Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help

Hello Everyone,
I am new on this forum and I desperately need help.
I just bought a chi puppy that is almost 8 months old. She is a very sweet little girl, the problem is ...she's terrified of my husband. I have tried handing her to him to hold and she literally tries to jump out of his arms. When he walks into the room she runs and hides..if she is sitting on my lap she will try to run away. She barks at him as if he is a stranger. I have had her home now for a week and a half. If anyone can give me advice on how to have her adjust to my husband that would be greatly appreciated or if there is anything that my husband can do to help her along. I love her to death but it has crossed my mind to maybe take her back..which I really don't want to do. I don't understand why she is just afraid of him. She is nervous around other people too but not to the point where she runs and hides and barks at them. PLEASE HELP!!
Thank You

Have him lay on the floor with her & give her treats & play with her. He needs to do this everyday as much as possible til she gets used to him. She may have had a bad experience with a man before you got her. She'll come around to where she's comfortable with him. Tell him to talk calmly to her.

Have him lay on the floor with her & give her treats & play with her. He needs to do this everyday as much as possible til she gets used to him. She may have had a bad experience with a man before you got her. She'll come around to where she's comfortable with him. Tell him to talk calmly to her.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not sure if you answered your on plea for help there, but i would honestly start farther back then laying on the floor. If she is your only dog, i would find a treat she loves and will eat even when a bit stressed. have your hubby walk in a room where she is, and if she goes and hides have him ( not looking at her) toss a treat in her general direction then walk away, either leaving or sitting down depending where you are. if she comes out to eat it, have him toss another in her general direction again without looking. you just want him to become a spontaneous source of good things without requiring to do something first. just have him continue tossing treats when he goes by her. after awhile you can start tossing teh treats so that it brings her closer to him, just don't push her past her own threshhold. if she doesn't want it don't make her.

there's a good chance, depending how bad it is, when she's hiding she won't come out till he leaves the room, thats okay in the beginning. have him feed her, also. I would just recomend not to look her in the eyes for a time being. Men have such a different way of carrying themselves that chi's ( and other small dogs) sometimes just have an adverse reaction to them.

Oh you can also try, after you see some progress with treat tossing, getting a spoon with a little ( little mind you its all fat) peanut butter on it, and just have him sit with it held out. she has to work at that and is a much longer exposure. its a real slow process, so expect slow prgress, but you'll get there.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The solution is simple...you need to start ignoring her completely. HE needs to provide ALL her care. Just for a little while. You literally will ignore her, not talk to her, not feed her, not put down water for her, not take her out to potty...he does all of that. At first he ignores her too. He just does everything deliberately and without a lot of fuss. If she won't take anything directly from him (e.g. food) thats fine, he puts it down and sits on the other side of the room. Have him leave it down 15 minutes, then pick it up. A healthy doggie won't starve itself. She may never like OTHER men, but she definitely needs to get used to him!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You so much. We actually talked to a trainer last night and she told us pretty much what you just told us. We're willing to try anything with her. She is such a sweet little girl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts