Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what your opinions are on this. I've heard all my life that play fighting with a pup will make them grow up mean. What do you say about it? Hershey really enjoys (gentle) play fighting. He gets excited and growls. This won't make him a mean dog will it??? :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I highly doubt that it will make a dog mean. When they're just pups with their litter mates they wrestle around with each other. So play fighting with a human mommy or daddy shouldn't be a problem either. Lina loves to fight with me and my bf all the time. She gets a little out of control sometimes and has to stopped, but other than that it's fine. She's a very sweet dog too.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I did a lot of play fighting with Cooper as a pup and there's not a mean bone in his body. :D
I did make sure that when we did play fight, it was always a stuffed animal "attacking" him or playing tug of war and not my hand. I don't know if things would have turned out different but I can tell you that when we get on the floor to play "Jackie Chan" I'll smack him upside the head with a kung-fu move and he'll growl at me and run around but he never puts his teeth on my hands.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my hands/fingers are really taking a beating from Hershey's teeth. I use little stuffed toys, but no matter what I try, he prefers to play fight and chew my hands. Even mine and Hubbys neck and ears when he can get to them. What is it with 'em wanting the flesh???? LOL! :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
The only problem with play fighting with humans is it teaches them that it's OK to bite humans, which shouldn't be OK.
I don't think it makes them mean, it just tells them it's OK to bite.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Every single chi puppy i've ever had went through a stage where they bite too hard when i played with them. They bit my hands, fingers, toes, feet etc. I would also try to get them to bite the toy but they prefer to nip who they're playing with i guess. That's just puppy play. All of them except a couple realized real quick (because i yelled "OUCH!!') that you don't bite the mommy too hard. The others took alittle longer but eventually got the idea. But i can promise you not a single one ever became mean and snappy when they got older. And every one learned how to play bite gently. I never "punished" a single one of them. I did have to stop the play and distract them with something else and on occasion turn them over on their back, hold them down and "growl" at them. Believe me, they understand this. :lol:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think they usually know the difference between play and actually being 'mean'. Angel plays rough with daddy because he likes it. She knows not to play like that with anyone else though unless they allow it. If she gets too rough with me, she has learned that when mommy says "Gentle!!" that she needs to lighten up a bit. :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I know with my Moms little dog, a chi/yorkie mix, she certainly didn't grow up mean. She's set in her ways, for sure, but not mean. I think my Moms dog, named Mi Mi, is the most spoiled dog in the world. That dog HAS to be right with my Mom at all times and will not even eat or potty if she is not there. Won't even let a stranger anywhere near my Mom. Anyway, this is Moms dog Mi Mi below. When she was a small pup, she looked Completely Chi. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts