Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys i have a question my 9wk old chi can only eat soft food becuse hard food is just way to hard for my baby he really tries to chew it but gets no were but his vet told us his has to eat hard food and ive tried everything from cutting it up to adding a few drops of water and nothing its still to hard for him and idk what else to do im not going to starve him becuse his vet wants him to eat hard food only do anyone know what i can do ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did but the vet said no only a few drops it has to still be a bit hard but of i do then it still to hard and then he wont eat the vet is really on my back about the hard food idk what else i can do

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Put it inside heavy duty plastic bag, ham bag, pillow-case etc. & bash it with a hammer, put through a food processor etc I would think your vet is thinking of jaw strengthening, preventing build-up on teeth etc. - plenty of time to worry about that later.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
See if you can find some sodium free broth add a little in with the water and see if that helps. Thats how I got Daisy to eat her food and I also mixed in some wet food in with the hard, which worked too. Or if you can find some dog food for small breed dogs, its softer for them but still has some hardness for them to eat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she keeps telling me its to make his teeth stronger but my poor baby going to be toothless if he keep trying to bite into them poor thing puts in hard work trying to bite them and he dont even break a lil bit off i feel so bad for him that i end up giving in and give him soft food

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
i did but the vet said no only a few drops it has to still be a bit hard but of i do then it still to hard and then he wont eat the vet is really on my back about the hard food idk what else i can do
hmmmm... get a new vet? Hard food doesn't clean their teeth anyway. It's like saying that chewing a handful of saltine crackers cleans our teeth! It's carbs and it creates that sticky plaque that hardens into tartar. It's fine if you want to feed a good quality grainless food, but it doesn't clean teeth. Actually canned food is better anyway.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So glad you posted that Tracy! I have always read canned was so much better than dry. And raw is the BEST! Where vets get that hard dry food is good for dogs and cleans teeth is beyond me! Guess its their training from the pet food companies.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
If you just want to feed the kibble alone, add water, but not just a few drops (enough to make it soggy). I would recommend also mixing the wet food in as well, though. Kibble only has something like 10% moisture in it, and adding water and wet food is a great way to make sure they're getting enough moisture in their meal. Kibble honestly isn't going to do much for your pup's teeth. Look into other ways to clean a dog's teeth, like raw bones, bully sticks, antlers, himalayan chews, etc. If you watch a dog eat kibble vs. gnawing on a bully stick, it's easy to see which is actually doing something for their oral hygiene.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Its impossible for your baby to eat dry food right now break up the kibble or get small breed kibble and mix just a few pieces in with his canned food as he gets bigger add a little more dry and less canned slowly wean him off the wet until he's eating only dry. I have raised allot of small breed dogs and the little ones just don't have the strength in their jaws until they get a little bigger by the time your baby has his adult teeth he should be weaned off the canned food right now just feed him what he can eat.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
im sorry but your vet is talking a bunch of *BEEP* lol! hard kibble will do no good for him! i wont clean hes teath ect. PLEASE water down the kibble or use canned food! or raw feed! you will always need to water down kibble to make it easier to digest and chew , good luck and ditch that vet! :p x

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I think your vet is being a little ridiculous. He or she should be more concerned about a 9-week-old Chihuahua getting proper nutrition and not risking becoming hypoglycemic rather than building jaw strength at the moment. A lot of Chis just can't chew kibble that young. My girl is 11.5 weeks and I mix her hard kibble with wet food and microwave it for about 5 seconds. I even cut some of the kibbles in half because they are pretty big. She has a hard time eating the whole kibbles on their own. She would probably starve herself if I just gave her the whole kibbles alone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.