Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
omg... I'm glad they got it out, but that poor little guy has such a big incision on his back now. I'll you and Merlot in my prayers, I hope he heals up quickly.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Wow..this looks like a big incision for a litle dog to fetch out a "micro' chip.
Is he okay ??

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The microchip was causing scar tissue to form which was connecting the underlying tissue layers to scar to the skin above. They had to remove all of this tissue and the chip. The scarring the chip was causing was impeding his shoulder movement and the vet said if they didn't remove all the tissue he would have constant pain for life. We are still waiting to find out if the tissue developing around the chip is cancerous.

I can say, that I will never microchip an animal again, especially a small dog. Guess this is common in cats.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cause of the chip damage, the vet recommended never vaccinating him again, only rabies and in the back leg only

The vet is afraid any vaccines could cause cancer tissue to grow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's terrible! I feel so bad for the little guy!

Nugget was chipped very young, and has had no problems. It sounds like whoever did Merlot's really goofed up.

Of course, every animal is different, and his body could just have rejected the chip.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Poor Merlot. I have heard of this happening with vaccines, but never with a microchip. Makes sense though when you think of injecting a foreign object into their body. Wow. So glad he's home and doing OK but what an ordeal.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
cause of the chip damage, the vet recommended never vaccinating him again, only rabies and in the back leg only

The vet is afraid any vaccines could cause cancer tissue to grow.
Are you serious?!? That's absolutely terrible. Is Avid taking any responsibility for this? (I think that's who you said the chip manufacturer was)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am trying to get a hold a Dr. Silverman at Avid. He is the vet there that they sent documentation and pictures to. I haven't gotten a hold of anyone yet. I left a voice message for him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I admire how well you're handling this. I'd probably be having strong words with the doctor, if not committing an arrestable offense over this by now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my vet refused to microchip bambi and hasnt even mentioned it about little buster. your vet should of known that microchipping a tiny dog causes them problems. I hope they didnt charge you for their mistake! awful about the future jabs aswell,you are stuch between a rock and a hard place with that one now.
hope he is okay and feeling better now xx

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
On poor baby I have one that has one his breeder put in him and now I am a little worried.I am going to be keeping an eye on him.Praying for Merlot to get better sending him kisses and hugs.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Poor thing. What a horrid looking incision. ::shudder::

Poppet was microchipped as part of the adoption agreement from our local shelter, but none of my other dogs are. No real objection to it. I got Boo before it was popular to do so and the girls were too young and too small for me to even contemplate putting a chip in them. Now it seems like a low priority. There aren't a lot of dog nappings in this area and if it does happen, it's usually larger dogs that are left outside or in more dangerous neighborhoods. All the girls stay inside with me and only go out with me as well. I did go through a bit of panic when their small size started garnering a lot of attention...especially from a certain disreputable family in the neighborhood, but after I deliberately mentioned some of the hospital bills I've incurred and could incur in the future, interest in my dogs has died down considerably. For people who don't bother buying dog food, flea preventative, wormers, or vaccinations; the idea of spending hundreds of dollars for an upset stomach or a back injury stemming from a jump off the couch is beyond mind boggling.

My doggie family and I wish little Merlot a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts