Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pixie is clearly very attached to 'me', Luna however is more attached to Pixie than 'us' which is quite sweet to watch as she follows her everywhere.
However ive noticed just recently Pixie getting grumpy with her and im wondering 'why'/'why now'?

We never give more attention to either, and share everything etc.
But recently when Pixie was on my lap, Luna was asleep on the floor, when Luna jumped up and Pixie snapped at her. I immediately put Pixie on the floor.
Then there was a time Pixie was snoozing and Luna woke her up and Pixie snapped at her. (It seems to be around sleeping?)
I can see when its going to happen the look in Pixies eye! However Ive only owned English Bull Terriers before and only had one foster dog that was 'snappy' - with not knowing foster dogs historys its hard to judge but with Pixie we've raised her so we are confused where the sudden snaps have come from.

(When I say snap I mean a quick growl so to speak and nip in Luna's direction - shes hasnt hurt Luna etc.)

Could it be as Luna may be approaching her first season?

Can anyone think of any reason why Pixie would do this? Or are a few snaps normal perhaps?

I cant think that its jealousy as it can happen when im not around, its not a daily occurance etc its just random and has only happened a few times. Its not food/toy related either as they can eat together fine and play fight with a toy etc Luna will take a toy and Pixie will let her and vice versa. Neither displays bullying behaviour nor fear etc.
Luna can jump around a fair bit but I dont feel as though she 'annoys' Pixie as Pixie can play along just as much too.
And they will snuggle up to each other to go to sleep! Very confused..

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have one (Hope) who likes to burrow under blankets and rest much more than the other two and if either even get close she goes berserk! She jumps up like she is going to attack or bite them. Ruby thinks it is a game and crouches down and nips at the blanket and tries to rip it off her. This occurs ONLY around sleeping. This does not happen any other time. She really enjoys her sleep. I wish the others slept (or tried to) as much!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Poppy is a little bit like that with our cat millie. If she is asleep on my lap & Millie jumps up poppy will leap up out of her sleep & bark or snap for a second. I think she does it because she is startled because a second later she realises who it is & immediately lays back & puts her head down or puts her face to Millies & licks her face, its so cute when she does that, it's like she is saying sorry. Could pixie be startled by the sudden movements?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She doesnt seem 'startled' as sometimes I can see when their snuggled together and Luna moves, I can see Pixie totally awake and looking at her in the corner of her eye then she snaps as though to say 'dont disturb me'!
Im watching out now for if it happens again if its the same sort of situation!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My first thoght when I read your post was that Pixie should be checked out by a vet. Sudden grumpiness or snappishness can signal that a dog is in pain. A bad tooth or arhritis pain for example. But then I looked back at your other posts and figured out how old your dogs are. I think that what you are seeing is perfectly normal. Your puppies are becoming dogs.

An adult dog will tolerate more foolishness from a puppy than from another adult dog. As tne puppy grows older better behaviuor is expected, much as we expect better behaviour as a child grows older. I think you are seeing two things - Pixie is not a pup any longer so she is establishing the ground rules for their adult relationship. Luna is still somewhat of a puppy so Pixie is teaching her. That being said, you have a say in those rules too and I think your immediate response to put Pixie out of your lap when she growled at Luna was correct. It's easier to correct that when it first starts than when it becomes a habit. Chis are famous for guarding laps so best to nip that in the bud.

They will work it out. I wouldn't intervene unless it actually escalates into a fight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts