Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one side of amis face is after swelling up ... it is really bad and i dont have a clue what do to im am in a total panic here .
it has only happend in the last hour and there are no vets i can ring i dont know what to do he is at it with is paws all the time so it must be sore on him

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It sounds like an allergic reaction to something. Do you have benadryl? Diphenhydramine is the generic name. It is an antihistamine and will help! Here's the dosage info .....

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=41463

Is he breathing OK? Acting OK? The swelling is only on one side of his face? Did he get bitten by a bug, stung by a bee? It could be any number of things.

It's important to get the benadryl into his system right away and then call an emergency vet.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
You can ring the emergency vet in Dunlaoghaire, they will tell you what to do or if there is a vet near you that will take calls now. The number is 2802041.

It is probably an allergic reaction, and I know you can give them benedryl, but I'm not sure of dosages etc - so try ringing and see what they say

let us know how you get on

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you i have nothing to give him . i got the vet and he told me to give him calpol but i dont have any in the house i am ringing friends now to see if they have any .
i dont know how it happend he was in bed asleep and when he woke i seen it

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Aw I will be praying for him do what the othes said.You need to check his bed and see in he has a bug or anything in his bed

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks so much xx i am after getting in touch wit a vet and he is on his way out to me now . i just hope its nothing major

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Could be a spider bite. They react like that.

Please keep us posted!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all your help guys xx
the vet said he has odema , so he has giving ami a course of clonamox and prednisolone .
has any of you lil ones had this before ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
gosh i hope he's ok now!
my Diefie has had a similar problem twice now.
the first time was a wasp sting in his mouth and the second, just last week (see my thread "oh oh panic stations") was an allergic reaction to what we now suspect was an ant bite.
i now have a box of Piriton tablets in my chi first aid box. i gave Diefie a quarter of a tablet on the advice of my vet.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ami seems much better today guys :) the swelling has gone down alot now and he has been running round playing all day .
thanks agin for all your help i was so worried last nite . when i seen him i just started crying :( .
i couldnt belive how much his face had swelled up it was nearly 3 times bigger .

the vet said he would ring me today to check up on him and bring him back in 8 days for a little check up to .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do you mean edema? If so from what i recall from high school thats fluid retention right?So is it bound to happen often or was it just a freak accident?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ye sorry . ye it is fluid retention and the vet said it should not happen again , so fingers crossed it doesnt :) poor lil ami :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts