Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Bruiser is 6 weeks old, and new to our house, I just brought him home. Well, I'd like some tips on how to familiarize him and get him to be a little more confident. He seems to be scared all the time, he won't let me put him down, he won't hardly eat won't drink and hasn't gone to the bathroom yet. He's only been here for 6 hours so I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Start off by holding him and walking around the house, maybe trying just one room at a time. A big house is a lot to get used to in one day. Then I would but him on the ground and kind of get on my knees and say its ok, (chi's seem to like it when you get on their level) and maybe give him a treat. Then stand up and just kinda let him follow you around. Or if he has a favorite toy or bed make sure it is near him. I would just take it day by day one room at a time.

By no means am I a chi expert, but I hope it helps! :D

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
When I first got Lina I let her walk around the house and smell everything. I was in each room with her and played with her in each room to let her know it wasn't scary to be in there or anything. She followed me from room to room for a while and finally got confident enough to venture all over the place lol. She was 4 months old though...not 6wks. If you think about it, you're taking the place of this little ones birth mommy. He hasn't been away from her for 1 minute since birth (I'm guessing) and 6 wks is really young to leave his birth mommy. So, just carry him around and cuddle him and make him feel secure :). He'll warm up to everything soon enough. If you're giving him dry food he might not be able to eat it. You might want to wet it a little and try it that way. Others will have more advice for the eating stuff. My Lina was already on dry food when we brought her home. So I just had to make her feel at home :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not sure how much help I can be

But I was in your exact situation a week ago. Only Wiz was out of control the entire first day, running around and playing with my father, niece, sister and anyone else who would allow him to lick their toes. It took a while that day before he would eat and go to the bathroom but I've since learned he does that in new environments. As long as the vet has seen him and said he was good to go I wouldn't worry too much about it he's just getting used to your loving home. I would probably however let him down a little more often, in his own little area, so he doesn't become co-dependent but other than that he should be fine. Have fun with your baby!

P.S. I love "Bruiser", hopefully he won't end up in court!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts