Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing my little one's biting when she plays issue, with a friend who has a very well behaved dog. Her dog is very friendly and is very playful and very obedient. He is a mixed breed, not a chihuahua.

So she told me that when he was little his biting was out of control that she resorted to pinching him just enough to make him feel it whenever he would bite. She said that after a week or so he stopped and only bit by mistake after that. She also told me that was the only time she did something like that and never used "pain" to train him in anything else.

I cant even consider pinching my tiny one's butt no matter how hard she bites us, and it truly hurts! Shes just a baby and even if she werent I dont have that in me. We just constantly stop playing with her when she bites but it doesnt really work yet. But pinching?? Has anyone ever done or heard of this?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Actually yes I have! "Pinching" sounds a little harsher than what I do; but whenever I need to correct a dog we use two fingers to mimick the 'bite' of a momma dog to her litter. It's using "their" language to communicate when you are displeased with inappropriate behavior. But it's not really a pinch; just a gentle jab to get their attention; I would never hit my dogs. Its just a gentle poke in the neck or shoulder area, enough to get their attention and get the point across without hurting them; and each time we do so we use the term "Whoopin's!" Now, let me clarify there are no actual "whoopin's" going on; lmao; I just find the term really cute and old fashioned. So now, whenever they misbehave and we say "(dog name) Whoopin's!!" they listen and I no longer have to pair it with the physical reprimand!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoopins...! Thats funny, I had a laugh...Here in Greece we say "da-da".

Thanks for your answer. Im not sure I will use the 'da-da' method but I would like the opinions.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
There is absolutely no need for any kind of negative reinforcement, especially
with the very alert, responsive and intelligent Chihuahua. Positive reinforcement
techniques take longer to show results, but they help build a bond with your dog
instead of breaking it. Your pup is young and teething, what you should be doing
is providing plenty to chew on, such as bully sticks, nylabones, raw bones, etc.
Teething causes great discomfort, you can help sooth your pup's sore gums by
giving some frozen green beans instead of her usual treats. If she bites you, you
simply let out a yelping "Ouch" sound, to let her know she hurt you, just like
young pups do when one bites the other. Most importantly stay patient and
considerate, this too shall pass, especially with help of positive reinforcement
and proper chewing outlets. It's important to reward her when she is playing
nicely without biting, you can do that by simply using praise in a happy voice.
Don't forget to also take her out on walks, exercise helps relieve stress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hurting your dog is just stupid no matter how small the pain - stupid because it's not necessary. All dogs bite at some point in their life. The first thing one must know is, that a dog will bite and that it will pass with time and proper correction.
Just say "ah-ah!" in a sharp tone, no need to yell. Then stop all contact, put him on the floor if he's up. All contact stops after this, do not even look at him. If he continues to bite (your toes fx), just walk away without a sound. Go somewhere he can't reach you, fx the kitchen table.
Then wait until he gets bores and starts doing something else. Then you can contact him again or let him contact you.
This procedure must be followed EVERY time he bites no matter where and when.

Works like a charm. No silly "mother-dog-teeth" or hurting...

(srsly, I did this mother-teeth to our dog to see how it works, and she just looked at me like "Wuut? You play or you cuddle?" - I think it works because the dog learns to interpret it as a correction due to the body-language or even vocalization of the owner - not because it's like canine teeth. Then again, it's not at all like canine teeth, it's like two fingers. Feel the difference for yourself ;) )

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I agree with LS. I wouldn't pinch Cricket, although I have heard of the "mimicking mom" technique. What you are doing, stopping play, may take a while, but she will get it eventually. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts