Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone suggested to me to give Corky some plain yogurt to help replace the good bacteria he lost with the parasites? Does this sound right? If so, how much should I give him? He is about 1.5lbs, 8wks and will be finishing antibiotics on Sunday for Coccidia. He finished his Giardia antibiotics today. It sounds reasonable to me, but I just want to make sure it is ok for a Chi.

Thanks,

Heather

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I gave him about a 1/2 tsp at lunch and he LOVED it. I am going to try to give him about 1/2 tsp I think 3 times a day while he is on the antibiotics. I will make sure and give it about 3-4 hours after he has his morning and nightly antibiotics so the antibiotics don't defeat the purpose!

I think I will keep him on it continuously probably cutting down to 1-2 times a day after the anitbiotics. I have read it can help keep a balance in this GI tract and the Coccidia won't be able to flourish thereby helping lessen the chance of a relapse.

Hope that sounds reasonable!

Heather

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Sorry but it is actually not worth it - if that is what you are trying to do.....unfortunately a misconception. By the time the yogurt gets there thru all the acids etc etc it is destroyed. The only pill or probiotic that I know of that can get thru all that is an special coated tablet (that survives the acids etc ) or Primnal Defense crushed and put in their food.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
hnj22 said:
Is Primal Defense carried at alot of stores? Do you know where to look?
Vitamin Shoppee is on line and you can get it that way

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/browse/sku_detail.jhtml;$sessionid$0O35FJJNB2EL2CQUAOWSFEQKCQB1AGXK?SkuID=225858&BreadCrumbType=SearchResult

otherwise I am not sure who carries it and where it is in your area... :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! One more question. How much per day do I give him? If it is one pill should I space it out with his meals.

Also, is this something I should keep him on to help avoid a coccidia relapse?

I want to do all I can for him.

Heather

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
hnj22 said:
Thanks! One more question. How much per day do I give him? If it is one pill should I space it out with his meals.

Heather
can never really give too much but one pill divided into 2 x's a day should be good.

and yes some dogs like yogurt as a treat! :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KB mamma said:
hnj22 said:

Heather
can never really give too much but one pill divided into 2 x's a day should be good.

and yes some dogs like yogurt as a treat! :)
Thank you so much for your help. I will get him some asap!

Heather :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.