Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help....... i have only had tullah 4 days but potty training her is really doing my head in...during the day is fine because i work from home...but i'm too scared to sleep at night .. just in case she pee's everywhere ....which she has as soon as i close my eyes or turn my back..
:(
every hour or after she has slept/eaten i put her on her training pads sometime she go sometime she doesn't....but when she doesn't less then 2 second later she will go and pee on the floor....I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT !!

i'm sorry i know it's only been 4 days and it's going to take along time to train her.....but four days with NO SLEEP......i know i shouldn't say this but have i make a mistake by getting her ...or is it the no sleep talking ?..... :cry:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
What are her sleeping arrangements at night? Are you crate training her or do you have her in an x-pen? Is she sleeping with you?
Do you praise her alot when she does go on the potty pad?
Give us a little more information please.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a horrible first couple months with Zoe. I was taking her outside every hour, even at night, I was a walking zombie.

4 days is a very short time. She has a LOT to get used to. I would think since you're using puppy pads it will go much faster. Chi's are very smart... as soon as your girl gets the idea of what you want from her she'll come around.

I'll leave it to the more experienced chi moms to advise on how to hurry it up, I just wanted to say dont give up, we've all been there and it DOES get better!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ms_P said:
What are her sleeping arrangements at night? Are you crate training her or do you have her in an x-pen? Is she sleeping with you?
Do you praise her alot when she does go on the potty pad?
Give us a little more information please.

At the moment we're both TRYING :( to sleep down stair in the sitting room.........i really didn't like the idea of putting her in a crate/pen but saying that i just ordered a crate for her today (fingers crossed to should be here by thursday) then hopefully i can go back to my bed and get some sleep ..... :) i'm normally aVERY happy person to be around.....promise !!!

8)
i do praise her ALOT when she does go on the potty pad.....but i don't know what to say when she doesn't ......i really don't want to shout at her....but it's really upsetting when after trying to get her to use the potty pad she then goes and wee on the floor.... :x

for example....two oclock this morning i got up took her to the pad put her on it ..then sat next to her and waited 35 minutes for her to go....she didn't ......OK then she doesn't need to go.......i went to the bathroom while she went back to the sittingroom..GUESS WHAT !!?!?! she didn't just wee on my floor she also poo ...GREAT !! .... 35 minutes wasted .. :cry:

I'm sorry if im going on ........ but none of my friends have got dogs let alone a puppy so NOBODY KNOW what it's like....

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I lost months of sleep and Bindi will not be crated all night! I was horribly miserable too. She would sleep like til 2-3 in her crate then refuse to go back. If she sleeps with someone she sleeps thru the night no problem.....so we have been giving in........I am really at a loss of what to do cause I just want to sleep - I dont get enough as it it. I am up everyday at 4:30AM......... :shock:

kemo was an angel to crate train..2 nights of whining and he was done! He still rather sleep with me (and I treat him) but in the crate he goes.

I stuck Bindi in the crate for a nap and she was an angel..... :shock: she drives me crazy!

·
Registered
518 Posts
When I first got Frasier I didn't want to crate train, but he can't get in the bed - it's very very high. I absolutely had to sleep because of my job.

So, I pulled a chair up to the bed right next to me. I put a box with the front cut out in the chair and a blanket in the box. I attached a leash to the chair. I poked a hole in the side of the box and ran the leash through the hole. He wears a harness - loose enough for wiggling - tight enough to stay on, attached to the leash. He sleeps right there beside me. I can have my hand on him in my sleep and he can raise up against the side of the bed if he needs me, but he can not get down and get hurt. If he did go on his blanket - no biggie - I'd toss it in the washer.

There was no crying unless he had to potty. He cried then because he didn't want to go in his bed. When he cried (once a night) my husband took him out. After about two weeks ago he began sleeping through the entire night (6 hours). He's 5 months old.

I think this is a good alternative for those who don't want to crate train, but don't want their pups hurt or houses torn apart in the middle of the night.

Edited to add: Don't do this with a collar; only a harness. If you try this, be absolutely certain that your pup can't jump over the box or crawl under a chair arm. You don't want him dangling by his harness while you are asleep.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having a tough time . It will get better
give her time she is very young too . I use a crate for my little
guy he even goes in on his own . I am awake a lot during the night ( my medication ) so it was not a problem for me to get him up and out if he needed to go to the toilet in the night now ( aged 6 months ) he sleeps in his crate from 10pm till 7am and does not even get up in the night when I do ... Hang on in there and if you wanna/ need to talk give me a call ok :)
anytime :)

Sara xx

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I first got Pearl she was so young (only 3 weeks) I had no choice, but to put her in a box on top of a heating pad. I was bottle feeding her every 2-3 hrs, and putting her on her wee pad before and after each feeding. At 4 weeks I started weaning her and at that time she graduated to the cat's carrier which I placed inside a child's port-a-crib that was lined with wee pads. I also started taking her outside to the grass about every hour during the day, and once during the night. After about another week I started leaving the door to the carrier open and she would go out to the wee pads on her own. I now have wee pads only in a small area of the crib. I continue to take her outside every hour or so during the day, but if I'm negligent she goes on her wee pad. She uses the wee pad on her own during the night so now I get a good night's sleep! Pearl seems content in her crib, but she does come out often for playtime. When she is out I must watch her every second as she will still relieve herself on the carpet if she has the need. From what I have been reading it can take many months for them to be trustworthy in that respect. I think comfortable confinement is probably the best way to go, but just my opponion. Have patience and hang in there!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'm no good with the training thing. my mom has been the one to take care of the 5 shih tzu mixes we have (all the same family, our muphin had 2 litters each containing 2 puppies) and they pretty much got the hang of it quickly...

then my tasha bird was 8 years old when i rescued her and she had one accident the first night home...

i only had to train one dog and that was my pit bull. when i first got him he was like 12 weeks old and i kept him in a play pen i bought at a garage sale for about 10 bucks. he only messed in it once (had diarrhea cause of worms :( poor boy) after a month or two i stopped using it and he did fine. only had an accident when i was gone for looong periods of time and he would go right in front of the door as if to say, sorry ma i couldn't hold it....

i was wondering do you all think the play pen would work for a chi??? i really don't want to crate train, but i want to keep her to where she won't get into things or hurt herself during the night. at least until she is a little older.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
My Girl Pearl said:
When I first got Pearl she was so young (only 3 weeks) I had no choice, but to put her in a box on top of a heating pad. I was bottle feeding her every 2-3 hrs, and putting her on her wee pad before and after each feeding. At 4 weeks I started weaning her and at that time she graduated to the cat's carrier which I placed inside a child's port-a-crib that was lined with wee pads. I also started taking her outside to the grass about every hour during the day, and once during the night. After about another week I started leaving the door to the carrier open and she would go out to the wee pads on her own. I now have wee pads only in a small area of the crib. I continue to take her outside every hour or so during the day, but if I'm negligent she goes on her wee pad. She uses the wee pad on her own during the night so now I get a good night's sleep! Pearl seems content in her crib, but she does come out often for playtime. When she is out I must watch her every second as she will still relieve herself on the carpet if she has the need. From what I have been reading it can take many months for them to be trustworthy in that respect. I think comfortable confinement is probably the best way to go, but just my opponion. Have patience and hang in there!
we must have posted at the same time lol you kinda answered my question :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Potty training my girls was a nightmare! I also felt bad keeping them in a crate most of the day but I finally cracked and started the crate training and let me just say it went so much easier!

I also wrote down the times my pups would potty (either in the house or outside) and kept a little 'potty log' and that way i could see the times they had to go out. If you feed your dog on a strict time schedule then in a couple days you should have a very good idea of when your pup needs to potty. Its very hard and it can take up to a year to train...some dogs are never 100% trained but just stay consistant and remember....it isnt in their nature to potty in one area....you are teaching them a human rule and they need time to learn it and understand it.

Best of luck! Hang in there and just know you are not alone :D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The port a cribs work well. I just went to WalMart and bought a small "Kennel". Bruiser and Teddy stayed in it when they were small. It is big enough for a bed and also for a pad. They work great.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
sjc said:
The port a cribs work well. I just went to WalMart and bought a small "Kennel". Bruiser and Teddy stayed in it when they were small. It is big enough for a bed and also for a pad. They work great.

here we go with that wonderful walmart again!!! what have i been missin all these years.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Luvmypuppet--GIRL! I'm the WalMart Queen!! :wink: I live 6minutes from a WalMart Super Center (Okla). The Pet Dept. is incredible. The small Kennels are only $29.00 . They are fantastic. Not to large--not to small. I like them soooo much better than a crate! I cant even amagine getting up at night with a puppy and taking it outside??? The small Kennel is the answer to everything :wink: :D Oh Yeah, and they fold up easily when you want to store them....do they not have WalMart in Jersey??

I live in the WalMart Capital of the U.S :lol:

sandra

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
sjc said:
Luvmypuppet--GIRL! I'm the WalMart Queen!! :wink: I live 6minutes from a WalMart Super Center (Okla). The Pet Dept. is incredible. The small Kennels are only $29.00 . They are fantastic. Not to large--not to small. I like them soooo much better than a crate! I cant even amagine getting up at night with a puppy and taking it outside??? The small Kennel is the answer to everything :wink: :D Oh Yeah, and they fold up easily when you want to store them....do they not have WalMart in Jersey??

I live in the WalMart Capital of the U.S :lol:

sandra
i guess i was just ina not so good one years ago and that image stuck until i went there recently and scored a bunch of summer clothes for my daughter for under 80 bucks! the pet dept at this one was so-so but now i found one closer to me and i'll be going to that one real soon!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I hear ya! i have been in a few in other states that were awful. So I know where you are coming from. These stores also have been known to put other small businesses out of business! They just can't compete with the prices. :shock: It is extremely hard to find a place to park, so sometime I just get frustrated and leave! :roll: :D

sandra

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did the kennel thing too...bed, water, and a litter box. He only cried the first couple of nights for a few minutes so I got to sleep and he could just go if he needed too.

Wal-mart huh....I got my kennel from my mom, she used it to crate train her german short hair...I'm looking for a good, cheap, bed for Charlie maybe I'll check out Wal-mart. :p

Jessi

·
Registered
151 Posts
wow :oops:
looks like I didnt really bother that much about potty training :?
I mean when we got Pupa she was 6 weeks, we never crate trained her, she always had a spare bedroom in her disposal :D
I put a lot of newspapers in the room and in the living room when she was with us and she soon got a hang of it, then I started removing the paper, now there is only one in her room (in a tray), but she uses it really rare, she mostly goes outside. And I dont keep any newspapers in the living room, I prefer to take her out every now and then - just cross the road -she does pee quicky and runs back :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts