Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sweet chi Pip has a little problem. When he is happy to see me and is getting ready to be picked up (or any time he gets excited then picked up) he piddles on the floor or the person picking him up. Little droplets, but I was wondering if yours did this, or why mine does. He is going to be one year old in June, he is also three point nine pounds. Thank you to anyone who knows
oh, he knows to go outside to pee and poop most of the time, or use his pads in the house.
So, that is not a concern anymore.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've heard of this quite often. I'm not sure why they do it but I know in the book Chihuahuas For Dummies, it mentions this. I believe its called submissive urination? I also think there have been past posts on this.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
if you can make your comings and goings low key it might help.....

Kemo does it more and more.........its nerve racking to say the least, I will need to buy stock in Natures Miracle :roll:

·
Registered
530 Posts
If anybody has any great advice on how to stop submissive peeing I would be greatly interested. The only thing I found so far was to try to ignore it. My sisters chi, Gizmo, is so submissive and he's having this problem. When my mom comes into the house he lays on his back and pees on himself, my mom said it was like a little fountain :shock: They are trying to ignore it, and are certainly not punishing him for it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'd love to be able to help her out with this...Charlie is pretty much the opposite of Gizzy, he's my little alpha puppy. When they're together this is a huge problem because Giz will drip a couple drops and Charlie has to cover it up :roll: If anybody has any solutions...help!
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, that sounds about right. The only thing I might do is put him outside, bc I didn't realize it was a syndrome of sorts. I always thought he just needed to pee. Hmmm, well, like some of the others, any great ways to help reduce this? Of course, he doesn't always do that, more when he gets excited and when picked up during the excitement.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Submissive urination is a big pain in the butt! It's crazy because you want them to be submissive to a certain extent but you don't want the peeing!

I think that the best way to solve it is to recondition your dog to NOT be submissive when you are making the motion to pick him/her up. They should see it as a sign of security, and if they are hand-shy and submissive when you go to pick them up, they may have been conditioned that way in the past. The next time you approach your puppy, softly say their name and sound happy, have a treat in your hand, and give them absolutely no reason to be scared. Do this to the point where they in the "in between submissive" stage (semi crouched, ears back, but not rolling over, and tail wagging big time). After they realize that when you motion to pick them up you aren't going to admonish them or crate them (this was our biggest problem with Ritz-being picked up at home used to mean he peed on the floor and was going in the crate, now he's fine!). They will not see your actions as threatening and will no longer act submissive when you handle them or motion to pick them up.

There is nothing more irritating than a male dog rolling over and acting like a fountain-statue, or finding a puddle underneath your female every time you pick her up. Take slow steps and you chi will trust your hands!

-Nate

After re-reading your post, it seems like he's not afraid of your hands, so it's possible it's just bladder control he has to learn as a pup.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pip does know when I am going to pick him up, that is what he wants, so I agree that it might just be a minor bladder control issue. Remember, when we saved him his mom and dad were mill dogs (mom had gotten run over and the mill owners were going to drown Pip and his two siblings, but a rescue org saved them). That might be part of an inbreeding thing. He doesn't roll over, he just dribbles a little when he gets really excited. I still love all the thoughts and suggestions though! I may never know the real issue unless I have a vet thoroughly look him over.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
this is a topic im fairly familiar with.
my parents spaniel is a submissive urinator. as a puppy it was everytime we walked in the door or into the room or anything, of course he was cute and as soon as we saw him we wanted ot make a big deal out of being so good while we were away...but this is what usually doesnt help the matter.
since hes gotten so much better since we changed our greeting.
instead of making a big fuss out of him as soon as we walked in the door we made him wait till wed sat down and got settled. we said hello but didnt stood to pet him or make a fuss. after sitting down we then made a big fuss of him. it seems that this gives him enough time to relax a little after the excitment of return and being less imtimidating (by being sat first) and it seems to be working much better now, its not hapening anywhere neer as often. so it seems ot be working.
when guests eneter the house have them sit first before paying attention to the puppy, (i know its hard) but see if that helps...
the only time vixie has a sub problem is if shes desperate and then excited or nervous on top, she seems to not be able to hold it anymore. its usually when my father goes to pick her up and i think its because hes a very large man both tall and bearish and for such a little dog even a tiny person is a daunting thought.

hope this helps...some dogs never get over it, however this method seems to have worked for us (and a few frineds whove had the same problem)
also perhaps try and have some tiny treat left by the door so whenever gusets come over they can take one, make him sit and give it to him before even trying to pet him/pick him up, this might show him he doesnt have to be so submissive to everyone and he'll be more apt to sit when guests enter the house rather than cower or rollover. (this method works very well for people shy dogs and jumpers too)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mel- I hope your pup is just having some bladder control problems that will get better with time. :)

Thanks for the tips Nate and foxy...I'll pass them on to my mom and sister. We are worried it has to do with his breeding because my sister's friend has Giz's half-brother and is having the same problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts