Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a wee puppy 2 weeks ago. I had a call from the local SPCA a they knew that I was looking for another wee dog. This gorgeous wee thing arrived a shivering quivering mess. She was 6 weeks od and was taken from her mother at 2 weeks of age thrown into a garden shed and left along with her 3 other siblings to die. First of al the SPCA and I were told they were all boys and they were Shih tzu X Maltese. Now I am not vet but it is NOT rocket science sexing puppies or kittens. These wee boys turned out to be all girls and NOTHING like the breed we were told about. I took my wee girl up to the vet the day after I got her he thoroughly checked her over fleaing and worming her giving here the first vaccination. He told me that she is a Chihuahua X Dachshund. I had to take her back to the vet last week she was weighed and weighs 2.25kgs.
Her head and feet look like that of a Dachshund the rest of her looks like a Chihuahua . Please can someone tell me more about this mixed breed II have not heard of them before going onto the internet. All I know is they are called Chiweenies . How big do they grow and is Bailey putting on too much weight too fast ? My vet has no idea what to sugguest. Bailey is PERFECT in my eyes - she is spoilt rotten as she should be knowing exactly the start to life she has had. Because of the lies the SPCA and I were told they offered to take her back and replace her with another dog . I told them NO WAY this IS her forever home she is loved so very much and Barney my other dog adores her to bits.
I just need to know what to expect in way of her size so if some one out there knows anything about Chiweenies PLEASE let me know. Many thanks Bernie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you ladies for the replies. Unfortunately I have no access to a camera at the moment but there will be pics posted as son as I can afford too buy one. re her food. My vet put her onto Eukanuba 50grms a day. She was fed on a lump of raw horse meat and dog roll from the age of 2 weeks. The previous "owner" did not want the puppies so they were dumped into the shed along with her sisters in the hope that they would die . When she came to me weighed only 750 grams but they were only fed when the owner remembered to go out and feed them. I get so angry when I hear things like this but that is some humans for you.
50 grams of food doesn't sound a lot but she snacks rather than eats a proper meal at regular times she sleeps plays then has a snack. My vet rings me every other day to check on her progress he is happy with her . I have mentioned her eating habit he tells me not to worry she will eat more if she wants it I am doing everything correctly . I am curious about how big she is likely to grow. I found one on the Chiweenie site that is identical to her. Oh I adore her so much I guess my curiosity is getting the better of me. [ at least I have half a Chihuahua]
I do not regret for one single second having rescued her I do so wish that I could have taken her other litter mates. I was about to purchase a pedigree Chihuahua but I could not let this wee mite go on suffering so opted to take her instead. She has turned what was a sad house into a happy home.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oh Bernie, that wee thing was meant for you! I have only seen pictures so I can't help you on the weight, but I want to see pictures of little Bailey!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Our neighbor has a chihuahua and dachshund mix. She is about 8 months and is probably a over 2 times the size of Jaxx who is just under 4 pounds. When they first brought her home she was very tiny but has grown fast. At first the only thing that looked dachshund was her feet. Since she has grown she has the typical dachshund length.
Personally I disagree with your vet and I would look for a better food. You can get a really good quality food for what you are paying for it. Small dogs eat so little that every bite counts. I suggest going to dogfoodadvisor.com and researching different foods.
Good luck and thank you for saving this little one.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
You are so sweet to save this precious baby!!! Chiweenies are so cute to me, the ones I have seen are larger than most larger chi's, but still so cute! Who cares if she is a mix, she will love you forever!

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
If she was starved as a young thing it could be her body needs the extra food right now to catch up. Starvation as a pup could stunt growth etc. I would let her eat and not worry about weight until she gets bigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you al so very much for the valuable input I am getting. It has been over 11 years since I had a puppy this young in the house. It is like having a ne born in the house she s very precious and oh so loved. All I want is the very best of everything for her she deserves it.
I did check out he website as suggested but as we do not have too many on the star rated lists here in NZ only 4 or 5 were actually familiar to me .
I am still wondering whether or not to feed her just dry food or a mixture of wet and dry. I am also changing vet clinics as I keep getting conflicting information. One of the staff went so far as to tell me " she is just a dog" My response to that comment it unprintable.
I cannot thank you all enough for your lovely responses and of course your help. Thank you all again so very much. YES!!! I promise I will get pictures of her as soon as I can get hold of a camera . Bernie

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I just remembered that there are DNA tests that the AKC has. It can tell you with what breed this baby is mixed with? Vet should know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Susan thank you very much for your help. I have approached my vet who says that the only way to tell 10% is by doing blood tests I told him he can do that when she has her operation I am not going to put her through more unwanted stress she has been through more than enough in her 8 weeks of life. He has also said that by the time she goes for her next vaccination he will have a far better idea. I still maintain that she is Chiweenie. It was the vet who picked out the Chihuahua in her I told him I could see Dachshund. She has longer legs than a Dachshund but her feet are bigger than the Chihuahuas her body is not as long as the Dachshund - it is more "boxy" like the Chihuahua her ears and head are that of the Dachshund. She is 100% gorgeous and I do not care what she is she is happy safe and doing really well and is so very much loved.
Thank you again . I truly appreciate l the guidance that I m getting it means a lot to me. Bernie

·
Registered
16 Posts
My chiweenie is basically a teeny tiny dachshund with a chihuahua head- he literally looks like a chihuahua that's been stretched. He is about a year old and he's only 10 lbs. 24 seems quite heavy but because chiweenie is just a cross there is really no breed standard- Bailey could just be more dachshund-sized. :) When I rescued mine, the foster brought her older chiweenie and he looked completely different, more like what you described.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My chiweenie is basically a teeny tiny dachshund with a chihuahua head- he literally looks like a chihuahua that's been stretched. He is about a year old and he's only 10 lbs. 24 seems quite heavy but because chiweenie is just a cross there is really no breed standard- Bailey could just be more dachshund-sized. :) When I rescued mine, the foster brought her older chiweenie and he looked completely different, more like what you described.
Not sure you will get a reply to your post,this is an old one

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
What a great vet! I don't know much about Chiweenies other than they are cute, except I was watching an Animal Planet show who ranked them #1 as traveling dogs! Can't wait to see pics.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think the size would depend on whether or not the doxie was a 'standard' or a 'mini' size. The standard doxie is, of course bigger than the mini size. Good for you for rescueing this baby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts