Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one ever heard of a chihuahua who gets phantom preganancies getting one between seasons?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phantom as in full teats with milk, acting peculiar,squealing for us all the time very clingy. Fynn has had this several times but not every season as shes nearly 5yrs old, she is very small.First time Vet said just to let it ride and she will get over it in a week or two but it has always been when she is in season, this time shes not as she had a season back in mid June.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way, my girls dont mix with other dogs male or female.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, my young girl has phantom pregnancies around this time :(
It's not good for them to keep getting phantoms as the risk of mammary tumors can increase, have you thought about getting her spayed or do you feel she's too small?
When I've finished breeding from my girls (they only have one possibly two litters)I always get them neutered & they seem happier for it :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i dont like to do it, Fynn and Rosie are both 3 1/2lb.Sully 7 1/2lb was recently spayed as an emergency due to prolapsed vagina.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hmmm, i don't know but i will tell you this: Tiffany (the one who had the false pregnancy) only came in heat about once a year. She had these false pregnancies 3-4 times where she would grow milk, and "mother" inanimate objects for around a week at a time. Then when she was 8 yrs old she had emergency surgery to spay her d/t some kind of uterine infection. She had never had puppies or been bred in her life. So, maybe there was a a hormone problem d/t a problem in her reproductive sustem, i don't know. :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Maybe it's time you considered getting the others spayed.
I really don't think it's good for them at all to keep going through false pregnancys.
Have you googled "canine false pregnancy" to see if there are any negative affects?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I juts found this on a vet site recommended by a huge dog site i go on.............Q: Hi, I have had two female yorkies with false pregnancies with complete with milk. What is the treatment for this? How serious is this? One is 6 years old and the other is 9 years old. Would spaying in these girls need to be done on a emergency basis? Are some breeds more susceptible to false pregnancies?

A: False pregnancy is probably a normal outcome for an estrus period in which mating does not occur, in dogs. Unlike most species, dogs produce progesterone at levels sufficient to maintain pregnancy whether they get bred or not. Therefore, it is likely that many dogs experience at least some degree of "false pregnancy" after an estrus period. It is not an emergency situation. There are medications to suppress the symptoms of false pregnancy but there tends to be a rebounding of signs once the medications are discontinued, so I favor not treating this condition if possible. Most bitches will stop having signs about 80 days after the estrus. They often will produce milk and there can be signs such as nesting behavior or mothering of inanimate objects. If milk production causes discomfort an analgesic such as aspirin may be helpful. Do watch for signs of pyometra (uterine infection), including drainage from the vulva, increased drinking and urinating, inappetance or lethargy. If these signs occur it would be a good idea to see your vet. Pyometra is more common after estrus than at other times. I don't think that false pregnancy makes a bitch more likely to have pyometra, it is just something to watch out for in any intact female dog. I am not aware of a breed predilection towards false pregnancy but can't say there isn't one, either.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ms_P said:
Maybe it's time you considered getting the others spayed.
I really don't think it's good for them at all to keep going through false pregnancys.
Have you googled "canine false pregnancy" to see if there are any negative affects?
Yes i have ,please see above..................also its not 'all' its just one of my tiny chihuahuas, never had it with any of my others!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts