Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I want a small 3lb or less Chihuahua, and I don't know where to get one.. I don't know who to trust, and I don't know what to go by!? does anyone know how to pick one out or where to get one at a decent price?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
A three pound full grown chihuahua is a really tiny one. Go to the AKC web site, and see if they have breeders in your area. I doubt that anyone of them will tell you that they can 'guarantee' a three pound adult dog. The standard says 2-6 pounds, and most chi's are heavier than that.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If you are looking for a purebred chi, it could be difficult to find a purebred that is 3 lbs or less in a shelter. It is rare to find pure breds in shelters in general when it comes to chi's. Most of them are usually mixed with everything under the sun. I think rescuing is great. However, if you are looking for a pure bred chi that is on the small side, then I recommend getting online and searching for a reputable breeder. And even then they can not guarantee you a chi to be a specific weight, they can only give you a guess based on the bloodlines of the chi. A 3 lb or less chi is tough to find. Most chi's grow beyond 3 lbs even if they start out small. And frankly, anything less than 3 lbs is extremely tiny and needs to be handled with extreme care, and there can also be financial risks that come with having so small a dog. People think it's so cute of an idea to seek out a chi that is only gonna be 2 lbs full grown, not realizing the work and around the clock dedication that could go along with having such a small dog. Just be sure you know exactly what you want, and do all of the necessary research prior to making your final decision.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
A lot of Chis in this size bracket have health issues, so it is vital that you only buy from a good breeder who will be honest about the pups they have. So my advice would be to contact some breeders, explain what you want and be be prepared to wait for the right puppy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have had a lot of purebred Chi's come through our rescue here in FL. Right now we have a 4 pound male who is a gorgeous apple head. I would adopt him myself but we already have 3! We had 12 purebred Chi's come through at once that were surrendered from a breeder who had a health issue and could no longer keep her dogs. Please check into rescuing rather than buying.
Sue

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have bought a chi he is 15 weeks old and he's tiny but like people have said they come with health issues being so small. He is the runt of the litter and his mum did not feed him
He weighs 1.40kg

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I would suggest an adult if you really want that size. It is very difficult to predict adult weight accurately. I have a 3.5 and a 3.2 pound chihuahua both pure bred from a reputable breeder. I did get both as an adult. My male was a retired stud dog and my female was being kept to breed but turned out too small. They are healthy and happy but they are well bred.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Chihuahuas are actually one of the most common breeds in shelters, even purebred and all sizes. At my rescue we always have chihuahuas available even under 5 pounds, unfortunately they are one of the most overpopulated breeds :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
My runt wont grow.. hard to tell what weight she will be as adult.

I hope you can find what you want. I have a baby still 14 ounces at 12 weeks and I am just scared all the time about what the future might hold for her. ... I have to be with her non stop which is easy as I am disabled in bed most of the time. I cant imagine adopting her out, cuz who could take care of her like I can?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I also adopted my Chi as an adult. She was over 1 year old (full grown) and the breeder just had too many dogs and wanted Ponyo to go to a good home (she was the children's puppy but the breeder could tell the kids were outgrowing her and she wasn't getting enough attention) We paid $100 rehoming fee, and brought home the brightest most intelligent dog we've ever had @ 3.5 lbs.

Be so so careful. Some people will take advantage of your eagerness. Adopting an adult has just as many benefits as adopting a small puppy, but without all the VERY INTENSIVE work that needs be done for a puppy so small.

Contact some breeders. Tell them what you're interested in. Educate yourself!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
3 lbs. is so, so small. Lots of members here have them and can give much advice.
Our little Lily was 1.3 pounds at 12 weeks. It was so scary. She was expected to get no more than 3 lbs. I think due to genetics, but more importantly excellent food and exercising she is a healthy 4 lbs. good luck...but even 4 lbs. is tiny, tiny. We often get comments that she is the tiniest dog anyone has seen.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I honestly couldn't imagine my anxiety if I had gotten a small puppy. I have enough just wondering where Ponyo is now, even though I know she probably isn't getting into trouble, I just worry about something falling on her, or her ripping a cord out of a socket, ect....

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I wouldn't want a dog that small personally. I now have 3 tiny ones, and 2 who are over 5lbs. I think 5-6lbs is the perfect size for a family pet. Mouse is just over 4lbs and is just not as robust as the bigger two. (She can't manage stairs, or cope with extremes of weather for example)
The puppies are 3lbs 4oz and 3lb 12 oz at 6 months, much smaller than I was expecting. (Especially as Bib'is birth weight had her charting to be 6 and a half pounds or more lol) I really hope they continue to grow. Bibi is just so tiny, and she is well over the 3lb mark, I can't imagine living with a 2-3lb Chi, I would be constantly worried.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Three pounds or smaller is not something I would recommend especially for someone new to the breed. I have one who is 4.7 pounds, and he is very small- I get a lot of comments on how little he is.

I have seen smaller but they are very, very delicate little dogs. They need very special care. Their little bones are like toothpicks, and they can be easily hurt. You would be surprised at how small a 5 pounder is, and that is what I would recommend. Go for the breed standard, under 6 pounds- they are small dogs anyway.

If you want something that is only going to weigh two or three pounds, you might want to get a rat. I had one who was 2 pounds. He was a big boy- but for a dog? I could not imagine having a dog so little.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You can't always count on the size of the parents, either. I was told Stella's dam was 10 lbs, and her sire was 8. Stella is around 12-13 lbs. If you're getting a dog b/c it's "tiny and cute" and the tininess is really what matters, maybe you shouldn't be getting a dog. They're not accessories.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Never buy a Chihuahua less than 10-12 weeks old. The stress of moving to a new home is a lot for a puppy to take in .

No responsible breeder will EVER sell a Chihuahua before 10-12 weeks. These early weeks need to be stress-free, with no major changes in a tiny dog’s life. Tiny dogs need frequent feeding, weighing, and monitoring to keep their weight and blood sugar levels stable.

Get health certificates, a signed, dated bill of sale, and a written guarantee that states your recompense in case of a problem; confirm CKC registration of the parents and your puppy; insure that your dog has been permanently identified, and ask if the breeder is a member of CKC or AKC.

Reliable breeders and pet shops will urge you to take your puppy to the veterinarian of your choice to have the puppy’s health checked, and will allow you at least two days to have it done. It should be clearly understood rejection by a veterinarian for health reasons means that you have the choice of another puppy from another litter or that you simply get your money back. Be sure to get details of this policy before you purchase any puppy.

Get Ask for references. Do remember that not all reliable breeders will allow you to see the puppies before their first shots. There are so many deadly diseases that can be carried on your clothing, shoes, hands

1 - 17 of 17 Posts