Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I brought Timmy home from the vet, after day four, he has been eating like crazy, thought it was his lack of food for three days. But it is none stop eating. Went through a can of his dog food in a day.
Now he is riding his bum on the carpet, non stop.
The vet drained his anal glands...without my knowledge or my consent...he did not charge for it. Why do that without my consent.

So is this his anal glands are healing or did he get worms while he was there?

The vet made me sign something while he had Timmy for an hour and a half, I was too upset to read what I signed, but it was a consent form. Why do you need to sign a consent form when he is with someone who should take the best care of him.

Please tell me do you think he got worms or is he healing from the anal glands.

Thank you Regina

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Since I brought Timmy home from the vet, after day four, he has been eating like crazy, thought it was his lack of food for three days. But it is none stop eating. Went through a can of his dog food in a day.
Now he is riding his bum on the carpet, non stop.
The vet drained his anal glands...without my knowledge or my consent...he did not charge for it. Why do that without my consent.

So is this his anal glands are healing or did he get worms while he was there?

The vet made me sign something while he had Timmy for an hour and a half, I was too upset to read what I signed, but it was a consent form. Why do you need to sign a consent form when he is with someone who should take the best care of him.

Please tell me do you think he got worms or is he healing from the anal glands.

Thank you Regina
Did he just get them expressed? I don't have a professional opinion, but in my own experience anal gland expression doesn't seem to affect them except to relieve the discomfort that they often cause. Whenever my dogs have had to have them done (my previous cocker spaniel had this done regularly) they were always happy after and seem very relieved about it.

Vet should not have done it without consent. Did you get a copy of the consent form for your records?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What part of your post exactly is it that you are wanting help with?

Why would anyone complain if a vet did anal glands FOR FREE during another procedure, I'd be thanking him profusely for going the extra mile. It can't cause any harm and does not require "healing".

Worms picked up at a vet clinic would not cause him to have an aggravated anus within 3 days!!! Google various nematode lifecycles and see how long they take from eggs to mature. If you worm your dogs to the recommended schedule they do not become an issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did he just get them expressed? I don't have a professional opinion, but in my own experience anal gland expression doesn't seem to affect them except to relieve the discomfort that they often cause. Whenever my dogs have had to have them done (my previous cocker spaniel had this done regularly) they were always happy after and seem very relieved about it.

Vet should not have done it without consent. Did you get a copy of the consent form for your records?
No I was in a state of panic, just signed what he gave me. Looking at it now, I should have read everything, but I just signed the form without reading it. Was in panick mode, had to leave him for an hour and a half, that made me terrified, so just signed, thinking he was in good hands.

Will never do that again. Learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Why would anyone complain if a vet did anal glands FOR FREE during another procedure, I'd be thanking him profusely for going the extra mile. It can't cause any harm and does not require "healing".

Worms picked up at a vet clinic would not cause him to have an aggravated anus within 3 days!!! Google various nematode lifecycles and see how long they take from eggs to mature. If you worm your dogs to the recommended schedule they do not become an issue.
If a vet spayed your dogs, without consent, would you be mad, I think so.

I don't care if he did it for free or for $200, it was without my consent. Bottom line without my consent.

Timmy was not there for that. Why give him more pain, he already was in enough pain.

And once you do the anal glads, you have to keep that up.

My mothers chis, she has three, never had to do that.

Bottom line I did not go there for that. Free or charge, I don't care it was without my consent

Now I have to wonder did he catch worms there. He was re-worried and healthy from his puppy stage.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

I don't care if he did it for free or for $200, it was without my consent. Bottom line without my consent.

Timmy was not there for that. Why give him more pain, he already was in enough pain.

My mothers chis, she has three, never had to do that.

Bottom line I did not go there for that. Free or charge, I don't care it was without my consent

Now I have to wonder did he catch worms there. He was re-worried and healthy from his puppy stage.
I'm going to second what Aussielass said, dog's don't get worms overnight :coolwink:
I understand you are worked up over this but expressing the glands is a really minor thing, its always done when you take a dog to a groomer and many vets do it as a courtesy, you cannot compare a spay to having the glands emptied :lol:

I would look at his diet maybe.
& if you really feel the vet was wrong then look around and find a new one! ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
E

Timmy was wormed since he was a puppy. I take care of my liitle man, in every way, vets bills, great food, long walks, lots of toys, and the biggest one is lots and lots of love, kisses are unconditional in this household.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm trying to think of any causes for an itchy doggy bum!
Has Timmy been straining at all to poo?
What are you feeding for food/treats?
Has he been bathed recently?
Does he have dry skin at all?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to second what Aussielass said, dog's don't get worms overnight :coolwink:
I understand you are worked up over this but expressing the glands is a really minor thing, its always done when you take a dog to a groomer and many vets do it as a courtesy, you cannot compare a spay to having the glands emptied :lol:

I would look at his diet maybe.
& if you really feel the vet was wrong then look around and find a new one! ;)
Thank I will look for another vet. He should have told me...but never mind...gave him medical to feed him. He is on merrick before grain chicken with me. You don't seem to understand, when he was in huge pain, do not add more pain without my CONSENT.

So to go back to my original question. Why is he riding his bum like crazy on the carpet for the last two days?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thank I will look for another vet. He should have told me...but never mind...gave him medical to feed him. He is on merrick before grain chicken with me. You don't seem to understand, when he was in huge pain, do not add more pain without my CONSENT.

So to go back to my original question. Why is he riding his bum like crazy on the carpet for the last two days?
I just want to clarify that expressing the anal glands provides relief for the dog. It doesn't cause pain.

After the anal glands are expressed, dogs may continue to scoot for a couple days. This is more likely if the dog's glands were particularly in great need of being expressed. It's highly likely this is why Timmy is scooting now. He should stop soon. I wouldn't worry about it right now!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I too would not be happy if the vet expressed my dogs anal glands without discussing it. I don't believe in it as part of routine care. I think it makes the problem worse. I think a proper diet and care and they take care of themselves.

I do think it sounds like he is having anal gland issues. Scooting the bum on the floor is a sign of anal gland problems. I would call the vet and discuss the problem. Maybe he would do a recheck for free since he did the anal glands in the first place without asking?

Best wishes that Timmy is feeling well again soon!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If a vet spayed your dogs, without consent, would you be mad, I think so. A very strange comparison indeed, something like clipping nails would be a more feasible comparison, and, no I would not be at all concerned if a vet trimmed nails, cleaned ears or used his other many skills obtained at Uni over so many years if he thought something was needed.

Timmy was not there for that. Why give him more pain, he already was in enough pain. Pain?? Have you ever seen them do it, or been present when it's done - I've NEVER ONCE seen a dog even flinch during the procedure

And once you do the anal glads, you have to keep that up. Completely disagree unless their diet is disagreeable, unsatisfactory, full of grain, filler etc or dogs intestines aren't 100% functioning properly

Now I have to wonder did he catch worms there. He was re-worried and healthy from his puppy stage. Far more likely he would get worms during walks, particularly in grassy areas where eggs attach to grass, your own grass yard ... all dogs, cats and humans constantly have parasites in their system and, unless he had them before he went in, 3 days is nowhere near long enough for a new colonization to suddenly appear & start causing grief
Notes in blue above.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am conservative and a minimalist. So I would NOT want my dogs anal glands expressed (especially without my consent). And yes, studies prove that repeated manual emptying of the glands does cause a cycle where the dog has difficulty expressing them himself. I would only want anal glands messed with IF there was a problem. And then only to solve the problem, not just as a matter of course.

Groomers USED to be taught to empty anal glands. NOW they are NOT taught that, or at least the reputable schools have moved away from this practice. It was proven to cause more problems than it prevented.

I don't think Timmy has worms. I think his anus was irritated by the squeezing or he has residual debris left in his anal glands. I'd increase his fiber and see if that doesn't help out. A tablespoon of pumpkin, a few green beans, even a couple bites of bran cereal will work. If the problem doesn't resolve in a day or two, I'd take him in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second the thought. Releasing the anal glands is NO big deal at all; you are making it much worse than it is.
It doesn't hurt the dog at all; it relieves them.
You should re-consider your anger and try looking up the releasing of the anal glands. Alot of vets make it a standard thing since most people don't do it themselves.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

If vet spayed my dog without my consent, yes, I would be furious. On the other hand, when they clipped Tango's nails when he was sedated for his dental, without charging me, I was just tickled :) Personally I would have been just as pleased had they decided his anal glands needed expressing, and done that too. I think it's a matter of degree, and you obviously feel that anal gland expression carries far more weight than nail clipping or ear cleaning. Not many people share that opinion, which is why you're getting some dissenting opinions.

In all my years of owning dogs, I've never once heard this. I asked my daughter too, who was a Vet Tech for years, and she'd never heard of it either. I know with Tango when I first rescued him he needed his anal glands expressed badly. But after a change in his diet from the crappy supermarket food he was being fed to a grain-free 5 star kibble, it never needed to be done again.

That personal experience, plus my own information gathered over years, tells me that diet plays a large factor in the need for the procedure and that doing it once doesn't automatically lead to having to do it routinely.

I think this has already been covered, but no, even if he DID somehow contract worms from the vet visit (unlikely,) first of all butt dragging is not automatically an indication of worms, and secondly even if it were, the various worm life cycles are such that it would take longer than that to manifest.

Dragging his butt on the floor indicates some kind of irritation. As his anal glands were expressed, that would cause relief, not irritation. Have you inspected the area to see if perhaps he has a little poop stuck to his bottom? That will make a dog drag their butt. Or if there's any sign of irritation around his anus? Jazz had a bout with diarrhea some time back and her anus became irritated. It wasn't bad, but it looked a little swollen and pinker than it should. She did a little butt dragging too, until I smeared on just a dab of an antibiotic ointment that I had on hand. Did that a couple of times and it cleared up the irritation completely.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have to disagree with most opinions here on anal sac emptying as a routine matter of course. The dog should empty its glands with it's stools. A normal, healthy dog does NOT need this done for it. If the glands become impacted, that requires intervention. But routinely doing it 'just because' has fallen out of favor and is unnecessary. Anal glands should only be expressed when the dog is having difficulty expressing them on his own. If he is not showing signs that the glands are full, (scooting, licking) then there is no need for the glands to be routinely expressed.

A few links:

Anal Sacs (Anal Glands) - Why does my pet scoot and other questions anal sac impactions, infections and abscesses in dogs and cats

How often do the sacs need to be emptied?

In the best case, never. They should take care of themselves. Your pet's mileage may vary, however, as some pets have recurrent problems with anal sacs not emptying properly. Routine emptying when not necessary is not recommended - the expression may disturb the normal balance, leading to inflammation or infection.

Symptoms and Treatments of Anal Sac Disease in Dogs

It is not necessary to express the anal sacs unless the dog has an anal sac disease, or when frequent malodor poses a problem.

Anal Glands - Claws & Paws Veterinary Hospital

In most dogs, it is not necessary to express the glands unless there is a medical reason to do so.

A groomers discussion of anal glands:
ASK BBird!: Anal Gland Expression by Pet Groomers

I do not express glands because of the liability. Both to the dog and myself- I do believe that manual expression brings eventual reliance on them having it done for the dog. I know that completely emptying the gland also stimulates it to refill more quickly the next time- and this "hyper-extends" the wall of the gland making it more likely to rupture and the fluid more likely to be too thick to pass by itself. I also know that stretching the opening of the gland with force to quickly displace all the contents (far too) rapidly makes it unable to retract and shrink back properly.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
As far as I know, most vets still do anal sac emptying routinely. Mine does. (But not on my dogs.) So does every vet Paige, my daughter, worked with. Personally I don't think there's any need to empty anal glands as a routine procedure. I think with a healthy diet, it will take care of itself. That said though, to put anal sac emptying in the same category as a surgical spay I think is a bit extreme.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
sorry i am no help but wanted to add about the anal gland thingy , well my mum has had dogs for YEARS and had never had it done! never even heard of it! so im not sure about stuff like that ! , but good luck with your dog! x

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
My chihuahuas 'scoot' all the time. My vet/groomer empties their anal glands quite often. Finally, I was told this can be because of allergies. Tree and weeds are very high in the midwest right now. Don't know where you are, but allergies may be the cause. I would wait for a few days, make sure to check the 'area' every day and make sure there isn't any redness, or swelling. I have never had to sign a consent for for this minor procedure. Good luck with him. Maybe a warm sitz bath would calm the area? Sue

·
Registered
410 Posts
The consent you signed was probably something that gave them permission to treat your dog. I am surprised that they did not walk you through the form, or tell you what you were consenting to. But if I had to guess, I would say that your signature there probably gave them the consent they needed to express the anal glands. Not saying it was right or wrong.

From reading through this post I would have to say that it looks like it varies from one part of the country to the next as to whether expressing the anal glands is standard. It is not here, and the only time that any of my animals had it done was when we were trying to figure out why there was blood in my cat's stools. He protested like crazy while they were doing it, but he will protest if you even lift his tail so that does not mean it really bothered him. Once I got him home he acted like nothing had happened, so I would guess that expressing the anal glands does not cause irritation. Maybe look for some other cause?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts