Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he keeps missing his pads and it didn't make a difference how many pads we put down. Our floor is starting to stink. So, I got him a puppy litter box and put the pad inside it. And of course, when my back was turned, he promptly lifted his leg and peed five to ten inches away from it. BAD DOG! so, now he is whining cause he is being punished and has to sit in his kennel for a little bit. Do you think he'll figure it out? We live in an apt so there isn't anywhere we can put the pads where there is no carpet. we are moving into a condo and it is the same thing. And, we don't want to put tile throughout. I really hoped the box would work. Of course, it has only been here for twenty mins, and I should give him time to figure it out, but I mean, it really irritates me that he does that! He is sevenmonths old and doesn't know how to keep it on the pad! he even poops on the carpet (often walks when he poops) or will just go next to it. And the pad is clean, nothing on it. I love everything about him, but this. I have to have major surgery next week, and he needs to use the box now, I won't be able to clean up after him. ANd, if I stay in patient for a week, will he be okay? My husband leaves at seven am and doesn't get home until almost six. No one will be home to take him out of his kennel. We can't leave food or water b/c he dumps it, and we can' tleave a pad in there b/c he shreds it. HELP!!!!!!! :cry:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you need to give him time with the box and see if this helps because he may soon associate having to climb up with peeing etc - where if you have carpet and pads it doesnt feel much different - what are you cleaning up with after he goes on the carpet - you need to use something like natures miracle or a vinegar solution as this will neutalise as well as clean.

is there no one who can look after him in the day while you are in hospital - or maybe you could hire a pet sitter for the week to come in and let him out and just check on him.

hope evrything works out well and you are ok.

it really is just perciverence with toileting and you need to keep on to him and watch him carefully and when he loloks like he needs to go take him to the pad :wave:

good luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
Eleven or so hours seems like a long time to leave a puppy alone without food/water or being able to be let out to go to the washroom. I agree with Clare in maybe getting a pet-sitter, or maybe you know someone who would be willing to watch him during the day? Or, there is a large pet store chain where I live that offers 'pet-sitting' and it is not TOO expensive, so maybe you could look into something like that?

About the peeing issue, do you have tiles or non-carpeted floor in your kitchen? I know my chi doesn't like to pee on hard surfaces (like our tiled kitchen floor), so maybe you could put the peepad on a non-carpeted surface?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies- I would put the pad in the kitchen, but it is way too small, and hubby doesn't want to have to walk over it or around it. Right now they are out of the way. I know this is our fault, but we just don'thave the hard floor space. Good idea about the pet sitter or we could even board him just during the day. Of course, we have to find a vet that stays open past five thirty or six, that can be hard.
is eight hours okay to leave him alone? We may just have to let him dump his water and food for a while til he gets used to it, because some day I will go back to work and my guess is I will work eight hour days. Please, keep the suggestions coming. Luckily, my surgery was pushed back a week, so we have more time to prepare.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have noticed a lot of "Doggy Day Care" places going up in my area.
Have you ever tried to find a place like that?
Also there are some places that are just for boarding your pets. They are not associated with a vet.

Can you get a piece of linolium large enough to go under an x-pen?
Or do like Boogaloo did and get 2 x-pens and hook them togather and put his litter pan and food in there. Of coarse this will require a larger piece of linolium. You could put it in the living room, dining room or spare room.
Can you get some ceramic bowls for him? They are heavier and don't get knocked over so easy.

If cost is an issue, you might want to figure out which would be cheaper, bording him, day care or getting the linolium and x-pens.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
think we figured it out. When hubby leaves we will put him in the kitchen and get a baby door or something so he has room to play but can access his pads and food. Can't get anything he can cliimb-when he was 8 weeks he had mastered that already!

I really really appreciate all your input!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AAAHHHHH!!!! he doesn't GET IT! I think the box is too small, even though it is for toy breeds. He promptly lifted his leg this am and peed on the carpet AGAIN. Then, he pooped on the carpet, different spot. I SWEAR-why is he so slow when it comes to figuring it out? USE THE PADS!
So, I sprayed Petzyme and febreeze on the carpet, hoping it is just the smell causing him to go there, and then I will exchange the tray for a bigger one. I love my baby, but this is annoying the heck out of me!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hi, is Pip neutered? I was just curious as to why he lifts his leg :) . Mine like to run and poop at the same time and that is soooo annoying. I really have no idea why they do that. They only do it sometimes though. Like Clare said, you just have to be very persistant with the potty training thing. Mine aren't fully potty trained yet either and they are almost 11 months and 10 months old. I would just recommend keep cleaning it with the neutralizer stuff and keep trying to show him where to go. Just like you, I LOVE my boys, they are like my kids but them not being fully potty trained yet is a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank god my baby isn't the only one!!!
Yeah, he is neutered, for just about two months now. weird, he used to just squat, but after he was neutered, he started to lift.
pip does walk while he poops too, it is sooo odd! Glad to know though that he is not the only one who is a little older with the problem. Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Mikey has no issues w/ peeing or pooping. he really is well behaved w/ all that. After he poops or pees he wipes it feet off in the grass, he kinda kicks them out behind him. he is very clean. He is just very tempermantal and needs an atitude adjustment at times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts