Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to weigh all the gang and so here's what I got.
Millie- 10 months- 68oz
Gucci- 17 weeks- 31oz
Duchess- 16 weeks- 43oz
Pixie- 15 weeks- 36oz
Darcy- 15 weeks- 36oz

So I had a look at a chihuahua growth chart and just wondered how reliable these are?
The growth chart says that Gucci will be 3lbs, duchess will be 4.5lbs, pixie and Darcy will be 3.5lbs.
However I'm not sure that this chart is reliable or not?

I received my order from petit dog apparel (etsy) here are some photos of millie wearing the Mohawk hoodie XS
It's a little big baggy around her tummy and chest but still wearable

This is a photo of millie when we were watching telly together last night

Photo I found of Millie when she was 4 months old on her first trip away from home at the log cabin

"Let us up with you mammy, we just want a cuddle"

"Okay then, you can come up for a little bit"

I got a new pet dryer and decided to give everyone a bath and blowdry and the reactions from each one of them was so different!

Millie got extra hyper and started running around the room spinning and jumping, Duchess loved it and lay on her back, Darcy whimpered and scrambled onto me, Pixie froze and shook, Gucci ran away from it.
I tried all the different settings and they all seemed intimidated by it (apart from duchess)
I made sure to keep the dryer about 20 inches away when drying them to avoid getting hot on the skin but they still hated it.
Maybe it's just because it's new they are wary of it. I really want them to get used to it though as its cold here in England and they shake when they come out of the bath and I don't want them getting too cold.
Does anyone else use a pet dryer?
Any tips?

Also this Halloween coming up is my first one with chihuahuas so I'm really looking forward to it and have decided to get millie a fancy dress for this years party but stuck on choosing a costume.
The options are, witch, spider, bat or Halloween themed dress?
What do you think? Is anyone else dressing up for Halloween?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Millie looks cute in her Mohawk hooodie :). Love the other pics of Millie too and love the puppy pics.
no, I don't use a dog dryer. I don't use a dryer at all. when I bathe them , I just towel dry them real good and let them dry naturally. sometimes I put a terry robe on them while they are drying .

i'm thinking about costumes for the girls too. I bought Ellie a Supergirl costume at Petsmart. not sure about the other girls though...

do you have pics of the costumes and Halloween dress your considering for Millie ? I think i'd need to see what they looked like before I said which I liked best :cool:

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
TBH I rarely bath mine, they don't really need it. I either do it when it is sunny and take them for a walk to dry off, or they chill in front of a heater if it is cold. All mine are Smooths though, so they dry quickly

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Millie looks cute in her Mohawk hooodie
. Love the other pics of Millie too and love the puppy pics.
no, I don't use a dog dryer. I don't use a dryer at all. when I bathe them , I just towel dry them real good and let them dry naturally. sometimes I put a terry robe on them while they are drying .

i'm thinking about costumes for the girls too. I bought Ellie a Supergirl costume at Petsmart. not sure about the other girls though...

do you have pics of the costumes and Halloween dress your considering for Millie ? I think i'd need to see what they looked like before I said which I liked best
Thanks elaina. I do really like the hoodie :) do you ever order from etsy? I was impressed how fast it came.
That's what I had been doing before I got the dryer :)
Can't wait to see Ellie in her super girl costume! I will get photos of the potential fancy dresses.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBH I rarely bath mine, they don't really need it. I either do it when it is sunny and take them for a walk to dry off, or they chill in front of a heater if it is cold. All mine are Smooths though, so they dry quickly
I only bath mine once a month :)
Suppose I could just not use it on the smooths, and I can just use it for duchess.
How are your gang doing?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I would say once a month is quite frequently. I bath maybe twice a year. (The dogs, I shower daily lol)
Mine are being total pains. We are at my parents dogs sitting and they are using it as an opportunity to be horrible. Lots of barking and climbing on the furniture lol

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say once a month is quite frequently. I bath maybe twice a year. (The dogs, I shower daily lol)
Mine are being total pains. We are at my parents dogs sitting and they are using it as an opportunity to be horrible. Lots of barking and climbing on the furniture lol
Lol love it haha, and yeah it does seem like I do it pretty frequently. I'm just obsessed with all the doggy lotions and potions! I don't do it too often though, not enough to negatively effect their skin/coat.
Oh no doesn't sound good. What dogs do your parents have?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Millie looks cute in her Mohawk hooodie
. Love the other pics of Millie too and love the puppy pics.

do you have pics of the costumes and Halloween dress your considering for Millie ? I think i'd need to see what they looked like before I said which I liked best
Here are the Halloween options:

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
My parents have a Whippet, he is a good boy, much better behaved than the wayward Chis.
We have a witch, a vampire, and a monster costume for the dogs. All their other costumes are cute rather than scary

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
my favorite from the pics is the witch but ... I don't think my girls would be too happy with the hat. its not as cute a costume without the hat though. I think they'd leave it on for some quick pictures but that's it. so, I would pic the Halloween dress. It looks like it would be comfy to wear.
the other 2 costumes I think are cute but not as girly , and I tend to like the girly ones for the girls and the boyish ones for the boys :).

are you dressing up too ?

yes, I have ordered from Etsy. in fact... I just got a dog tag in the mail today !!! it is gorgeous . it was alittle expensive but I think it'll be well worth it. sometime soon , i'll get a pic of Ellie with it on. It just came in the mail 10 minutes ago, so, I haven't even put it on the collar yet ...

forgot to mention that I would say the Chihuahua weight chart was very accurate for Ellie. she now weighs 2 pounds and 14 ounces ( so, 46 ounces ) , and she is 1 year and 2 months old.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Awwww that was one of Ava's very first hoodies as a puppy. I have such a cute pic of her in a Pet it hoodie if I can find it late ( I'm at work ).
Awe the pups are all so small. Size charts usually give you a good idea. And most people add a lb to 1/2 lb for better accuracy. Or some double the weight of they'd chi's at 12 was and that has worked for them. Ava and Brax grew according to what they were charting.
Love the photos of all of the pups. They are so cute.
As for baths, it gets frigid here in winter. Mine get bathed every 8 wks. In summer ever 4 wks. And air dried in the sun☀.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my favorite from the pics is the witch but ... I don't think my girls would be too happy with the hat. its not as cute a costume without the hat though. I think they'd leave it on for some quick pictures but that's it. so, I would pic the Halloween dress. It looks like it would be comfy to wear.
the other 2 costumes I think are cute but not as girly , and I tend to like the girly ones for the girls and the boyish ones for the boys

are you dressing up too ?

yes, I have ordered from Etsy. in fact... I just got a dog tag in the mail today !!! it is gorgeous . it was alittle expensive but I think it'll be well worth it. sometime soon , i'll get a pic of Ellie with it on. It just came in the mail 10 minutes ago, so, I haven't even put it on the collar yet ...

forgot to mention that I would say the Chihuahua weight chart was very accurate for Ellie. she now weighs 2 pounds and 14 ounces ( so, 46 ounces ) , and she is 1 year and 2 months old.
Yeah I agree the Halloween dress will be most comfortable for her and she won't mind wearing that. She isn't keen on hats either. She goes crazy when I put the woolly pompom hat on her haha!
Yeah me and Curtis are dressing up as Mrs and Mr Dracula I'm so excited :D
Are you dressing up?
Can't wait to see your new dog tag.
I'm glad to hear the growth chart is pretty accurate :)

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awwww that was one of Ava's very first hoodies as a puppy. I have such a cute pic of her in a Pet it hoodie if I can find it late ( I'm at work ).
Awe the pups are all so small. Size charts usually give you a good idea. And most people add a lb to 1/2 lb for better accuracy. Or some double the weight of they'd chi's at 12 was and that has worked for them. Ava and Brax grew according to what they were charting.
Love the photos of all of the pups. They are so cute.
As for baths, it gets frigid here in winter. Mine get bathed every 8 wks. In summer ever 4 wks. And air dried in the sun☀.
Thanks for the tip gorgeous.
Can't wait to see Ava is the hoodie, what size did you get? I thought the XS was abit bigger than expected.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Oh the weight charts were completely off for mine. Japer and Bibi were 138g and 150g at birth and put on weight very rapidly in the first two weeks. They were charting to be at least 6.5lbs.
At two years old Jasper is 4lbs (maybe slightly more, haven't weighed him for a while) and Bibi is smack bang on 3lbs which is much smaller than either of her parents.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh the weight charts were completely off for mine. Japer and Bibi were 138g and 150g at birth and put on weight very rapidly in the first two weeks. They were charting to be at least 6.5lbs.
At two years old Jasper is 4lbs (maybe slightly more, haven't weighed him for a while) and Bibi is smack bang on 3lbs which is much smaller than either of her parents.
Oh I see! I guess I will just have to wait and see then :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Going on the parents size (they were an accidental pet litter, so i have no idea of the size of the rest of their family) i was expecting between 5 and 5.5lbs. The chart said bigger but in reality they turned out much smaller

1 - 20 of 28 Posts