Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Chihuahua | Albany, NY | Barkley
Yes, I realize they do use the terms "teacup". It was kinda annoying when I called them and I figured out "teacup" was their term for standard sized chihuahua.

Planning a trip to Albany, NY tomorrow so going to see if I might be able to visit this chi while I'm there. He's a longhair like I prefer and have been looking for, but not choosing one based on looks alone.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Petsmart and was holding Barkley/Bentley chi pictured on my lap( they changed his name). He had a dumb name,I was thinking his siblings must be Yipper and Yapster. I would say who would name their dog this way, except my brother named his cat Meow Meow as a child.

So I was sitting on the floor with Bentley chi on my lap and mostly petting his neck because he was wearing a sweater.
First time I've ever held a chi before and I thought he had a great temperment.
Was close to sleeping on my lap at one point, or maybe just tired from the adoptions/visiting with a bunch of strangers, heh.

So I'm thinking, pros:
- Lovely temperment.
- Seems to be in good health and has had a dental cleaning.
- Beautiful longhair.
- Nice size.
- Not a nusense barker at all/quiet.

- Cons:
- Adoption fee is on the high side for a 6 yr old dog ( at least going by other places).
- Is slightly possessive ( started growling softly when the foster person held him).
- Was recently neutered and is marking.
- Has an apple head when I prefer the deerhead.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
He is adorable! I cant imagine how on earth he ended up in a rescue?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is is a cute siggy.

From the reply I got concerning Bentley chi, I got the feeling it was a lack of time issue as I was told he came from a single working mom.
I was wondering why wasn't he neutered. I can only guess he was a breeder, person didn't want to spend the money or maybe they were morally opposed.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thanks so much, Katy, so sweet of you to say. :)
Youre welcome! You know how much I love your little ones :)

That is is a cute siggy.

From the reply I got concerning Bentley chi, I got the feeling it was a lack of time issue as I was told he came from a single working mom.
I was wondering why wasn't he neutered. I can only guess he was a breeder, person didn't want to spend the money or maybe they were morally opposed.
A lot of people dont spay/neuter just because they see it as an unnecessary expense. Not everyone who gets a dog invests the same time and energy into their dogs. I think its hard to get a good read on a dogs temperament someplace like Petsmart because a lot of dogs are overwhelmed by the sights, smells etc. Your best gauge on what hes like is feedback from his foster family. Hes very cute! If you get a good feeling from him, go for it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
He is a cutie! I'm glad you got to go there and see him. I love how you're messuring out the pros and cons instead of OMG HES CUTE NOW NOW NOW! lol Bless his heart I hope the best for him!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to look at the adoption application again( which I can't even figure out how to fill it out on line). I figured I haven't decided quite yet, but I may as well try out the application. I think they may have wanted it printed out and taken physically to the adoptions. Oppsies...

Found Bentley chihuahua on the page and it says "on hold" next to Bentley chihuahua pic now, so I may have been too slow with the deciding.
If there's not an adoption pending, something is going on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts