Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 month old chihuahua/jack Russell cross. I love her. But I am SO EXASPERATED with this dog!!! No matter what I do, I can't get her to stop chewing up my underwear, my daughters dirty diapers or her pacifiers. I've spent close to $1000 replacing underwear and pacifiers in the 6 months since I got her. I buy her all kinds of chew toys, but she won't touch them. I've tried keeping the dirty laundry in a hamper in a closed room. But she jumps up and gets the door unlatched then knocks over the hamper and digs them out. If I lock her in a kennels she Yaps so loud that my children can't sleep and the neighbors complain. Help me please!!!! I don't know what to do!!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Is it possible to put the hamper up higher?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Wow, this sounds like one incredibly bored dog! Not her fault in the least. How often does she get out & exercise and do other activity? She sounds like she has the Jack Russel temperment/energy level. Important to know before getting a dog because if their exercise/activity isn't met they get bored & find things to keep themselves occupied. I think if any dog has the change to reach undies, diapers, cat boxes, etc...they'll take it. They're animals! :)

I'd suggest she gets enough exercise every day that wears her out (a tired dog is a happy & well behaved dog!) & she's not given free roam of the house. If she jumps gates...get a higher one. But really...if her exercise requirements are met she won't be as apt to jump the gates & find ways to entertain herself.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Basic obedience will help, too. Start with a solid sit/stay and a good "leave it" command and you can build from there, teaching the dog to respect boundaries. You have a very challenging breed mix there - Russels are notorious for getting into trouble and bouncing off the ceiling. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with the others. Boundaries, some obedience and tire that pup out. Yes they are high energy, but also smart. So they will either get into trouble or, if learn quickly. Also....still hung up on the 1000.00 underwear. Wow. Maybe get cheaper underwear for a while. Lol. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
A Jack/Chi cross at 16 months is bound to be one of the most endlessly energized dogs on earth, I'm sure.

Is there a local off leash dog park near ? It makes a world of difference with mine, and I've seen more than one JR there running the length of the park for 45 minutes or more. She's going to need to be tired out, and that means more than a quick leash walk.

Other options would be very large dog sized chew bones of any type.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
While not a permanent solution, find a place in the home she simply can't get to and put the hamper there. Then see if it's just the hamper issue or if she adopts another challenge (she now goes to the trash, for example). I had a 6 year old chi-mix foster who was a diehard trash dog--who knows how long and in how many homes. And yes, I increased her exercise tremendously (she was walking 90 minutes a day when she was adopted from my home). but she was still fixated on the trash--anytrash. I blocked her completely from the trash, and fortunately she did not develop any other substitute bad habits. Of course it would have been better if any of us could have trained her off the trash on her own, but this solution just worked for me.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Red has a tendency to pinch socks and knickers and any washing he can reach from the radiators or clothes horse, he doesn't chew them but jsut carries them all around the house.

I simply just make sure nothing is within his reach, sometimes I forget and find the odd sock under the stairs etc. Its quite funny watching him but means I have to wash everything again.

It gets a bit embarrassing when the carers come and he runs off with th econtents of their bag...

But yep when I remember its have everything out of his reach.

Deme x

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think to put laundrey basket out of reach and start playing throw ball and return with him to burn off some energy good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dog Fibi is a jack x chi mix and these are very high energy mixes. They require a lot of attention and I struggled with Fibi until she was 18 months old to get her potty trained 100% and not chewing on shoes, table legs, and anything she could get her little mouth on!

I would start by not leaving your bedroom doors open if your undies are laying where the dog can get them. Same with the diapers if you cant put them out into the trash right away. We cannot leave our bathroom door open because our dogs all go in and get into the garbage there!

I enrolled Fibi in obedience, flyball and agility and this changed her life and our relationship. She now is able to come to work with me everyday and even though she is small she plays for at least an hour hard outside with our other big dogs. Once the weather warms up here (still -5 :foxes15:) she will be going on daily walks up to 1 hour a day.

Good luck!
Jenna

1 - 10 of 10 Posts