Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm brand new to this board and I'm writing to you in a panic. My beloved Opie, a 4 year old wonderful chi, is having a severe attack of his knee problems tonight. When he was less than a year old I noticed he was sometimes walking a little funny. His vet at the time told me about the common patella problems and said it didn't look too severe and Opie would learn to adjust. The vet died and last year I took him to a new fellow who immediately scooped Opie up and told me he needed surgery immediately on both back legs. Because there is no facility here in Florence that would do such a surgery I would have to take him out of town and that hospital quoted $1,000 per leg, 2 months of recovery where he would have to stay off his feet and be carried around, and no guarantee of correction. I work three jobs and I would work four for the money to help Opie if i thought it really would. They told me he needed to lose weight (he's 10 pounds, deer leg, larger dog). They also told me to give him 1/4 baby aspirin every day and 1/4 tablet of glucosemine. This has been helping tremendously but tonight, Opie got up and fell off his chair. Now he is hopping on three legs and I'm hysterical. I gave him 1/2 of a pain pill the vet had prescribed and right now he's asleep on a heating pad. I don't mean to have you rehash history others on this board may already know, but is there anyone out there with experience with this. How can I help Opie? Thank you. I don't know where to turn.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Poor little Opie!!!!

I just have a few questions for you in order to get an idea of whats going on. Have many vets have you seen about the concern? Did the vet that last saw him say it was defintatley a knee problem? Is Opie eating or drinking his water? Is he acting like his normal self temperment wise or is he acting strange? Just let me know if you can and I will try to help you out and figure out what might be going on. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Yes, he is eating and drinking just fine. He saw one vet who was his vet for most of his life, a wonderful young man who had a real gift for animals. Unfortunately he didn't realize his gift and his personal life became too overwhelming and he took his own life. Trying to find another who would love Opie as much as Dr. McKinnon did was not easy, especially when there are so few to choose from here. The vet my groomer recommended confirmed Opie has the "floating" knee problem, but he also said he had malformed hips - his back legs have always been sort of like a bulldog's. now he never took an x-ray, he just watched him walk, felt his legs and said he needed to go out of town to this surgical hospital he recommended for this surgery in which they would basically break his hips and his back legs, sculpt out a new channel in his knee cap for the tendon, reset his legs and hips and it "might" work. that seemed so painful and horrible to me! he said opie would basically be in a sling for about a month and would have to be held up over his papers to go to the bathroom, would need to be carried around, etc. today, after a night on a heating pad and lots of tlc and a couple of pain pills, he seems a little bit better but i know it's just a matter of time. last night he could put no weight on his left back leg. i did see on one of the sites linked to this that you can buy ramps to get up on furniture. my apartment is filled with little foot stools so opie can make the leap from floor to stool to wherever. maybe the ramps are the way to go. other than the rear leg problems, he's wonderful. eating, protecting me, playing with the cat, chewing on his rawhides. but last night scared me to death!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is there any way of getting an X-ray done for Opie? I just think that it would give you more insight on what the true porblem is. I mean it may be a problem with both the knee and hip, but an X-ray would be helpful. I just feel like before you think about this extensive and costly surgery you should be advised on the exact problem with Opie. I mean the fact that it "might" work is strange to me. Have you done any research of this surgeical procedure? when Opie walks does his hind legs shake or does he look like his back legs are drunk? Have you ever had any issue with his spine?

You know I flew out to Detroit a few weeks ago and was reading the Sky Mall Magazine on the flight and saw those little ramps and went crazy for it. My Pango is also overweight and it would be perfect for him. I think it would be something to consider for little Opie. I feel that it would be more comfortable for him and of course you might feel a bit more at ease. I am thinking about getting one for my little stinker I think it would be a great investment. :wave:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there!! I have the same issue with one of my yorkie/chis, Blaze . Both his back legs are like that but he is only a year old, yesterday!! My vet said he may or may not need surgery but if he ever did that the surgery isn't a permanent fix but it will help and no they do not need to be held or not be able to play. He said the way they do surgery today is better then 20 years ago and you would just have to limit the exercise and watch him. The vet put him on anti inflammatories for 3 weeks he has been off them now for a week and hasn't showed any signs of a problem. I am hoping that he won't have to have surgery but after talking with him about it I feel a little better that he won't have to be locked up and carried everywhere. He weighs about 9 pounds. Alos I do have a ramp for my bed and it was built by a family friend, much cheaper then buying one already made and then I know for sure it will last too and very sturdy. I have built little steps for my couch for all my dogs to get on espically ye little baby, he is only 4 months old. I hope this helps!! I know what you are going thru!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts