Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a fairly decent Cannon digital camera but whenever I take pics of Shiver, they don't turn out very well. The flash always shows or she blinks or it just dosen't look nice. I would love to do nice close-ups.
I'm looking for some pointers on lighting, positioning, etc. I see such beautiful pics on here and I would love some of Shiver. Please help.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Would it happen to be a Canon Digital Rebel XT by chance? If so, that is indeed a very good camera and can take some professional looking pics. If you tell me what model it is I could give you some more solid advice... but...

For starters... built in flashes are evil. Seriously. They cast so many shadows and 9/10 times make red-eye worse. Try to take pictures in natural lighting allowing you to turn the flash off... or in a lighted area where the lights aren't shining directly onto the subject... unless that's what you're shooting for.

As far as positioning is concerned... do you mean the position of the subject within the frame? If so, look up the rule of thirds. Basically, you mentally divide the frame into thirds both horizontally and vertically. When you shoot the subject, keep them on one of those "thirds" lines. When I get a chance I'll upload some pics I took of my guys from easter and I'll post some samples of what I'm talking about.

Not sure how much that helped, but if you could post some examples of what you mean I might be able to give you some better pointers.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just keep snapping until i get a picture that i like... lol.. i've never been good at getting my dogs to stay still... lol

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Isshinharu, the camera isn't spectacular but it's decent. It's the Power Shot S30 (yes, with a built in flash). I'm going to post a couple of bad shots that I've taken - wanting them to be cute. Any criticism is very welcome.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your pic's came out just fine... and I think your furbaby is so adorable!!

For me, I have a Samsung digital camera, I just keep on taking pic's till I get what I want and delete the rest. Just as stated above... I can't get my hyper boys to hold still long enough... LOL!

·
Registered
862 Posts
thats the beauty of a digital camera you can delete rubbish pics!!
i take quite a few - its really hard when they move about alot! :)
those ones you posted were really nice pics!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Isshinharu said:
Would it happen to be a Canon Digital Rebel XT by chance? If so, that is indeed a very good camera and can take some professional looking pics. If you tell me what model it is I could give you some more solid advice... but...

For starters... built in flashes are evil. Seriously. They cast so many shadows and 9/10 times make red-eye worse. Try to take pictures in natural lighting allowing you to turn the flash off... or in a lighted area where the lights aren't shining directly onto the subject... unless that's what you're shooting for.

As far as positioning is concerned... do you mean the position of the subject within the frame? If so, look up the rule of thirds. Basically, you mentally divide the frame into thirds both horizontally and vertically. When you shoot the subject, keep them on one of those "thirds" lines. When I get a chance I'll upload some pics I took of my guys from easter and I'll post some samples of what I'm talking about.

Not sure how much that helped, but if you could post some examples of what you mean I might be able to give you some better pointers.
Excellent advice, couldn't have worded it better myself; "built in flashes are evil". If you *must* use flash, try the fill-flash...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was thinking, on the next nice day (today is windy, yucky) I'll take some outside shots. Today she might blow away so it will have to wait.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, hehe her neck is so bald from wearing sweaters all winter. The hair is almost all grown back now.

·
Registered
804 Posts
~Jessie~ said:
I always take like 50 pictures, to end up with maybe 5 good ones.
Yea, that's always the way... at least with digital you can delete the ones you don't like.

hehe, just noticed my smilie guys are back - I like this new one :glasses11:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i take about 100 pics lol then when i look through them on the pc.. theres usually about 10 pics that i REALLY like :D :D lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
As was said above... all of the pictures are good shots. However, I do see what you're talking about with the flash and positioning.

Try playing with the settings on your camera. Some settings to read up on are:

ISO: A higher ISO means that the sensor is more sensitive to light. Use a higher ISO in low light situations. Note: A higher ISO may produce some "noise" or speckles in your photo.

Shutter Speed: A faster shutter speed means that the shutter is open for a very short amount of time. For example, 1/800 sec is much faster than 1/20 sec. In low light situations 1/20 would be more applicable.

Aperture: On most point and shoot cameras, the aperture is usually adjusted automatically by the camera depending on what shooting mode you're in. However, if you are able to adjust the aperture, just remember that the lower the number (f-stop), the wider the aperture becomes, thus allowing more light to enter once the shutter is released.

Shooting Modes: Auto, Manual, Portrait, Landscape, etc... Out of all of the ones available, I would suggest trying to shoot in manual mode if your camera allows it. This will allow you to adjust many of the above settings according to the situations specific requirements and will generally yield better results than if the camera were to automatically adjust them for you.

If you're able to manually adjust the shutter speed and aperture, you may be able to get away with turning the flash off to compensate for the low lighting. If you can't adjust settings to that depth, try turning off the flash and increase the ambient lighting. Even if you have to shine a light on the subject, any source of external lighting is better than the on-board flash.

As you can see below, there are many shadows cast and the flash has placed highlites in areas that you may not necessarily want highlites in. For example, there are some areas in the ears that are "washed out", or, made excessively bright by the flash. This is because the camera is trying to adjust the overall exposure and white balance for the overall picture. With a darker background and not enough light on the subject, the shutter must stay open longer (and the aperture wider) to let more light in. When the flash fires, the lighter areas are going to reflect more light than the darker areas and it will give the lighter areas a washed out look.

Overall I think they're good shots. If you get a chance to shoot outdoors or in a room with better lighting and you can turn the flash off, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.

Also, just as everyone else has said... sometimes you'll take 50 shots and only 5 or 10 will turn out good. Ah, the joys of digital. As far as getting the subject to sit still... sometimes the best shots we take are the ones we don't plan. Photographers don't take pictures, they make them. :cool:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for the tips everyone. I'm going to fiddle around with it tonight and see what kinds of settings are available to use and try some of Isshinharu's suggestions. As I mentioned, the weather is not the best right now so outdoor pics is definately out.
I was going through some pics from last year out camping and I have to say, this is my favourite picture of Shiver.....and I took it! And looky looky, it's outside!!

Hmmm, it's bigger on my computer. Anyway, that's it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I know what you mean. Unless I take my pics outside, they generally don't come out so well. Tito always blinks or turns away. I know for a fact that he doesn't like the flash. But they still come out better outside......I personally think it is the color of the light and surroundings that make the picture. :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
canadiandawn said:
Thanks Isshinharu, the camera isn't spectacular but it's decent. It's the Power Shot S30 (yes, with a built in flash). I'm going to post a couple of bad shots that I've taken - wanting them to be cute. Any criticism is very welcome.

I think these pics are great. The 1st one is a little off, but the last 2 I really like. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
canadiandawn said:
I was going through some pics from last year out camping and I have to say, this is my favourite picture of Shiver.....and I took it! And looky looky, it's outside!!

Hmmm, it's bigger on my computer. Anyway, that's it.
:thumbleft:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think all the pictures are gorgeous, especially the one taken outside - Shiver looks very chilled out in that in a rather regal way :D

I would love to take face-on shots of Astrid, but always get the flash in the eyes thing :( More practice, I guess! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts