Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my luna wont eat unless i make her i have to stand right next to the bowl and watch her eat for her to stay eating ...

and she will only drink water from her travel doggy water bowl

with luna being only 3 pounds i worry alot and maybe im being silly but is this normal ?

i went from fosterng great danes to having a 3 pound doggy im new to this whole tiny tot thing !

i will say small doggys are so much easier and great for snuggle love !!:p

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If she's hungry, she will eat. Are you free feeding her?

It's not a good idea to make her eating dependent on you being with her in order for her to eat. What if you have to leave her with someone? What if she gets ill and has to stay overnight at the vets?

She needs to be able to eat on her own, and if she's hungry she will. Dogs will NOT starve themselves, as long as they're healthy. If she's not on a feeding schedule, put her on one. You don't say how old she is, but if she's an adult, she can be fed 2X a day, once in the morning and once at night, just enough to keep her at her ideal weight.

Here's a comparison for you, to help you figure this out. Tango is 3 lbs 8 ozs. He gets just under 1/8 cup kibble in the morning, and another same sized portion in the evening. So he gets almost 1/4 cup food per day. He eats a grainless, 5 star kibble. He gets 2 very small treats a day, unless we're training. This dietary regimen keeps him at his ideal weight, which is the BEST thing you can do for your chi to keep them healthy. He is HUNGRY when it's meal time. I don't have to hand feed him, he's not picky about what he eats, he eats ALL his food at every meal. Because his food is excellent quality, his poop is small, firm, and virtually odor free. He is NOT a picky eater, I switch between several grainless kibbles to give hima variety of nutrients and because he's hungry when it's time to eat, he doesn't show any preference or pickiness for any food.

Don't let your dog train you to keep him dependent on you for him to eat. Break this habit before it gets any further ingrained.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
luna is a yr and a half old i got her from my friend who adopted one of my foster dogsbut then began having issues with luna .. and decided luna needed a new home sooo i took her and am so inlove with her anyways

right now she will only eat ceasers chicken wet foods and i have started adding royal canine chihuahua28 inwith her wet food to try and ween her off the wet

the problem is my friend hand fed her because she wouldnt eat and her blood sugar dropped really low and she was rushed to the vet when una was a pup she got very very sick and almost died so i think she is very dependant on being fed its a horrible habit im trying to break it but its difficult thanks for the advice

any dry food suggestions ? :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts