Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use these? How do they fare? I'm trying to find a decent pair, but dang they are expensive! I might have to make a mountain of pillows instead..:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
I do have stairs but the doggies prefer the ramps I have in the house.... and with Chico's legs I believe the ramps are better for him anyway...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I bought a set at Petsmart for about $20. They come in a little flat box, made of heavy duty plastic and snap together. There is a fleece cover that goesvover the whole thing. They work fine for small dogs.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You can use a step-stool for a whole lot less. I have stairs but my chi jumps up on the cedar chest to get up on my bed. I know when she gets older, I'll have to make her start using the stairs.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have the same stairs as MiniGrace has. Got them at Walgreen's! $20. I have several around the house, and by my bed. My bed is so high there is a chair that they jump on from the stairs, then onto the bed! Sue

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
One of my girls is cautious, one jumps quickly off of things and one thinks that she is Rocky the Flying Squirrel so I wanted ramps to protect their tall, scrawny little legs and knees.
I got this one in the 3 step version for my tall 4-poster bed. It is normally $120 here but a girl bought it and once received it did not fit where she needed it so she sold it on craigslist to me for $60. Still in the box, brand new and never used. Smells nicely of new carpet smell...haha! It looks on sale now for $72. It is wooden and nice and heavy. Mine is the vine looking on the side and chocolate colored carpet on the risers. I did not want cream or white.
Pet Stairs: Design Series Stairs for Older, Arthritic Cats by Doctors Foster and Smith

Coming this week, I had this man make me 2 other sets of steps. A 14" high one for sofa and an 18" high one for the guest room bed that they think is theirs. He lives just a couple of hours from me so he combined shipping. He is doing them in a taupe and without the inlaid paw prints. Also wood and carpet covered.
topdogsteps | eBay

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am using storage containers as stairs. I was surprised at how expensive the steps were, and the less expensive ones are not tall enough to reach my bed.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I made our 2 sets of doggy stairs. Here is my original link. Ended up being about $20 each. Right now I have a folded sheet laying over it, but we are making covers for them soon. They were super easy to make, the covers will be the worst part.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made our 2 sets of doggy stairs. Here is my original link. Ended up being about $20 each. Right now I have a folded sheet laying over it, but we are making covers for them soon. They were super easy to make, the covers will be the worst part.
very neat, and cheap! thanks for sharing. I'm not crafty but maybe I'll try it one of these days..where can I get this stuff, the hardware store?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In our old house, I had the steps because our couch was high and I din't want them to hurt themselves jumping up and down. It also had storage which was great to keep their toys in the living room. They can be a tad pricey, so making your own one is a great idea too.
When we moved to our new home we bough a new set of couches, mainly because the chis would hide under our old couch and it was really hard to get them out of there and they would sit and chew wires under the couch. So we gave the pet stairs to a friend of mine because we didn't need it and she was looking to buy one.
Here's the link to the one we used to have
Storage Steps

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I bought a set at Petsmart for about $20. They come in a little flat box, made of heavy duty plastic and snap together. There is a fleece cover that goesvover the whole thing. They work fine for small dogs.
I have 2 sets of the same and every dog who vists my home uses them and my dogs and the cat love them. Small, easy to assemble & move, cheap, and the cover is washable. :p

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I had hubby make some and we still use them and Zoey is 3 years old

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I had hubby make some and we still use them and Zoey is 3 years old
Those are great!! My boyfriend has been wanting a project of some type to do when he is not working perhaps this is the perfect project!

Jaxx can't climb up on our bed because it is so high although he did try last night when I was doing homework. Even though he is no longer sleeping with us anytime we are sitting on the bed he thinks he should be able to be up there with us. I could see the bed being his new favorite spot if he could get to it all the time though because he loves to hide behind throw pillows and during the day our bed has 12 pillows on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.