Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't given any updates about Halle in the last couple of weeks. I think it's been a month since she has been here and we are all having a wonderful time with her - we just absolutely adore her. It's really hard to get a good photo as she always seems to move just as I click the button and I end up with a blur, but here is one I took last night.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Chiluv04 - yes, I'm glad we stuck with it for a while as I wasn't sure to begin with, but nothing else seemed to suit her. Of course the association with the actress Halle Berry is there (I don't know anyone else with that name), so we do end up calling her 'Halle Berry' or 'Ms Berry' from time to time!;)

Premium Member
Thank you, Chiluv04 - yes, I'm glad we stuck with it for a while as I wasn't sure to begin with, but nothing else seemed to suit her. Of course the association with the actress Halle Berry is there (I don't know anyone else with that name), so we do end up calling her 'Halle Berry' or 'Ms Berry' from time to time!;)

Awwwww that is too sweet! How old is she now? And I love her soft fluffy fur. She is such a precious girl!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
She will be four months on the 19th of this month. Her coat is changing quite a bit at the moment - not sure if she is starting to go through the 'uglies' as I've seen mentioned. On her back the roots of her cream fur have become a reddish colour. Not quite sure what colour she will end up being as I have zero experience with Chihuahua coats - I only found only from here the other day that she would probably change colour as her adult coat comes in!

Premium Member
She will be four months on the 19th of this month. Her coat is changing quite a bit at the moment - not sure if she is starting to go through the 'uglies' as I've seen mentioned. On her back the roots of her cream fur have become a reddish colour. Not quite sure what colour she will end up being as I have zero experience with Chihuahua coats - I only found only from here the other day that she would probably change colour as her adult coat comes in!

She will most likely change color. And longcoat chi's do blow their coats around this age, and go through the puppy uglies stage. I have 3 longcoat girls that went through this, so don't be alarmed. Ava had already blown her coat when I got her around 3 months of age, and now at just over 6 months she is starting to get soooo fluffy! It may be too early to tell, but I'm thinking she will have a much fuller coat than my older chi Kendall. Braxton is a yr old and her coat is getting longer too. Longcoats are so fun! It's so cool watching their coats go from one stage to the next. So take lots of pics! 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to miss Halle's blonde locks, particularly as the colour reminded me of my beautiful childhood cat (a cream Burmese).

Halle's dad has a smooth coat and her mum a long coat, but not very full almost like in between long and smooth. I'm wondering if she isn't destined to have a very plush coat like Ava might.

Premium Member
I'm going to miss Halle's blonde locks, particularly as the colour reminded me of my beautiful childhood cat (a cream Burmese).

Halle's dad has a smooth coat and her mum a long coat, but not very full almost like in between long and smooth. I'm wondering if she isn't destined to have a very plush coat like Ava might.

I don't think she will stray too far from the color that she is. I just think there may be more variations. It can take up to 2 yrs, possibly even 3 for a longcoat to achieve it's full length. If within her bloodlines there are some fuller coats, then she just may become fluffier than you think. And Ava's parents had coats similar to my Kendall, but much wavier and fluffier in the chest. However Ava's coat is growing out very thick and straight. I'm thinking because she is so small that she will appear to have a thicker coat than her parents who are bigger chi's and tall and lengthy.
Here's Kendall View attachment 47089
Ava's dad View attachment 47097
Ava's mommy View attachment 47105

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Kendall is gorgeous as are Ava's parents.:p One thing I have noticed with Halle, as well as the colour change and coat looking a bit choppy, is that the fur on her forehead is starting to get fluffier - like she is sporting a bit of a toupee!

Registered
Halle is so cute! Cai didn't get much darker than he was as a puppy.

He was four months old when I got him. He had already lost his puppy coat. That pic was his second day home. You can see that darker stripe down his back. That's the main color he is now. He is basically a fawn tri-color (fawn, tan and white). His mom was a chocolate tri-color.

He is almost 16 months old and his coat is still getting longer. (That pic was about 3 weeks ago.)

Premium Member
Halle is so cute! Cai didn't get much darker than he was as a puppy.

He was four months old when I got him. He had already lost his puppy coat. That pic was his second day home. You can see that darker stripe down his back. That's the main color he is now. He is basically a fawn tri-color (fawn, tan and white). His mom was a chocolate tri-color.

He is almost 16 months old and his coat is still getting longer. (That pic was about 3 weeks ago.)

He is so cute and fluffy!

Premium Member
Kendall is gorgeous as are Ava's parents.:p One thing I have noticed with Halle, as well as the colour change and coat looking a bit choppy, is that the fur on her forehead is starting to get fluffier - like she is sporting a bit of a toupee!

Haha a toupee! That's funny. Their coats go through so many changes from puppy to adulthood. Soon enough she will have a beautiful fluffy flowing coat!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Cai is a lovely colour and handsome boy. Halle seems to have at least three colours in her coat at the moment, her mother is a Tri colour, so maybe she has the gene? She has white, cream and reddish fur at the moment.

Registered
Thank you. Love my fluffy little guy!

I just looked at Halle's pic on my laptop. Her coat color looks really similar to Cai's. So she could be tri-colored. I don't think that is an official AKC term, but it is what I noticed in his coat. He is listed as "fawn" on his AKC paperwork. His Mom is listed as chocolate with black and white markings. Reds are a little darker. Here is a site that shows the different Chihuahua coat colors. Pretty cool!

Chihuahua Colors - TCLJD

Registered
Your little Hallie is beautiful!! Did you say you miss her? Is she not with you all the time? I'm sorry if I missed her story on another thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Did you say you miss her? Is she not with you all the time? I'm sorry if I missed her story on another thread.
Hi Lulu'smom - no, I was saying I will miss her lovely creamy puppy coat as she starts to darken and change colour.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts