Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used to let my neighbors girl play with my leo and all the time i would tell them to not play with hands with the puppy as they would teach it to play bite hard and they didnt listen to me told there mom as well didnt care. now me and my son have to deal with the painful bloody bitting. btw now they wont even bother coming over and asking for leo they also wanted him and i always said no to them thats when they started being like that with him. i have triied ignoring him and he will start bitting at my feet. ill put him in his cage with a toy he cries. i put rice in a waterbottle to make a loud noise when i shake it still nothing. :( he was such a good boy before the neighbors.

sorry for a long post but I need some advice!!! please and thank you in advance.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How old is he? Use stuffed animals, chew toys, etc. He's teething as a baby would and he wants attention. Have a toy at hand at all times and when he starts the biting behavior, give toy. Redirect attention to toy. Play with him with the toy. Don't just give toy and expect to walk away. Hold one end of toy while he bites other end. Throw toy across room and have him bring it back. Be patient. The neighbors didn't make it easy, but they're not fully to blame as pups go through teething. You could give a carrot or piece of sweet potato to help with the gums.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Good advice above. I wanted to add that I put a wash cloth in water and then freeze it and let them chew on it, this is really soothing to their gums when teething. I also give out a high pitched ouch and remove my hand and then give a toy to chew on, kind of like what their littermate would do if they bit to hard they would yelp. Teach your son to do the same.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I remember those puppy days when we were playing and she would growl like that. They all do that trying to act tough. It doesn't mean they're trying to be vicious. It's just part of their nature. I used to laugh when ever she'd do this. She still does this once in a great while.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Cora does the same thing. She would rather chew on human fingers and toes than any of her toys. When she bites I actually pick her up and set her aside with a sharp NO BITING! And stop the playing for a few minutes. This takes a lot of patience. After weeks of this it is beginning to pay off. Now when I say no biting she will stop. She is just 5 months and her attention span is very short yet. So in a few minutes she tries again. A sharp NO BITING is working. If she doesn't stop I say it again NO BITING and I pick her up and move her to the side of me and refuse to play for a few minutes. This has worked for me in the past with other pups too. Just be patient and consistent. We, with puppies, do feel your pain!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks you guys. im doin much more training with him and its helping. he still goes for my feet and hands to bite but its its better:). lol.
im ignoring him and hes not allowed on the bed no more thing that helped a lot more. :thumbup:
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts