Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Amberleah private area has been this big since I got her maybe a little bigger. I have taken her to the vets several times they insist because she is so small it looks bigger. Then Vet went on vacation and another vet came in to help and I asked him for second opinion. He said he has never seen anything like this before and maybe her ovaries are messed up. He says she needs to be spayed and have x-ray before. I plan on spaying her she is 3 lbs and 6 and half months old. Is it OK to spay her now. And what do you think of the picture have any of you seen this before?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That is NOT normal. I'm glad you finally found a vet who seems to know what he is talking about! Abnormal ovaries can certainly cause that overgrowth of tissue. She definitely should be spayed ASAP, even though she is small. Perhaps she has a tumor? Something very abnormal is going on with her, that's for sure. I know you've said several times that her vulva was enlarged, but this is beyond the scope of normal.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Right there with Brodysmum. Thats not right! Vets are pretty good with spays i'd get her checked in and get that looked at further! I'm sure she'll be fine! good Luck, keep us posted :)

·
Banned
177 Posts
Her vulva is inverted along with being large (it looks like a small penis :s ) Did her breeder mention any deformities? I know some breeders don't care or even bother to check their pups but obv don't know where you got her from but that is extremely noticeable.

I would get an ultrasound so you know what you are dealing with. She's not too small for a spay. Reason I say get her scanned is because you don't know what's going on inside and last thing you need is a complicated surgery the vet wasn't prepared for. Normally with inverted vulvas you spay after the first season because it pops it out if it stays inverted they are prone to a lot of UTIs etc. However because hers seems elongated and larger as well I would get a scan first, they are pretty inexpensive.

I have a pup similar age and same size and her vulva Is the size of a small fingernail.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i would def change your vet, That is not normal, and would def have a scan as was said before to see if anything else is going on, hope its sorted for you soon xx

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree wit the others. She should be seen soon by someone who knows what they are doing.

I found 2 pics that sort of show my girls bits. I hope they will help you just for reference/size that the others have mentioned:

·
Banned
177 Posts
You're going to think I'm crazy but it looks like a small penis to me, I've been thinking about it all day to the point I googled hermaphrodite dogs and apparently it happens. I wonder if amberleah is a hermaphrodite? One of the things I came across said predominantly female hermaphrodites have very large vulvas because they have the bone that is in a dogs penis in their vulvas? Idk I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

And I agree dump the vet!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You're going to think I'm crazy but it looks like a small penis to me, I've been thinking about it all day to the point I googled hermaphrodite dogs and apparently it happens. I wonder if amberleah is a hermaphrodite? One of the things I came across said predominantly female hermaphrodites have very large vulvas because they have the bone that is in a dogs penis in their vulvas? Idk I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

And I agree dump the vet!
That is what I was thinking, my sister had a cat that was a hermaphradite. I'm surprised that the vet thought this was fine.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, I agree with all of you. I live in northern country and have been to many vet in 200 mile area and every vet in my area all are very bad. They killed few of my dogs and a cat after spay and my bird all different vets. I am going to have to drive bigger city's. Even then in bigger city vet let my toy fox terrier die after teeth cleaning. So am very scared. Even all vets that killed my baby's people tell me they are good. Bunk...

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Thank you all, I agree with all of you. I live in northern country and have been to many vet in 200 mile area and every vet in my area all are very bad. They killed few of my dogs and a cat after spay and my bird all different vets. I am going to have to drive bigger city's. Even then in bigger city vet let my toy fox terrier die after teeth cleaning. So am very scared. Even all vets that killed my baby's people tell me they are good. Bunk...
Certainly your puppy has an abnormality; but you don't now yet if, or how, it
affects her quality of life. I would not rush into surgery with a local Vet. You
may consider sending photos of her to a Veterinary University (for example Michigan State:
Welcome to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital — College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University )
and asking if they would see her as a study at no cost to you. Please keep us posted :)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Certainly your puppy has an abnormality; but you don't now yet if, or how, it
affects her quality of life. I would not rush into surgery with a local Vet. You
may consider sending photos of her to a Veterinary University (for example Michigan State:
Welcome to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital — College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University )
and asking if they would see her as a study at no cost to you. Please keep us posted :)

Thank you for link I will look into the University. Actually I was thinking of them..

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:mad:jerrys mom-great idea about the photos.ive worked as a vet tech,ran a rescue n volounteered at spca n ive never seen anything like that.in HEAT my females arent that big.its gotta be hormonal.even if shes a hermaphrodite i would think her hormones would be screwed up(the nipples seem developed too).i would google everything i could n contact some very good vets by mail or fone.:D:D:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Lily is an ~ 2 y.o. spayed Chi. She has large genitalia. Doesn't protrude like your pic but still looks large for her size. She is always dragging it in the dirt when she pees. Currently has a minor abrasion there. She, also, pees alot.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Lily is an ~ 2 y.o. spayed Chi. She has large genitalia. Doesn't protrude like your pic but still looks large for her size. She is always dragging it in the dirt when she pees. Currently has a minor abrasion there. She, also, pees alot.
What does your vet say about her? Can you post picture please...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I wonder if this dog is a hermaphatite? She has a vulva that looks like a penis. I'd get her spayed and ask the vet (another one please: any vet that says this is normal doesn't know what he's talking about.) to look for any retained testicles. I had an Irish Setter that was a pseudohermaphtite, and the vet found a tiny penis in her vulva. She took out the ovaries, and looked for testes too. I wonder if you have a vet school near you? They could help you make some sense of what is going on. She is of a good age to spay her now. Good luck Sue

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if this dog is a hermaphatite? She has a vulva that looks like a penis. I'd get her spayed and ask the vet (another one please: any vet that says this is normal doesn't know what he's talking about.) to look for any retained testicles. I had an Irish Setter that was a pseudohermaphtite, and the vet found a tiny penis in her vulva. She took out the ovaries, and looked for testes too. I wonder if you have a vet school near you? They could help you make some sense of what is going on. She is of a good age to spay her now. Good luck Sue

I asked my vet about hermaphatite, she said no, even her tech insisted nothing wrong. Grr!!!. I am calling the University of Ann-arbor on Monday, about 3 hour drive but worth it.

·
Banned
177 Posts
When I thought Amberleah had UTI might not have been, she pee's a lot and every where she know to pee on pad but seems to just pee where ever.
If she is a hermaphrodite then that would explain a lot as boys do pee more frequently than girls. Like I said before get an ultrasound as it shows up soft tissue. What does her vulva feel like is it soft or hard?

No offence but I wouldn't take a vet techs word on anything, they aren't vets. I would deffo find a school they MAY treat her for free if it is the case as it's very few and far between.

Personally I would also contact the breeder as I find it pretty disgusting they didn't notice this deformity

1 - 20 of 64 Posts