Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I've been reading lots about others having picky eaters....Now it's happening to me. Taco's eating habits have changed in the past couple weeks. I always fed him twice a day, dry puppy food, gobbled it all down immediately. About a week ago he started not eating it. So, since he'll be one year old on June 19th, I thought that's OK, I'll just switch him to adult dry food. Well, he's not eating that either, or at least not every time and not very enthusiastic about it. I've read that if they don't eat their food in 15 min. to pick it up and make them wait for the next feeding, otherwise your promoting picky eating. I really don't want to have to play the food game with him, and don't know if I should be worried about hypoglycemia because he's over 12 lbs. (not overweight, just big), so is that different than having a tiny one where that would be a concern. He's acting fine in every other way, so I don't think he's sick or anything. Poopies still twice a day like before. Sorry this is so long. Does anyone have experience with this? :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Have you tried a different sort of food maybe feed wet fod with mixer or what I do is wet food morning and nioght and a bowl of dry left down throughout the day to nibble on, mine never used to eat much so I used to add boiled chicken breast mixed in and slowly decrease the amount overtime :wave:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I would rather not start with the wet, if I can get away from it. Most vets agree that the dry is much better for the teeth. Maybe I should try another brand of dry first. Also, he has never been allowed to even get a nibble of anything but dog food and occasional dog treats, as I don't like beggars, so I didn't want to promote that. Oh, and another thing, both his parents are grossly overweight, like 25+ lbs. So, I wanted to be careful with that too. Thanks for your input, I think I'll try another brand. Can others tell me what brand of dry their chi's like? Thanks

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jasmine is a picky eater also. I usually mix a little boiled chicken, occasionally some cooked hamburger, with her food. The chicken broth from boiling the chicken is good to save and pour a little over the dry food to give it a little more flavor. That seems to help some. Jasmine just will not eat the canned food. I've tried several different brands, and she just doesn't like any of it. So, I try to improvise some with the dry food.

I think it's Gadget's mom that adds cheese to the top and melts it in the microwave.

I realize that is "spoiling" her, but she's my baby, and if I need to cook for her, then that's what I'll do. I feel it's O.K. to spoil them as far as food goes, as long as you are being sure they get all the vitamins and nutrients they need, are not giving them anything harmful to them and watch their weight. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Callisto seems to forget to eat. As a result she ends up throwing up this yellowish foamy stuff. It only happens every once in a while but if I'm concerned that she hasn't eaten all day I put some "gravy" on her food. For quite a while I used a product called "VitaGravy" and Callie LOVES IT. Today I picked up some Iams savory sauce (same deal, different brand) and we're going to try that. Every time I add this stuff to her food she lishes it down right away. Plus it doesn't last long enough to really soften the food so she still gets the crunchy, better-for-teeth goodness of hard food.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Instead of changing his food altogether why not try mixing half and half his regular with something new. He is probably just bored. mix it up alittle and slowly take it away (go back to regular diet) and add a small bit every now and then just for a change. Imagine if you ate the same thing daily :cry: i think its the same for a dog. they need a little variety too. I mix puppy chow with science diet for Porsha and she likes it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts