Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has taken their Chi to PetSmart obedience classes? Just wondering how helpful the classes were, what was the structure like? Was it worth the money spent? Any other recommendations? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in Maryland, and opted not to put my little ones in the class ... ONLY ... because they were the smallest one's there. All of the other puppies towered over them. The instructor let me sit in on a class one Saturday morning, so I could see if I wanted to enroll my two. The class was very structured and the owners and pets seemed to really enjoy themselves. My two stayed perched in my lap the entire time.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Tucker and I just started last night. We signed up for the smallbreed puppy class. He is the only Chi.. there is one Spitz, two Shitzus, and 2 Jack Russels. The first class was "people only". We talked about our dogs and she showed us what was good product, what was yuck, and gave tips on some behavior issues as well as information about what to bring to the class (treats and 6foot leash). I think I am going to enjoy it. The format is very open and lots of give and take. At my particular store the trainer is very approachable and friendly. I'd suggest going to talk to the trainer and see how you get on with her/him then make your decision. As for the price its pretty comparable to other puppy classes and its about 8 wks of class. Also look for one that specifies small breeds as a separate group.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zeus is currently in the Petsmart classes. There is 2 Pugs and some type of sheep dog in the class. He's doing pretty good. He's been REALLY shy, so the trainer has been working with us on an individual basis. Right now our main focus is socializing him around other people and dogs. We work on the obedience part (coming, staying, sitting, etc) at home and during the class, but the instructor understands that Zeus doesn't do a lot of the commands at Petsmart because he is scared and insecure. She did say because I carry him wherever I go that that may be the reason he's so scared. When I'm holding him, he's a different dog. On day 1 I had to pry him away from me and his tail was between his legs. Now, he walks into Petsmart on his leash and his tail is up in the air, so we are seeing results.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
NoahFL said:
Zeus is currently in the Petsmart classes. There is 2 Pugs and some type of sheep dog in the class. He's doing pretty good. He's been REALLY shy, so the trainer has been working with us on an individual basis. Right now our main focus is socializing him around other people and dogs. We work on the obedience part (coming, staying, sitting, etc) at home and during the class, but the instructor understands that Zeus doesn't do a lot of the commands at Petsmart because he is scared and insecure. She did say because I carry him wherever I go that that may be the reason he's so scared. When I'm holding him, he's a different dog. On day 1 I had to pry him away from me and his tail was between his legs. Now, he walks into Petsmart on his leash and his tail is up in the air, so we are seeing results.
Yay Zeus! :wave: Poor shy little guy. It took Lily several months before she ever put her tail up at daycare. There is hope for even the shyest and it sure is satisfying when you can see results. :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep my Princess-Ella graduated from Puppy HeadStart.She has gone out the door but the good thing is she won't run out and she does respond well to stay .I definitely agree one needs to sit in a class to see if they enjoy it cause i had a terrible experience i had enrolled Princess in a puppy class somewherelse but was disatified with the first class.first of all pups that were small was a pomerian and my chi the rest were the size of a golden retriever pup.Also the trainer keep say that chis were not good to teach and that a chi that was left to be groomed was stolen from their fscility.also,they had no guarantee so i lost my money and i had paid with a credit card which was done over the phone so i did not sign anyhting i did report it to the credit card but since they had provw that i attednded a class i had to pay anyways.they credit card company send me a copy that i had to have cancel the first day of class they did not even explained that to us the first day of class.Remember the pomerian i happened to meet with her owner at Petsmart and i asked how did the class go she said her dog had been lost like on the third class and she was not permited to retake that lesson instead they wanted her to get her dog groomed.Yes, i forgot the pomerian did appear at their home by the next class.I told her i had lost my money and i asked her if she knew if you canceled the train not on the first day than there was no guarantee she also did not receive a paper stating this.I know recommend my trainer since she helped us pretty good and unrecommend the other facility cheaper but thieves.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Tico just (tonight) had his 7th of 8 classes at PetSmart. He is the only small dog in his class. The others are all medium to large dogs - also the same age as him. When they have play time, the instructor puts up a pen around us to play while the larger dogs wrestle around.
I actually just put a photo up in the "photos" section of Tico playing with a "guest dog" at class tonight. (see link below)
As far as the actual instruction, it is generic for any type of dog. But our instructor is good about adapting to each dogs personality and limitations. Like when we were first learning to sit and lay down - and Tico would not want to touch the cold tile, she got a fleece mat out for him, and he was a sitting/laying pro from then on.
With Tico, I think more than the actual lessons - it's been good for him to get out and be around the other dogs and owners consistantly week to week. But he's also learned (most still need a lot of practice!) the following:
  • look at me/pay attention
    "Tico!" (insert your own puppies name ;))
    sit
    down
    loose leash walking
    stay
    come
    wait
    leave it
    settle
    off
I'm sure there are some I'm missing - typically, we have 2-4 new lessons each week as well as doggy play time & time to practice the previous lessons.

link to photo from class
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/viewtopic.php?t=12701&highlight=

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the information ladies.

I was wondering if they go over mastering walking on a leash. Wiz absolutely hates it, whenever I take him outside on his leash he has a fit! Also he will only come when I call him half of the time. I think he's a good candidate for the class, cause believe me, I need help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts