Chihuahua People Forum banner

Should I...

• Keep the gate up and her food in area to eat

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Allow to freely roam, but talk to ensure room mates aren't feeding her table food

• Find out what dog food she will like

• Continue with the good stuff like the fresh roasted turkey, but in moderation

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 3-years old long-haired chihuahua, Angel, have been spoiled since getting back with me from my daddy's. I have room mates who feed her turkey, jerky, chicken, different treats and basically anything we would eat meat wise. She been getting this since being up here. She would eat her Purina little bites when she was with my daddy, I changed her off that to more higher quality, so I have got her Blue Buffalo for toy breeds. But it have been kind of hard for me to get her to eat her food because only thing she wants is table food. I have to started to put a gate up in one room to get her to eat, but she is resistant. She can eat the dried food at times, but I always wondered why she doesn't like the individual packages like the beef or chicken. I guess she says it doesn't compare to that fresh roasted turkey she's been getting. So I am trying to find out what else I can do to get her to eat her food, or better yet, what kind of food does chihuahua's like especially. I know different breeds have to have certain taste. What does chihuahua that is not harmful or bad for their health?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use Halo the salmon because it has a strong smell. If you really want her to eat her food she will. My oldest chihuahua Mia would not eat her food only home made chicken, turkey etc. It was my fault I raised her on it but I realized I didn't even cook for myself imagine for her. So I did was the told me at the pet store, put the hard food down for 20 mins 2x a day it can take from 2 days to 10 days. She won't die and dogs don't have the capability to starve themselves, she will eat it. It's going to hurt you but she's manipulating you. This is true mines eats happily now and it's easier because the poop is hard and I can pick up quick.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I use Halo the salmon because it has a strong smell. If you really want her to eat her food she will. My oldest chihuahua Mia would not eat her food only home made chicken, turkey etc. It was my fault I raised her on it but I realized I didn't even cook for myself imagine for her. So I did was the told me at the pet store, put the hard food down for 20 mins 2x a day it can take from 2 days to 10 days. She won't die and dogs don't have the capability to starve themselves, she will eat it. It's going to hurt you but she's manipulating you. This is true mines eats happily now and it's easier because the poop is hard and I can pick up quick.
I agree. As long as she is not teeny tiny peanut, it won't hurt her to miss a meal. Meats are ok as treats, but they are not balanced and she won't get everything she needs from just eating turkey or chicken.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I would talk to your roommates and explain they are throwing off her diet. Tell them not to give any table-scraps. Explain after you get her eating regularly on her food then you will provide them with healthy treats to give her but it has to be in moderation.
I would keep some raw veggies in the fridge for treats but only after she is eating her food without a problem.
Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
382 Posts
Simcha has never gotten anything except dry kibble (Nutro) as his regular feed. He enjoys it, finishes his meals quickly at one sitting and never begs at the table. There is still room in his diet to feed him treats, which amount to a small fraction of his caloric intake. He has nice solid bowel movements, and never suffers from diarrhea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts