Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have now had my 3 month old pup for 4 full days. She seems very healthy and is super playful and sweet. She still hasnt been eating very well, but it seems to improve a little bit every day.
Yesterday she started with this cough. It sounds like she is tring to "hock a loggie" (for lack of a better word). Its a short series of wheezing sounds and then she does this cough that is almost like a yawn. It sounds like there is mucous or something in her throat.

Please help, I am a first time dog owner and very worried. Should I call the kennel or should I go to a vet?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sounds like it might be reverse sneezing.
When she does it, see if you can get her to drink. Dip your finger in her water bowl and put it to her mouth.
Swallowing seems to correct the sneezing. If she keeps doing it, many times a day, you should take her to the vet.

If it is not reverse sneezing and truly coughing, you should take her to the vet because she might have something stuck in her throwt or be getting a cough.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I would take her to the vet - you should take pups within 72 hours of having them to the vet for a general health check and the vet will look at this

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You should definitely take her to the vet. It sounds like Kennel cough which my 11 week old has right now and is on antibiotics for. She also gave it to my 5 mo. old chi that had been vaccinated for it so they are both on antibiotics.

With Callie, it sounded like something was stuck in her throat. With Cody it sounded like reverse sneezing. Kennel cough is very contagious to pets and the vaccine is only 80% effective. It's basically a dog cold but needs to be treated so that it doesn't turn into something more severe. My puppies are doing well now and have a couple more days of antibiotics to go. They can also give them a cough suppressant to make them more comfortable.

Good luck!!! :wave:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
erinchita said:
How much does a general vet visit cost?
I'm sure different vets around you may vary. Just call around and ask..I know where I live some are highly priced while others are decent. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts