Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm picking up my 9week old Chihuahua tomorrow, a female. This is the first Chihuahua I'll be owning so I'm a tad nervous since I don't know everything about the breed but yes, I've been re-searching info up on them.

Can anyone give me pointers regarding anything on Chihuahua's?. I know I need to treat him/her as a dog, not as a 'object'.

1. At what age will my pup be able to jump on the bed by herself?.

2. At what age should I start walking her and for how long?/when should I increase her walking and for how long?.

3. My dogs play quite rough, I am more concerned about my bigger boy and the way he plays. When should I allow her to play rough with them?.

4. Does your dog get on with people/dogs?. How much did you socialize him/her?.

5. How much should I be feeding this pup and how often?.

These are my two main concerns but can you guys share your stories on your personal Chihuahua's. Maybe share there personality, your worry's, the good things about your Chihuahua's, what about there personality?.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! Congrats on your new baby! :)

Below are my answers to your questions :)

1. At what age will my pup be able to jump on the bed by herself?. It is according to how big she is and how fast she grows. Some never can jump on beds both of mine are adults and have to use puppy stairs.

2. At what age should I start walking her and for how long?/when should I increase her walking and for how long?.You can start her early learning a harness, just put it on her and let her walk around with it on, then introduce the lead after a couple of days and let her drag it around to get used to it. Once she is used to both you can hold the lead and let her walk around on her on a bit without pulling and then you will be ready to walk her ;-) You can walk her in your yard if it is fenced in. I really wouldnt walk her much on unknown ground until she has had a few vaccinations and again I would not walk her anywhere like a petstore, dog park or even a regular park, vets, etc... until a week after her last vaccinaton. Not sure of your area but Parvo is a number 1 killer and you should be safe than sorry, JMO;-). You can carry her most places but I still wouldnt go to heavily dog populated areas even carrying her until her 2nd vaccination. Do not let her potty outside of the vets office and do not put her on the floor at the vets office until 1 week after her final vaccination.

3. My dogs play quite rough, I am more concerned about my bigger boy and the way he plays. When should I allow her to play rough with them?. I would supervise for a couple of months inside and would not allow them to play outside together until she is a good bit older and bigger as well as you feeling comfortable about it. Not sure of your other dog breeds but some can have a high prey drive.

Socializing is crucial so as much as possible, I would suggest introducing to new sights, sounds and strangers immediately. You can start walking and socializing more often once the whole series of vaccinations are complete. My guys have no problem with strangers.
Make sure you find a quality/premium if at all possible grain free dog food. Dogfoodanalysis.com and dogfoodadvisor.com are both good sites to start with. You may want to try your hand at RAW. You can find plenty of good information on this in the diet and nutrition forum here :) It will tell you on the bag how much to feed but you will usually watch how much she eats in a couple of feedings and will get an idea of what to give her. If she is super tiny, I would give 4 meals a day as well as Nutri-cal at night, in the morning and before you leave her alone in the afternoon, etc.. (You can find Nutri-cal at your vets or online. Watch her and if she starts acting funny like she is lethargic or really tired get some Nutri-cal, Karo syrup or honey in her fast and get her to the vets (rub it on her gums if she doesnt take it from you). If she is a average size chi pup then 3 meals a day will suffice for now and around 10 months old give or take you can change her to two meals a day.

You will want to invest in a small crate only large enough for her to turn around in, this will help with her feeling secure as well as being a great potty training tool. It will also help keep her from getting into anything or getting hurt when you are gone. Some Chi's are a little harder to house train that larger dogs so the crate helps a lot. I would suggest not letting her have full run of the house until you can trust her. Always supervise her or even tether her to you so you can watch her. Take her out to potty first thing in the morning, after she wakes up from naps (no matter how many naps and there will be a lot, LOL) and after she has eaten and lastly before bedtime. If you can invest in one of the dog stuffie that has the heartbeat in it, this could help a lot in keeping her calm and happy at night. If you dont have one then a ticking clock and a water bottle in a towel will help.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
As usual Michelle has great advice. I'll just chime in to re-emphasize the need for socialization... as much as you can, as soon as you can, as often as you can....

Only one of my chi's, the one I raised from a pup, is what I consider well-socialized. Kahlua LOVES people and is just overly sweet and polite. But I didn't just get lucky, I worked with her a lot and took her everywhere I possibly could from the day I got her! I made sure her experiences were safe and POSITIVE. Chi's get a reputation as being snippity and shaky little things; I wanted to do my best to prove they weren't all like that.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yeah, I need to chime in on the socialization issue. Both mine are rescues, and Tango was 7 months old when he came to me. By that time he was already getting a bit nippy/bitey/growly, because he hadn't been socialized much. It was work to get him past all that and turn him into a dog that was an excellent representative for the breed. Jazz on the other hand, I rescued as a puppy, and her socialization by comparison was a breeze, because I wasn't having to UNDO any negative behaviors.

Like Kat and Michelle said, socialization is HUGELY important. And it doesn't have to be hard either. You just use every single opportunity that comes your way. I don't have a dog park in my area, so I'd take my dogs to my local PetsMart and Pet Supermarket, treats in hand, and work with them there, treating them for every single positive interaction. (Did a little work with Tango before I started taking him out, because I had to undo some of that bitey stuff) It didn't take long for them to make the connection between being sweet = treats.

I can't tell you what a continuing relief it is to me to be able to take my dogs anywhere, have them be around anyone (including very noisy, small and inquisitive grandchildren) and to not be worried that they're going to take a piece out of someone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. At what age will my pup be able to jump on the bed by herself?. It really depends on the dog, my Hiccup can jump five feet straight up and so he can get up on anything now at 9 months, Nellie started getting on the bed around 3 months but I think she was just scared.

2. At what age should I start walking her and for how long?/when should I increase her walking and for how long?. Get a harness or a harness vest and start now she will see it as playing so it should be easy, Hiccup was really easy to train once he figured out that the leash meant going out front.

3. My dogs play quite rough, I am more concerned about my bigger boy and the way he plays. When should I allow her to play rough with them?. You should keep an eye on her all the time when playing even with another Chi. I have a 40 pound dog that understands they are little so she treats them like puppies and is gentle with them but with each other my Chi's love to pin and drag each other around. They have hurt each other but so far nothing that required a vet. They may be small but they are tough little creatures.

4. Does your dog get on with people/dogs?. How much did you socialize him/her?.Chi's can be very protective so socialize her now, let her met everyone that comes to the door and see that you are fine. Just like a new baby play "pass the baby" when other people come over. Nellie wee's when she is nervous but once she see's that she is safe she will beg for a snuggle. Tink mentioned getting them used to children, I agree! Allot of people won't let small children around Chi's but if you start now you and the children in your life will be so much happier. Nellie is my 8 year old daughter's dog and they are life long friends.

5. How much should I be feeding this pup and how often?. Both of mine were a lot older so I am not sure about young puppies. I feed mine kibble and they have access to it all day. We live in the country and they are in and out all day long so I don't worry about them getting fat, my gosh they have energy to spare and then some. As mentioned if you are able too it can't hurt to try a raw diet, once my finances are better I plan on switching.

These are my two main concerns but can you guys share your stories on your personal Chihuahua's. Maybe share there personality, your worry's, the good things about your Chihuahua's, what about there personality?.

My Hiccup has been labeled "the most interested Chihuahua in the world" because he is always investigating something, however this can lead to some obsessive behavior, like chasing lights. Except for going outside at night he is a fearless little man wanting to be in the thick of things, yesterday we dyed easter eggs and he just had to be up on the chair with me, once he was he just sat and watched. He is quiet most of the time only barking at things he should like coyotes or strange vehicles in the driveway. Right now bug catching is his new favorite game.

Nellie is a bit nervous which can get annoying at times, if she hears any kind of noise she doesn't like she will start growling or barking it's worse at night, we are working on this problem. She is also a snuggler; if your hand is anywhere near her nose she will bump it until she gets a scratch or belly rub. She is the pretty one of the two so everyone she mets just loves her. Her favorite game is toss; with or without us. She is really good at playing by herself and has got some pretty good distance when tossing her sock, about three feet now.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hiya!
Congratulations on getting your first chi! I bet you are so excited :)

I can only give you information based on my own experience and knowledge
Depending on the size of your chihuahua and the height of your bed/sofa etc.. it may or may not be a good idea for them to jump up and down from it.
One of my chihuahuas started jumping on our sofa once she was about 5 months old (but our sofa is quite low and I don't let her do the same for our bed). They can easily hurt themselves, break a bone and even develop luxating patellas so it isn't a good idea to let them jump up and down from heights. If you want your pooch to join you in bed, maybe try buying doggy stairs :)
If you are picking your girl up at 9 weeks, they probably have had only one set of shots (but ask your breeder to make sure). I wouldn't take her out for a walk until 1 week after she has had her second shot. That is when she will have developed full immunity. My chihuahuas are quite lazy! I only take them for a 30 minute walk per day, after that they just absolutely refuse to walk and try to jump in their carrier bags! LOL But it may be different for your chihuahua.
About them playing rough... I am not the best person to give you advice on that because I always worry when my 2 babies play rough. But I am guessing if your other dog is much bigger, then maybe it isn't a great idea to let things get out of hand because your chihuahua may get injured (they can be quite fearless and take anyone on!).
Both my dogs get along fabulously with other people. They lick everyone and are very gentle, don't bark or nip etc.
Socialization is VERY important. What I normally do is that I start socialization at home before their shots by encountering them with a hoover, people with beards, children (make sure they are gentle) and so on. Once they have had their shots I took my dogs outside to meet other dogs, streets, cars, people, bicycles and so on. If you do this early, then they will be comfortable with everything and they are unlikely to develop bad behaviors towards other people/dogs/objects.
I free feed my puppies because of the risk of hypoglycemia and because my chihuahuas tend to only nibble on their food every now and again.
Once my girl was older, I fed her 3 times a day at scheduled times to try and potty train her more easily. But now she is fully potty trained and I also have another little boy pup so I have started free feeding again.
About their personalities..
well first off my chis LOVE cuddles and belly rubs but they are quite different
The girl is VERY calm. I have only heard her bark maybe 5 times. She is extremely smart and picks up a trick completely with 1 day of training and potty training was a breeze with her. She is also highly motivated by food and treats
My little boy is very different. He is tiny, but feisty! He does have to tendency to bark a bit more. He doesn't care about treats and as a result it takes longer for me to try and teach him tricks. I am still working on his potty training! LOL He is also easily distracted and it takes me a while to get him to focus on me
But they are both absolute little darlings and I wouldn't change them for the world

Good luck with your chihuahua and I hope I helped :):hello1:

Hey everyone!

I'm picking up my 9week old Chihuahua tomorrow, a female. This is the first Chihuahua I'll be owning so I'm a tad nervous since I don't know everything about the breed but yes, I've been re-searching info up on them.

Can anyone give me pointers regarding anything on Chihuahua's?. I know I need to treat him/her as a dog, not as a 'object'.

1. At what age will my pup be able to jump on the bed by herself?.

2. At what age should I start walking her and for how long?/when should I increase her walking and for how long?.

3. My dogs play quite rough, I am more concerned about my bigger boy and the way he plays. When should I allow her to play rough with them?.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts