either plexiglas or they have white panel as well. It would make for easy cleaning. Shower curtain is a good idea but I'd think if they figured out they could chew it...they would. LOL
Excellent idea :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We use the 2nd one as well, its cheaper @ walmart, btw, Walmart.com: IRIS 4 Panel Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pen White: Dogs they will ship it to your store free...

I love it, the only bad part was naughty Oakley would hop in and out to pester Bryco at her whim, and eat all his food LOL. If you don't have jumpers, you probably won't have to worry about that, though. Are you getting a new puppy!?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
For a bottom we always just used trash bags covered by a fleece blanket. My reason being that the puppy needed to learn that soft didn't = potty as we have carpets. He had very few accidents b'c of that. We used the forceflex trash bags, they aren't crinkly and they don't make noise when they walk lol.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We use the 2nd one as well, its cheaper @ walmart, btw, Walmart.com: IRIS 4 Panel Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pen White: Dogs they will ship it to your store free...

I love it, the only bad part was naughty Oakley would hop in and out to pester Bryco at her whim, and eat all his food LOL. If you don't have jumpers, you probably won't have to worry about that, though. Are you getting a new puppy!?
LOL Kristi!! You and Heather crack me up:D

Thanks for the link. I will order from Walmart then :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have this pen

I have this pen and love it. I have it in pink and it holds up great and is a wonderful alternative to a crate. I litter box train (grass thingy) my dogs and I can put a bed, mini wee potty and food/water and they are good to go. Plus, the best thing about it is that it has it's own floor so you can have it anywhere. The only downside to it is that the bottom pad/floor is a pourous nylon. It would absorb I think any accidents. So, I took that flooring plastic and cut a piece to fit and it is perfect.
Go for it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I just have 3 portable baby beds from babies r us for my 3 they were a life saver when potty training and wanting to keep them safe and now they use them to sleep in every night. Only Willow learned to climb out of hers so I found a mesh dome that covers hers that has a zippered access.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this pen and love it. I have it in pink and it holds up great and is a wonderful alternative to a crate. I litter box train (grass thingy) my dogs and I can put a bed, mini wee potty and food/water and they are good to go. Plus, the best thing about it is that it has it's own floor so you can have it anywhere. The only downside to it is that the bottom pad/floor is a pourous nylon. It would absorb I think any accidents. So, I took that flooring plastic and cut a piece to fit and it is perfect.
Go for it.
Do you mean the blue one? I do like that it is bigger and can be moved easily:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts