Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be starting Pilates soon as my stuff gets here. Has anyone else done this? Do you like it? Does it help with weight loss? I have really bad Plantar fasciitis an it's been acting up so my foot doc said to do Pilates since it shouldn't bother my foot.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I am starting a Pilates class too- I take ballet classes and you need a lot of core strength for it, and Pilates is supposed to really help. Good luck- I hear they are a great workout!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
My new school offers Pilates and Yoga for free if you are a student. I am looking to fit in at least one or two classes a week between law school and Toby. I think it helps with both physical and mental stress and tension.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Hi Girls- I am a huge Pilates and yoga fan. Both are great for core strength. I find yoga more interesting than mat based Pilates. I have also found that there is huge variation from one yoga studio to another. I assume the same is true for pilates. If you don't like one teacher or studio, try another. Don't judge the activity by the first class! Also, although I like both these activities a lot now you really have to work through the initial discomfort as your body adapts and gets stronger. Don't quit because it hurts, it will get better! I pretty much stopped lifting weights when I got really into yoga. I didn't enjoy weights at all but wanted to keep tone now that the big "50" is approaching. Lifting body parts or your whole body in yoga is weight lifting in a fun version!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
A long time ago I did a few classes. Like Missy said, You need A LOT of core strength!

I have a sort of mini gym in my basement. We have a high end elliptical, (which was my husbands choice, but just me uses it!), Nordic track (which I don't use anymore), small set of weights, step, "The Firm" regular and the wave - which I love! and I have several yoga CDs (classes are better, but this is cheaper and convenient).

I am a believer in doing something - anything! Walking is great, cheap, and you can do it almost anywhere! Malls even open early for walkers!

Hope you enjoy the pilates.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm starting Body Balance soon (coz i'm starting a new job and I get a free gym membership as part of my salary package, how nice is that!) which is a hybrid Pilates and yoga class to music. Since I work a desk job I think it will really help with the neck and shoulder stiffness I get from staring at a screen all day. I'm even trying to convince hubby to come along as he's recently gone from working on construction sites to sitting in an office quoting and managing construction projects and he's now complaining of back pain too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive not long started pilates :) i think its really good especially for improving your balance,flexibility and trying to tone up, ive cut back on sugary drinks too but in about 2 and a half weeks i lost 2lb going to be keeping it up I havent ever gone to a class i just brought most of the equipment and do it at home whenever i want which is much more convinient

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi girls! I'm just back looking at the forum again and saw your Pilates post. By now I hope you have all had great experience with it! I am a Master Instructor Trainer in Pilates...and very particular about it being done correctly and with a knowledgable certified trainer. I would be happy to answer any questions/concerns you might have on the topic. I specialize in Injury & Special Populations in my studio, but also train pro athletes, dancers and the general population--lol.
In Good Heath....Melanie

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mel,

I live in Lakeland. Where was your studio? Several years ago I used to go to My Time Studio. I took Yoga and Pilates classes.

Almost forgot to say....yes I use my reformer! love love love it! I also have the rebounder with it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mary J--by Lake Hollingsworth...I moved to the Keys 9 years ago. I don't know the studio you mentioned, but I am sure a lot has changed. I was the only person teaching Pilates in the area at the time. I also guest taught at Harrison School of Performing Arts (I set up their Pilates room). I am visiting Lakeland much more often now (family) and getting reacquainted with the area. You should FB me & we can chat some (I know we have Dr Bill in common too).

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
You know I have never done an activity as dang hard as Pilates. I simply could not believe how hard it was and I consider myself athletic and core strong. What a great strength builder. I still prefer a good class with a highly qualified yoga instructor though....I just don't like to hurt as bad as Pilates makes me hurt!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Jayda--glad you got to take a class, but sorry it wasn't for you. Pilates Mat work as a whole is not my favorite....I am very picky about what mat exercises I give my students for homework and if I teach a mat class always have several modifications for each exercise. I have a pretty extensive studio with all the Pilates apparatus and Gyrotonics, so I don't have to rely on the mat work for more than an adjunct. One has to be very careful of neck, back and wrist issues when doing the work....but it is one great strength builder along with flexibility, that's for sure :)

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Jayda--glad you got to take a class, but sorry it wasn't for you. Pilates Mat work as a whole is not my favorite....I am very picky about what mat exercises I give my students for homework and if I teach a mat class always have several modifications for each exercise. I have a pretty extensive studio with all the Pilates apparatus and Gyrotonics, so I don't have to rely on the mat work for more than an adjunct. One has to be very careful of neck, back and wrist issues when doing the work....but it is one great strength builder along with flexibility, that's for sure :)

I did mat based Pilates for about six months, I would like try apparatus though. I have done yoga for a long time and there is a huge difference between yoga and Pilates! I will say that I no longer lift weights and have maintained good tone through yoga alone.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mel,

Do you know if Christa ever took her chi to Dr Latter? I sent her a pm to let her know I got her in to Dr Latter..but never heard anything after that.

The studio is no longer here :( They offered yoga and mat pilates, no machines.

Whats your FB name?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mel,

Do you know if Christa ever took her chi to Dr Latter? I sent her a pm to let her know I got her in to Dr Latter..but never heard anything after that.

The studio is no longer here :( They offered yoga and mat pilates, no machines.

Whats your FB name?
Crazy, Christa dropped out of site! We were texting & emailing pretty regular and then poof...gone. Hope she's ok. I was looking forward to meeting her on one of my trips up. You can reach me on FB...Melanie Snell. :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
yay pilates! hehe! i just had to add in here since im in the world of pilates now! i just got myself a new exercise mat too, my tailbone was killing me from the cheap yoga one i had! so yea i have been doing home exercises from this lady's vids on youtube which is awesome! was working out so much for 30 mins on cardio and was sweating sooooo much!
Blogilates
she is such a motivator and an inspiration to soooooo many people online and in person! ive been slacking a bit though because i just got aunt flo 2 days ago so after shes gone ill be going back to it! :] its so much fun! even with KC licking me and bein on my tummy when im doin ab workouts , ha! :albino:

·
Registered
395 Posts
You know I have never done an activity as dang hard as Pilates. I simply could not believe how hard it was and I consider myself athletic and core strong. What a great strength builder. I still prefer a good class with a highly qualified yoga instructor though....I just don't like to hurt as bad as Pilates makes me hurt!
Pilates are so hard... I promised myself that I wouldn't do another one after high school... The pain :p

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts