Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I love the way Pidge is educating us on American culture :) Got to ask what the square thing on the plate is? It looks like cake, but I don't think even weirdo Americans eat cake and meat together....do they?! lol
Also, what is the difference between ice cream and gelato? I thought gelato was just the Italian word for ice cream....
I love the photo tour of NYC, it is almost as good as being there.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I love the way Pidge is educating us on American culture :) Got to ask what the square thing on the plate is? It looks like cake, but I don't think even weirdo Americans eat cake and meat together....do they?! lol
Also, what is the difference between ice cream and gelato? I thought gelato was just the Italian word for ice cream....
I love the photo tour of NYC, it is almost as good as being there.
It's cornbread!

NYC is the cultural hub of America. I'm glad Pidge takes the time to help the international community out :)

Great pics Pidge.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Maybe I should start doing the same, but with British culture lol. (Lager, Chavs, Council Estates, football hooligans,etc LMAO) Joking aside, I was walking the dogs through a really pretty village today, and it struck me how stereotypically 'English' it looked, just like I would imagine foreign people would think England is. I have just got a new camera, maybe I should have a go, although I am admittedly a dreadful photographer.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Maybe I should start doing the same, but with British culture lol. (Lager, Chavs, Council Estates, football hooligans,etc LMAO) Joking aside, I was walking the dogs through a really pretty village today, and it struck me how stereotypically 'English' it looked, just like I would imagine foreign people would think England is. I have just got a new camera, maybe I should have a go, although I am admittedly a dreadful photographer.
Take pics! I've always wanted to live in the UK, but the fact that you don't eat pancakes and bacon together for breakfast is making me rethink that goal.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Shakes head, you're all mad lol.

Gelati is Italian & is not milk based, whereas icecream is.

Stella, you better be quick & take those pics, from what I see of late my dear, 'ol Motherland just isn't all that British anymore, which I find totally devastating and puts me off ever going back - ditto south of France, a friend just returned from there and hated every minute so much that it clouded her ability to take in the architecture & former beauty.

Groans, stop with the pancankes & bacon, I've a sensitive tummy in the mornings after 4 shots of espresso :)

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Pancakes, eggs, bacon and maple syrup is a celebration breakfast here!! It's gorgeous :)

Pidge my daughter has that book, it's actually a great read - look - whatever!!!!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Dee, the village I was in (Nunney) has a (ruined) castle complete with moat, thatched cottages, a duckpond, a manor house, all within about 100 yards of each other. Very picturesque. No-one local can afford to actually live there, but I do like to look :)

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
LOL - well it's a celebration breakfast here in this house maybe not in any other in Ireland!!

We first had that breakfast in Stirling in Scotland and loved it so much we now have it occassionally at home - so don't ask me it's origin other than we found it in Scotland :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Ah how I wish I could live in UK country, if only the weather was like it is here. I would walk myself to a skeleton here: Flickr: Nunney Photo Archive's Photostream

If I ever win lotto I will definitely buy a home in the Cotswolds!

How can they eat that 'stuff' in Ireland but not England? That's weird!
Hey now, don't knock my breakfast preferences. Us uncivilized Yanks like that "stuff". Lol.

I wanna visit the UK so badly, it's number 1 on my list of places to go. My family immigrated To Canada from England after WW1 and I'd love to see where they are from.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Ah how I wish I could live in UK country, if only the weather was like it is here. I would walk myself to a skeleton here: Flickr: Nunney Photo Archive's Photostream

If I ever win lotto I will definitely buy a home in the Cotswolds!

How can they eat that 'stuff' in Ireland but not England? That's weird!
Oh yes, the weather is awful ATM, really cold and the ground is still very wet, so not fun for walking. Glad you like Nunney, its a sweet little village that has several street fairs/festivals every year. I will have to get a pic of the pups trying not to fall in the castle moat.

Ashley, which part of England are your family from?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Oh yes, the weather is awful ATM, really cold and the ground is still very wet, so not fun for walking. Glad you like Nunney, its a sweet little village that has several street fairs/festivals every year. I will have to get a pic of the pups trying not to fall in the castle moat.

Ashley, which part of England are your family from?
I honestly don't know. I have been researching for years and haven't been able to find anything out. The problem is that it was my grandfathers family and he died when I was little. And because they went to Canada and not the US, I can't find access to immigration records. They didn't move to the US until after WW2. I don't know, I figured I could find more info in England. Do you guys have a census or something? I thought that going there could help. I do know that I have a thoroughly English last name. Apparently it is popular over there.

It's funny. I can trace my moms Russian grandmother who was smuggled through Ellis Island in a suitcase in 1931, but I can't find anything about a completely legit immigration because they went to Canada!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ash, the only 'uncivilised' thing about you crazy dang Yanks is that ye drive on the wrong side of the road. I'm NOT a nervous passenger, but I screamed the entire time I was in a car over there, drove the driver insane, but I was truly petrified at all those weird a$$ed turns and stuff.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Ash, the only 'uncivilised' thing about you crazy dang Yanks is that ye drive on the wrong side of the road. I'm NOT a nervous passenger, but I screamed the entire time I was in a car over there, drove the driver insane, but I was truly petrified at all those weird a$$ed turns and stuff.
Haha, see the way you all drive would scare the bejesus out of me!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
The husband and I went on a cruise and were seated with two couples from England and we started talking about different foods on plates together. I have to have different foods on different plates. Sometimes I'll have 4 different plates for one meal. They told me that it's not OCD, I'm just civilized! Haha

My husband's mom's family are all from England and his mom just had a deep ancestry DNA test done and the number one match was England. I've been a couple of times but we'll have to go back together to visit the places his grandparents are from.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Dee, the village I was in (Nunney) has a (ruined) castle complete with moat, thatched cottages, a duckpond, a manor house, all within about 100 yards of each other. Very picturesque. No-one local can afford to actually live there, but I do like to look :)
Oh, Stella, PLEASE take pics! I would LOVE to see that, and your pics are as close as I will probably ever get. :( I cannot even imagine how beautiful the English countryside is. I'm like Dee, I would be a skeleton walking myself to death just looking!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts