Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some unforeseen obstacles in my life I wasn't able to pick up Luxie at 12 weeks old and will pick her up at 15 or 16 weeks, I'm so sad that I can't pick her up earlier :( I am BEYOND SAD.

But now I'm also worried!!! Will this affect her socialization? I know that puppies leaving too early or too late have socialization issues, and I will be picking her up too late I guess :(

Will she turn out normal? I will love her even if she gets difficult but of course if I can prevent from getting aggressive towards people or other dogs I'll do it. What should I do? Is there nothing I can do at this point?? There's still hope right?? Any advice?? Please help!! <3

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
All hope is certainly not lost. Socializing should start with the breeder and continue with the new owners as you well know. Of course every dog is different and learn to socialize at a different pace. Personally, I would work on socializing with your new pup as soon as get her...with new places, sites, sounds, animals and other people which I know you will do. Praise every advancement and work with her through any difficulties. You might hit a few rough patches but at the pups age I do not think any of them will be too hard to over come. Praise, love and patience go along way no matter the age of the dog.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Honestly, for me, it has been dependent on the personality of the dog more than when we got them.

We got Hope at weeks (I thought that was fine, I did not know that was too early) and she is such a sweetheart. She is worried about our granddaughter when she cries and brings one of her toys as a gift to anyone who comes to the house. She will instantly be in the lap of anyone who sits and she will kiss you for hours if you would let her.

We got Ruby at 14 weeks and she is shy, stand-offish and skittish. She does not like raised voices and goes to a bed if anyone is in trouble, even if it is not her. She is a barker and does not like other animals.

We got Eden at 8 months (straight from her breeder, no other homes). She is happy-go-lucky, loves to be held, is a wiggle worm and LOVES people and animals. She is an easy dog but she could sleep more for my taste!

So, in my case, I really do feel as if who they are plays a bigger role than when I got them.
I know that will be echoed by those here who have rescued dogs of all ages who are beautifully socialized in spite of their history.

·
Registered
946 Posts
We have 4 chi's and they all came at a slightly different age and time...13 weeks to 11 months. All are fine, no GREAT! Just socialize from the minute you get her home. Let her see everything and hear lots of noises inside and out. As was mentioned earlier, the breeder should be socializing now, so no all is not lost;)

Relax,get ready and enjoy:):):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts