Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm so scared that somthing is wrong with my lil baby...i noticed yesterday that her skin (it used to be pinkish) is starting to darken. it's getting very dark around her thighs and her ears and on her stomach. the only thing that she has been doing differently lately is spending alot of time outside, and also we recently got another puppy, it is a pit bull and they play together a lot, but that's it. she hasn't been acting different, and she hasn't been scratching or anything, but it's just soo dark...i am so worried please help me if you know anything about this...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think your baby is okay. Both of my chi's have gotten darker skin as they have gotten older. In fact, Olivia, who is fawn and was very light skinned, has not only gotten darker, but a bit purple-ish. She is perfectly healthy, just growing. Unless your puppy seems to be in pain, is having some other obvious changes in the skin, like sores or is losing a lot of hair, I think she is fine. Keep us posted. We like to know how everyone's babies are doing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You actually brought a chi into a home w/a pit bull?? Sorry, I know these dogs are sweet, but have heard they can change just like that. They are so full of muscle that I would be afraid even when they are playing, sometimes dogs do not know how strong they are. I used to have german shepards and I would have to grab their mouths off of me when we would play so that I could let them know they were hurting me. (hope that made sense.)
Ok now about the dark color thing, I am so not a professional as we all know here, but I have had some experience w/my last dog who got fleas before she died. Even after the fleas were gone, I noticed her skin underneath had became very dark. Well I was told that was Flea Larva (or do they call that flea dirt??), know that sounds gross, but I knew it had to have something to do w/the fleas, cuz that was the only time it turned that dark color. I remember I had to bath her real good, but it is hard to get off. Just make sure she doesn't have that. Now I do know too that my last dog did get darker underneath there, but this was definitely darker and a different.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't have any experience about skin changing color, but if it worries you take her to the vet. It's better to be safe then sorry. I am concerned because, according to you, it seems like it changed color suddenly instead of over time. The best advise I can give you, is take her to the vet just to make sure. You'll feel a lot better after you do. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhh sorry, I was just rereading my last post and it sounds not so nice!! I didn't mean for it to sound like that!!! I just have had some very bad experience w/pitbulls! My neighbor has one and he is huge and so honestly that is a big reason why we put up a privacy fence!! He scares the krap out of me. Plus some good friends of ours had a sweet little chi and one day her little chi was barking and growling in the garage, and a pitbull came into the garage and had her cornered and then of course he got her. This was devastating, in fact channel 2 news did a report on it. I think they did put the pitbull to sleep, but the owner got nothing!! He should have been responsible since his dog came into my girlfriends yard. Ok, so just be careful w/a powerful dog like that around a chi, he can hurt her even during playtime. Honestly, I am glad you came here to seek help for your chi's discoloring, I would call your vet to double check. Hope she is ok!!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
no skin discoloursation is absolutely normal - when they are puppys there belly and skin underneath is usually a lovely pink and then over time it changes my 2 have gone like a purpely brown - nothing to worry about at all.

have you posted this topic already somewhere as im sure ive answered it already...........oh well :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a million

i just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your advice. i went ahead and made an app. at the vet for monday. i just have to be sure.
oh, and i know that sounded kinda nuts about letting my lexi pooh hang out with a pit bull, but the pit was only 6 weeks when we got her, and now they are best buddies. lexi is so protective of her, and she mothers her and it is just so cute to see them running around. what makes it even cuter is they match. they are both fawn with white on the face and on the paws. i cant wait to see how lexi is gonna react once bellah is like 8 times her size...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I was held hostage by pitbulls lol

Today I went to leave my house w/ my kids ..I open my door and there was 2 pitbulls just sitting there. They seemed really nice but I wouldn't let my kids out until they left.
My hubbys friend has 2 pitbulls and 2 chihuahuas and they get along great but... his cousin came down w/ his pitt bull and at the time they owned a yorkie, the pitt attacked the yorkie and killed it. They had the pitt put to sleep. I notice around here a lot of young boys (teenagers) are getting pitts. From what I understand they fight them. :shock:
Also my little boy was on the floor playing w/ their chihuahua when their pitt bull (which is supposedly nice) jumped at my little boys face. Scared the crap out of me, the dog did nothing to Matt except scare us. I have not brought Matt back to their house since! I guess it's all in how you raise them :?:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Everyone has had negative experiences with one type of breed or another. Here is a really funny story...

I broght Kylie to my mother's work (Mitzubishi) after her hip surgery because everyone there loves her and wanted to see her in her cast. She was wandering around my mothers office when one of the salesmen came in. He took one look at her and jumped back scared to death. We all looked at him in shock and asked what was wrong. All he said was "Is that a Pomeranian?!?!" I told him she was a mix, but she did have pomeranian in her. He automatically said "I hate Pomeranians!!!" I was kindof offended with his reaction, but one of the office people asked him why he hated them. Turns out this 6ft 3'' guy was attacked by a Pomeranian and is scared to death of them. To think this guy was scared of Kylie!! :shock: :lol: He will never live it down. To top it all off this guy owns three Chows!

Personally I do not like pits or rotts, but thats because of personal experiences. I also dont agree with letting toy dogs live with large dogs, but again thats from personal experience (Kylie and her broken leg). But you ask others out there and they have toy breeds and large breeds living with eachother just fine. Heck, I kept Kylie totally isolated from dogs bigger then her and Tequila of all dogs ran into her and dislocated her hip, so I followed the rules and Kylie still got hurt.

Sillymom - Your post wasnt that mean. Dont worry :wink: Thank you though for apologyzing when you thought you came across too harsh! :)

-Jessica

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i understand

i understand why you would all be hesitant. and we are taking precautions, we never let lexi and bellah play without supervision, and as soon as bellah gets to be as big as lexi, (she's almost there) they wont be ruffhousing anymore. if you raise a pit right, then theres not really much to worry about. theyre main problem is they don't realize their own strength, which is why its ok for them to play now that she's a puppy...but in a couple of weeks it'll be done with :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
i really wouldnt start now because she will be like well you let me play with her yesterday and now you wont - this is something that could trigger a pit bull - they are so unpredictable and they really are a danger to kids and smaller animals otherwise why would they be against the law to own in this country - if you are found to be owning one it will be destroyed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i used to feel the same way until i owned one. and although they are trying to implement that law, it's not like that here, and i also live out of the city limits. now that i have a pit, i can't imagine her being destroyed... but to make myself more clear, my chi is an inside dog, she only goes outside with us...and when bellah is bigger she will be confined to the back yard, and lexi will get the front...

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My son had a pit. She is a very sweet dog. She was just very hyper. I am sure most of the problem with her being hyper was because my son never walked her or anything.
My sons father has her now.
I know there are some pits that are very nice dogs. Just like any other breed, it's all in the way you raise them.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
there were that many children mauled etc and most dogs were raised well but they just have this streak in them - so they were banned and personally I feel England is alot safer for it - because I have seen children with that many stitches on their face you cant see their skin - so I am so glad they have been banned

JMO guys :wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
ozzysmom said:
there were that many children mauled etc and most dogs were raised well but they just have this streak in them - so they were banned and personally I feel England is alot safer for it - because I have seen children with that many stitches on their face you cant see their skin - so I am so glad they have been banned

JMO guys :wave:
I agree, they can be scary. I think it's mostly how they are raised but even the ones raised well can turn, especially on kids. My sister has a pitbull and she behaves well, she is an absolute sweetheart, but she is NEVER left alone with Alex (my daughter). And we don't allow the dogs to play around her either. I'm nervous that in their excitement they could hurt her.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I volunteered at a boarding kennel that also ran dog rescues. They mainly focused on akitas, greyhounds and pitbulls. I must say all the pitbulls I have seen there are friendly but the are so powerful. When I was playing with them, they get rough, but I don't think many of them realize how powerful they are. They must think they are little babies! Even their kisses are like a rain shower. LOL. It's really sad how bad of a repuatation these guys have, but really, it's alot of dog and ending up in the wrong hands definately could do some damage. I can see why Ozzy'smom's area banned them, it's too much of risk that the dog can end up in the wrong hands. Even if a pitbull just wanted to play, they could easily hurt a child, let alone a little dog. Like I said, I had a great experiance with the pitbulls I worked with and they were sweet and never meant to harm you at all. So I guess I can see both sides of the views. :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I totally agree there are 2 sides to every story and im sure some pit bulls are lovely dogs but I just wouldnt risk having one with my children and my chis as even if you are there to supervise play and interaction there is no way you would be able to stop a chi from getting killed in an instant with one bite...........its just a risk I wouldnt take - again just my view I have never owned a pit bull and working in hospitals etc have only seen the bad side but no amount of good could outweigh it otherwise why is there a total ban in the whole of England

:wave:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finally something I know about

Boy, I was feeling like slow because everyone here is so knowledgable and I was always saying, "Well, I guess......????"

But I do know about pitbulls. I also know about wolves, having owned one that we "inherited" from a guy who moved to town.

If the pitbull was bred by a professional breeder who breeds for pets and not for fighting, the dog will have been bred for temperament and you shouldn't have any trouble. Times to watch for are when either dog is being "challenged" --- watch to see how each one acts and make decisions accordingly.

A dog gotten out of the paper might be a bit more risky, but if you know that parents were not fighting pits, again, you're probably not going to have anything to worry about.

Does the pit allow you and the chi to touch his feeding dish? Eat some of his food? Lie in his favorite spot? If he allows that, he's probably going to be gentle. Pits that turn on people and other animals make the news and the ones that don't just live quiet lives with no press so there really are a lot more pitbulls that are great dogs than those that are monsters.

To be honest, I wouldn't allow any new animal alone with a dog as small as a chi until I was very certain of the new animal's temperament. That included the kitten we just got!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so lexi went to the vet

hey everybody! thanks for all the wonderful replies and advice. I took lexi to the vet yesterday (we got rescheduled from monday) and he asked if we had changed anything when it comes to what she eats, or ANYTHING..and dang we had changed 3 things in the past 2 weeks.
1. changed shampoo (we use baby shampoo) we switched to some doggy shampoo by "Hertz" BEWARE don't use this!!!
2. she usually eats a special diet of human food (Fresh meats and veggies) but since we got bellah, she likes to steal some of her doggy food..
3. she began spending like, 10 times more time outside in the sun...

so he said he thinks it's the shampoo and the sun AND the dogfood...good lord i wish he'd make up his mind. but anyways he gave us a special shampoo, said not to let her eat any of my pit bulls pedigree dogfood, and said to try to keep her out of the sun when it's really bright. dang..well we bathed her and she actually looks like her skin got lighter..i was so happy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts