Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone use the piddle place? i live in an apartment and was planning on litter training my new puppy (get her exactly one month from tomorrow) but i just discovered piddleplace through an ad on this site. so just wondering if anyone actually uses it or if its just a $100+ gimmick

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I used one when millie was a puppy just to train her that she has so use grass.
It helped her become used to the fact off finding grass before going potty and so when I took it away she automatically went to the back door so she could be let out onto the grass :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I follow the advice of someone on the forum here and made my own pad holder. I just use potty pads in the bottom of it. I just bought a pin and cut a hole out of the front of it and it works perfect. The Piddle Place is really cool if you want the grass stuff instead. I prefer pads though.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I follow the advice of someone on the forum here and made my own pad holder. I just use potty pads in the bottom of it. I just bought a pin and cut a hole out of the front of it and it works perfect. The Piddle Place is really cool if you want the grass stuff instead. I prefer pads though.
That looks familiar! LOL It is easy to clean (I use vinegar & water and maybe power wash or it hit it with a hose twice a year). It is perfect for boys! That is why we did it as Sonny likes to life his leg.

I have heard that piddle place stinks over time. Not sure if true but that is the reason I did not go with it. Pads are cheaper and throw away than artificial turf.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I use a large litter box for my crew. I choose to use a litter box over pads, though I do sometimes keep pads handy. Pads are more costly in my opinion. Especially in a dual chi household. I'd go through a couple pads a day. As opposed to the large 30 something pound tidy cats I buy that lasts a long time. For us, litter inside the pan lasts about 2 weeks. It's scoopable. And I change it out every couple weeks. The only negative is that it's messy. You have to sweep often lol. But I'm used to it. We use a mat in front of the box which catches most of the litter nicely. I do plan to buy an enclosed box, which I think will make a huge difference, less sweeping.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Mine don't eat litter. The litter I buy isn't dusty. And dogs have been known to eat their pads. It's all about personal preference. As I don't like the idea of mine stepping on old pee spots on a potty pad. That to me is icky.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I think my Chihuahuas would eat litter. Plus the dust would bother their allergies and mine. Litter just seems icky when I can just change a pad out real quick.
Mine refused to let it touch their paws! They hated it! They won I lost!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I have used the washable potty pads over the past 7 years and they have worked out great ! I never tried the litter or the artificial grass , so I cant say how that would work out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Piddle Place Indoor potty

Thank you for asking! I always appreciate reviews and comments. I invented the Piddle Place for my 7 year old dog I work as a nurse, and my shift switched to 10 hours from 8 hours. My dog could not wait 10 hours to have relief. I tried puppy pads, but they were messy, and my grandson didn't want them in the land fill. I wanted something that was sanitary, no contact with pet waste, and no odor. that looks cute in my home.

It certainly does work, its cheaper than puppy pads over time, and has no odor. The big difference in the valve drain system. Just put down the cover and open the drain valve. We also donate these to shelters, and they connect a garden hose the valve, and drain it down a central drain. At the shelter where I volunteered the number one reason people tried to give up their dog was housebreaking issues. We found that this solved the problem for thousands of people, so I hope this works for you as well.

Profits from our product is donated to shelters, so we appreciate your help in sharing our story and giving us a try. PS: If you order from our website, remember to cancel the supersaver. It delivers the base unit charger every 8 weeks, and with a small Chi, you wont need that much.

Thank you again

Kathy

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was just looking at this but I don't think it would work for my chi. He has been using a pee pad on a holder. But he has started squatting on the pad near the edge and is peeing mostly on the edges of the holder and it's getting on the floor. I think he'd do the same thing with the piddle place. And with no lip/edge he'd get more pee on the floor. It's also bigger than I want. I'd consider it more if it came in a smaller size.

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Skippy The Piddle Place has a protective guard around it that helps males dogs stay put. Most dogs don't like stepping on a puppy pad if it is wet. Maybe your fur baby was getting wet paws? Our system drains into a base straight away, so their paws stay dry. perhaps that was the problem? My Kippers would not use the same puppy pad twice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That could be it. Even with a new pad, he's peeing over the edge. It seems to be a new habit. He's smart and eager to learn so I think the piddle place would work for him. Are there any plans to make a smaller piddle place? 30x19 is much bigger than I want. I don't want to invest the $ into it and find that it doesn't work for us, or that my big dogs like it.

I work long strange hours as a nurse, as well. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
best indoor puppy potty

Thank you my fellow nurse, yes our hours are strange, and sometimes we can't leave a patient to go home and walk our fur babies. Right now this is the only size we have. We had a smaller version, but so many dogs would turn around a few times when they would go poo, that they would miss. This size was a compromise, and people with larger dogs have learned to attach two together. I wish I had better news for you, and I certainly would not want you to buy something that did not work! Maybe if you try just the pad that goes on top of the Piddle Place and try it with you old puppy pad underneath. If he uses our turf that way, he will continue to use it once it is on the base. Please email me [email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was looking at this and have tried another type of fake grass that drained into the bottom of the pan and what not but the grass kind of sucked.. This seems more reliable and better, but I wanted to ask how you clean out the tank itself? That is what I am concerned with about buying this... I don't want to buy it and it's hard to clean out because you can't open it or anything?

Right now I am using a pee pad on a pee pad holder, but my Chi will stick her butt off the mat when going poop so it drops on the floor ._. Sometimes they'll pee on the edge too. Can you use two pee-guards to enclose area with just one side open or is it only available for one side?

·
Registered
109 Posts
best indoor puppy potty

LOL, too funny. The Piddle Place has back splash that can be used to keep your Chi in place. I have some customers that place a plastic plant on the other side so the dog has not option but to keep his backside on the grass.

mat is 100 PVC, extremely porous, and machine washable. (but not the dryer) pee pads get expensive and messy, (my grandson made me stop using them because they wound up in the landfill here.

There is a hose connection on the valve that you could back wash if you really wanted to, but I promise, there is never a reason you would need to get inside of the piddle place Once a month, I toss the mat in the washer, and give the top a quick once-over with my toilet brush. That's is. The bio-enzyme will totally remove odor.

I very much look forward to your comments and review. We learn something from everyone here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts