Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Now...in the "obediance" thread I have posted stuff about my 14 week Lola and how she's terrified with other dogs no matter what size and how old they all seem to bark and go to attack her and I always pick her up cos she yelps and the other day even peed herself. :cry: etc etc.... so....

I called this recommended trainer and he is coming on saturday for two hours! I'm really very worried and nervous as he's told me I shouldn't pick her up and this is where my problem is. He is bringing his scaredy King Charles with him. He doesn't want me to feed her before he comes (he's arriving at 10.30am). He says her yelping when other dogs go for her is normal puppy defense thing and knowing I'll pick her up is making it worse! :shock: He said the only dogs she shouldn't mix with are greyhounds and lurchers. I told him how small and fragile she is! He said that its rubbish how they shouldn't be in a household with small children. He said he's gonna take her to the park and show me how she'll walk off lead with a rope trailing behind her or something and won't run off! He thinks my anxiety is perpetuating the problem. I told him about all you great guys on here and how easy it is to have accidents with these small babies and he understood but still thinks she has to learn to stand up for herself instead of running to me and cowering. I told him how dogs can even snatch them from your arms and he said that's because they think its a toy when you carry them! And how when I see another dog running towards us, she knows I'm immediately worried and pick her up so she's scared too! He told me that he guarantees 100% no harm will come to her!! He also recommends Bach Flower Remedies for the problem too. I told him she doesn't have a problem with anything else. I am SO scared!!!! If anything happens to my baby I will KILL him!! I know I have to try to solve the problem but she is just so tiny and helpless. And if this turns out to be a bad experience for her then I'm doomed! I don't know what to do and I'm panicking already about Saturday. If he wants to do anything that I'm not happy with then I won't let him I guess. :? He says he only has to do home visits once and then the owners carry on and everything is fine. He said if I'm not happy or he hasn't helped me then I don't have to pay!
Oh god.... I dunno! I'm lost! I thought I was doing so well and had everything right! I've read all the books etc....oh he told me that reading breed books isn't the best thing to do! He said dogs are dogs whether they are chihuahuas or great danes.
Anyone make me feel better about saturday pllllllllleeeeeeaaaasse??!! :(
Love Lucie & Lola :wave:
P.S. sorry this is so long!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I hope everything turns out the way you plan on Saturday. BUT.. I understand that he is a trainer and everything but just be REAL careful because if he hasnt dealt with Chihuahuas before he really might not know that they are indeed fragile and need extra attention and care. This is my personal opinion but I would be VERY careful and dont let him intimidate you just because he is a trainer. Im sure you have very good judgement and just dont let him push you around.

Peanut doesnt really get scared with other dogs like Lola does but I also pick him up when other dogs come. I would never assume that a dog will not hurt Peanut because you never really know. And the truth is that if a big enough dog comes along he can kill a Chi very easily with a powerful jaw, or even step on him by mistake. Now im not saying that the Trainer doesnt know what he is talking about but he might be too over-confident that another dog will not hurt Lola or any small dog for that matter.

Just be calm and im sure everything will turn out just fine. :) Good Luck on Saturday and keep us posted on the results. I really do hope that the trainer helps Lola! :D

Yael

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
A couple of things concern me:

He said he's gonna take her to the park and show me how she'll walk off lead with a rope trailing behind her or something and won't run off!
and

I told him how dogs can even snatch them from your arms and he said that's because they think its a toy when you carry them! And how when I see another dog running towards us, she knows I'm immediately worried and pick her up so she's scared too! He told me that he guarantees 100% no harm will come to her!!
Especially that 2nd quote. How can he guarantee 100% that no harm will come to her? Even when they are with us, their owners, we can not guarantee that. I was walking Annabelle on a leash and a German Shepard came out of no where and tried to eat her. I pulled her up by the leash to keep the dog from getting her. Annabelle was injured from dangling (hanging) from her leash but that dog could have killed her.

Obviously you are concerned and I hate to make you more concerned but............. :? Does this trainer have any experience with Chihuahuas. He says they aren't different but I think they are different. Maybe you should look around a little bit to see if there is someone else you would be more comfortable with. Or at least give it some more thought and maybe talk to some of his clients.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. I'll be interested to see what everyone else says. Who knows, maybe I'm the only one that has this opinion.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
[quote
Good luck and let us know what you decide. I'll be interested to see what everyone else says. Who knows, maybe I'm the only one that has this opinion.[/quote]

No, you aren't the only one. A couple of things raise a red flag to me. This person might be a very experienced trainer, I don't know. But he sounds way overconfident to me. How did you find him - did someone recommend him to you?

Just don't let him run over you. If he makes suggestions or tries to do anything that makes you uncomfortable, I would object. After all, it is your furbaby's well being here and you know her better than any stranger, and have the right to make the final decision. I would be extremely reluctant to do some of the things he is suggesting. JMHO.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Chihuahua's are different from any other dog because they are the smallest dog - you do need to protect your dog, i always guard coco but without her knowing it! If Coco is scared of something i feel really bad and i do want to just hug her but i cant because if you mother them too much you are sending you're dog the message that there is something wrong, something to be scared/alarmed about!

It's a shame you dont have another dog of your own it would be much easier for lola to adapt to that as it would be in the home with her all the time, growing up with her!

The trainer should be ok if he has a license - but if there was ever anything i didnt like someone doing i would simply tell them not too! I think you are worrying a bit too much, if he does something you dont like tell him that you dont like it - as he said you don't have to pay him if you dont think he's helping - just kick him out! lol!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far. I don't know whether this trainer has a license or not!! I have looked on the APDT website and he's not on there so is there any other licence he should or might have!? :? I agree that chihuahuas are different....yes they are still dogs and should still be treated as such to a certain extend but there are more risks, dangers and concerns I think. I have decided to tell him tomorrow that I do not want her walking off the lead at all. And if a big dog comes over then i will still pick her up! do you think this is fair!? I want to trust him and he must know more than me.... but maybe not actually.... not about my baby anyway! At the end of the day its the other dogs I'm worried about. No matter how many times owners have told me they are friendly and they have been smallish dogs they have tried to attack her! I don't know why!? So what.... am I supposed to just stand there and let her deal with it and listen to her yelp and getting herself tied up in knots with the lead and wait until they bite her or chew her head off?!??? :shock: No way! I'm still going to pick her up! And evidently this defeats the object and consequently she will forever know I'll pick her up and forever be scared of other dogs!! So what do I have to do? I can't win either way really!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
No matter how many times owners have told me they are friendly and they have been smallish dogs they have tried to attack her! I don't know why!?
I've run into that same thing with Annabelle. My thinking is that other dogs sense her weakness and go after her. Annabelle was in obedience classes too and it just did not work for her. She was petrified. We finished out the classes but every week we had to go thru something with the other dogs. I think it really would have been better if I had done private obedience classes with Annabelle and found her a few doggy friends early on and taken it slow.

It sounds like your dog has the same temperment as Annabelle. I think generally the same training principles work for all dogs but sometimes their temperments and size need to be taken into account and adjustments made as far as how you handle them. This is just my opinion.

Maybe someone else can tell you what license the trainer should have. I have no idea.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well.....I've cancelled the trainer for tomorrow and now I feel so much better and relieved!! I knew there must be something not right for me to feel so bad! I spoke to some other qualified and registered trainers and told them his name and they told me "I got off lightly"!! :shock: Thank god I cancelled him! And when I called he was really angry about me cancelling and told me I'd landed him in it and he'd already bought a long lead for Lola!!!!! That's the opposite to what she needs!! :x Anyways I'm rid of that feeling now! :toothy10:

I'm going to take her to puppy only classes probably and I might attend a couple of one to ones as well with a really nice qualified, registered and insured trainer who has helped lots of chihauhaus. :D

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If he was really angry that you cancelled, it sounds like you did the right thing! Good for you! It sounds like you have a plan. I hope it all works out for you and Lola! :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I think you made the right decision.
That guy sounds like he is used to larger breeds.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts