Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was hoping someone can help me

I have a 3 year old female chihuahua, and for the last 3 years she has rung rings around me! Gets away with everything, I'm too soft and now beginning to think I'm a bad owner!
She barks at everything, and everyone! Especially when she's in the car, at home. I just don't know how to control it, I tell her to susssh and be quiet and she ignores me!
When she goes for a pee she will use her pee mat however when she does poo she just blantely goes anywhere she feels like!
And more recently now which is causing rows with my partner and myself is she goes on the bed in my partners room
And just pee's on the bed! But she does this when she seems to want to prove a point like tonight I took my boyfriends dog for a walk and I wouldn't let her come with me I come back and she has pee'd on the duvet!
And she always wants to sleep under the duvet, which gets between me and my bf. But every time I put her back in her bed during the night she will creep back under the duvet!
Please please can someone give me any advice on what I can do to make her learn all the above is wrong!
My bf's dog is so well behaved which makes it all look worse! I feel like a terrible owner, she has got away with so much and now it's time to change. Any tips on teaching a dog good behaviour? What to do when they have done wrong?
I know all this may sound like common sense and after 3 Years I should know all this!
Any advice would be great

Sarah

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ugh, sorry to hear you are having problems. The only suggestion I may have is to watch Cesar millan, the dog whisper. Some of the stuff he teaches & promotes is how to be a pack leader. He is amazing with dogs! I can't really give any other tips, but good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is she spayed? Have u tried crating her at night?

No she isn't spayed, do u think that would help?
I have only crated her when we have gone on long journeys and even them
She has hated it and barked and cried but I'm now at the point where she needs to learn !

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Can't you keep her off the bed or shut the door when you go out so she can't get in there and pee? Don't let her on your lap / sofa till you invite her, it has to be on your terms not hers.You could try crating her with the door open and treats ,make it a good place to be,then hopefully she could learn to stay in there at night

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Hi sarah welcome.
You need to bee the alfa.
At fist she might not take you seriously since she is not used to it. but keep at it.
If your living with your boyfriend take both dogs out at the same time. And sometimes let him do it.
Don't let her sleep in the bed with you at least tell she learns. And At night crate her. If she cries let her don't go to her.
Another way to teach her is training but do it in a fun way were you keep pricing her and telling her good job. And of course with treats.
When she does something bad don't yell her name say No Or a word she knows that if she does this she is enterable or you are upset with her. One thing about dogs they hate it when there owners are bad at them.
Good luck and keep us updated. ;)

PS you have another thread about the same topic just ask the mod to merge them together. ;)
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi-chat/58006-problems-my-3-year-old-chihuahua.html

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You askedthis in the other forum I answered

Yes spaying may help and unlessyou are showing orbreeding her she should be spayed each season they have puts therisksup

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't you keep her off the bed or shut the door when you go out so she can't get in there and pee? Don't let her on your lap / sofa till you invite her, it has to be on your terms not hers.You could try crating her with the door open and treats ,make it a good place to be,then hopefully she could learn to stay in there at night

Well as we have 2 dogs (this is another story!) honey (chi) bites my bf's dog so we have to keep them in different rooms when we go out so barney (sharpei) gets locked in the living room
And honey in the main bedroom. Only other rooms we have in the house are, kitchen, bathroom, 2 bedrooms and living room. So do u think keeping her in the main bedroom is wrong?
Maybe start crating her in the living room or kitchen whilst out? And then crate her again at night?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
If you kept her in another room kitchen maybe at least she wouldn't pee on the bed,i would get her used to the crate if she was mine,plenty of toys etc and treats when she goes in there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts