Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's never a good idea to get puppies from pet stores, but I admit...I got Jolie from one. We took her to the vet the day after we got her for a checkup, and the vet said she was overall pretty healthy.

To get back on track, the pet store said that the previous owner had put them in the pet shop temporarily, and that they were going to take the puppies back if no one had gotten them by the weekend. Even though the vet said she was healthy, I still would feel better if I was able to call up the previous owner and ask him a few questions about the puppy and her parents.

I was just wondering what a few good and important questions that should be asked were?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WELCOME if I havent said that before. :D

You can always ask questions about the parents. See if they do this alot or maybe it was A WOOPSIE litter. um I guess you got shot info. I am drawing a blank maybe Quickdog can help here! :wave:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us...
What would I ask...
How big are the parents: Do they own both parents-maybe the litter was planned and this is the way they decided to sell them: How old were they when they were weaned: Have they been handled a lot-petted, cuddled: What did they feed them when they weaned: Have they had other litters: How old is the mom and how many litters has she had: If more than one litter, were they consecutive litters: More than 2 litters in a row and the integrity of the breed is in question: Did they start using a pee pad-some start as soon as 3 weeks: Why did they have the litter: Why did they sell them thru the pet shop:
You just have to ask some point blank questions. I don't know if they did not want people coming to their home-and like Kemo's Mom said-maybe it was a oops litter. But why did they not advertise them rather than put them in a pet shop. The first litter that I had-3 pups-I must have had 50 or more calls. This last litter, I have not had any advertisements out-but I have had 5-10 calls and I could have sold the entire litter without advertising-so the pet shop surprises me.
It is difficult to come up with a lot of questions, because some of the questions are just by going to the home and seeing the conditions that the puppies are kept. The first chi I bought was in a living room filled with cages, and I don't think that any of the dogs or puppies got outside much-so I had a bad time potty training her. She liked to go outside, but didn't really know what to do. The last pup I got was in an apartment, so again, she has been a challenge to potty train. She goes outside and plays, but potty outside-she would rather use the litter box.
Call, and talk to the breeder, see if you can get information from them. Even when they were born. Anything can help and sometimes just talking to the people gives you an idea about them.
I always call and talk to the people before I make the decision to see the pup. An example might be: They are large chis, 10lbs or more. I am selling them cheap because I have medical problems, I hurt my back and cannot work, etc. I have heard a lot of stories. Then I say, thank you but no thank you. I see the dogs as being a source of income not an experience to improve the breed and be able to bring the best into someones home.
So not take any of this personally, a lot of people have been very lucky and gotten very nice little chis from a pet shop, but you are correct, it would not be my first choice. But you did the right thing is seeing the vet right away.
Sorry, getting too long. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I don't take any of it personally, I'm greatful!

There was an ad for chi puppies in the local newspaper for awhile, but at the time we purchased Jolie, the ad had been taken out. The pups in the paper were $50-100 cheaper, and my mom was sure that they were the same pups, just more expensive so that the pet store could make a profit.

And in the end, even if she isn't a perfect chi, she sure is cute. And as long as she's healthy, I'm happy. I just would like to know more about her family and what she might turn out like.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do you think the pet store will even give you the owners information? You have a wonderful list of questions already, I can't remember if it was said or not, but if possible I would try to go and SEE the parents.

Best of luck,
MD

OH... and I know how you feel about her. I got Lady from a backyard breeder... at least that is what I know she is now, (I didn't realize it at the time) and I love her just the same as I do my Petey, whom I got from a lady on this board. (not a breeder, just a chi in need of a home)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I got Sandy from a pet store and they gave me all the information about the breeder.
They are usually happy to hear from people that bought their puppys.
The name of the breeder or kennel should be on your puppys health certificate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts