Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i havent switched permanently, i am studying a national diploma in animal management and i have been taught that dogs are omnivores. i belive this to be true but some people on the forum are feeding purley meat, which is what you would feed a carnivore. i have been taught that they need more than just meat is this true ?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
haha id love to do raw but atm with Hope and haaving a few of them id be much to worried id happily put Pumpkin on raw im planning to feed her on large kibble and Tripe which i was recommended by her breeder.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i havent switched permanently, i am studying a national diploma in animal management and i have been taught that dogs are omnivores. i belive this to be true but some people on the forum are feeding purley meat, which is what you would feed a carnivore. i have been taught that they need more than just meat is this true ?
you know I've been thinking this too, i've heard that you should give vegs, and fruits

i was looking at a natural magazine at work and i saw this website

https://secure.balanceit.com/_clients2/index.php

looks good

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Nah. Dogs are carnivores. Just look at their teeth. Compare to a cow's. :) Having said that, they are also opportunistic and will scavenge when given the chance. I don't believe they need veggies or fruits at all. However, I will occasionally give Brody cooked veggies off our plates or a bite of a piece of fruit. It's not a big part of his diet though. Way less than 10% of his total intake. More of a snack. If you decide to do veggies, remember that whole veggies will just pass on through and nutrients won't be absorbed. To be processed, you must break down the cellulose wall. So if you feed veggies at all, make sure they are smashed up, blended, pulverized.

Here's a well written article on the carnivore vs omnivore debate, complete with skull pictures and detailed info on the anatomy of dogs and how they digest and process food. Very interesting.

http://aspenbloompetcare.com/2009/07/dogs-the-omnivore-carnivore-controversy.htm

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do wonder though, im sure all my lectures are not teaching me the wrong things. i will ask them more. but as far as i have so far been told is they are scavengers and omnivores.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
So taking a trip to pets at home 2mo i was sure they didn't sell anything that fitted! Daisy was like that when i first tried her on raw she's learnt to eat a lot quicker now!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
you know I've been thinking this too, i've heard that you should give vegs, and fruits

i was looking at a natural magazine at work and i saw this website

https://secure.balanceit.com/_clients2/index.php

looks good
I give it all..he eats all of it. There are certain nutrients that can be absorbed from fruit/veg that can compliment what they get from meat. It isn't like us where we sould eat a big salad and have some bit of meat or fish with it. LOL

Sometimes I think their little bodies need some of the vitamins and anti-oxidants from veg/fruit.

The dog I have is a definite omnivore..;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Dogs aren't omnivores.

In elementary school they teach you about Dinos. Ones with all sharp teeth are carnivores, ones with half and half are omnivores (like us), and ones with all blunt teeth are herbivores.

Dogs have all sharp teeth. And somehow people think that makes them omnivores? Hehe.

Dogs DO get nutrients from DIGESTED stomach contents.. so if you insist on feeding fruit/veg as a main source of "nutrients" (you will notice that they poop more, for one as their bodies get rid of the stuff they cant use ;) ) then please use Tripe or puree the stuff to all heck and back!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts