Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help

My new 14 mnth old dog is having a peeing prob. the lady i got im off assured me he would use a litter box.
but since i have had him since sunday, he has nt once used it. I take him out twice a day. but he uses my bed or my floor to go pee or poop.

Why is he doing this?
What do I do to disipline him?
How can i get him to use his litter box.

pz help or he may hav to go if he keeps on doing this xx

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
twice a day? Do you go more than twice a day? I sure do!! :D

Your dog is in new surroundings........its natural for them to goof up you are expecting too much....confine him to smaller areas if you cant watch him 24/7. Dogs this small need to go out every 2 hours if actively running around, eating drinking playing etc. When they sleep they can hold it longer, crate training is very much recommended. it helps the dog to learn to hold it as generally they do not like to mess where they sleep and its a safe place for them -- its not cruel at all. Please spend some time on the internet reading as much as you can and I am sure your baby will adjust and work out!! :wave:

Everydog will be different you must keep that in mind when training :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree...you cant give up so soon! you have only had him less than a week and he must be confused and wondering what has happened to him.It is possible to train an older dog, you just have to be consistant.
Take him out ALOT..and always reward him when he goes in the right place. It takes time, and lots of patience!! Toy dogs are notoriously harder to house break. I have had Poppy for two and a half months and we still have accidents...please dont even consider letting him go yet... :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Did you ask the lady you got him from what brand of litter she was using?
Maybe he doesn't like the scent of what you are using, or he is unfamilier with it.
And I agree with Kemo's Mama. He's in a new place with new people, he doesn't know what is expected of him yet. Give him time and calm down.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hi , I agree hang on in there and don't give up on him yet .
You say he is 14 months old , is he neutered ? If not he may just
be marking his territory or is still very confused ..
I know it is really not easy for you but give him time and I hope he will
pull through and behave better , I'm sure he doesn't even think your house is his home yet
, he must be rather confused ..

Sara xx

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
twice a day? Do you go more than twice a day? I sure do!! :D

Your dog is in new surroundings........its natural for them to goof up you are expecting too much....confine him to smaller areas if you cant watch him 24/7. Dogs this small need to go out every 2 hours if actively running around, eating drinking playing etc. When they sleep they can hold it longer, crate training is very much recommended. it helps the dog to learn to hold it as generally they do not like to mess where they sleep and its a safe place for them -- its not cruel at all. Please spend some time on the internet reading as much as you can and I am sure your baby will adjust and work out!! :wave:

Everydog will be different you must keep that in mind when training :)
:headbang: what she said..is too early to give up.. :?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I agree, it is WAY too early to give up. Mine still have occasional accidents and I wouldn't rehome them for that. You have been given great advice already. I'd suggest you try the crate training. :wave:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
imkari said:
I agree, it is WAY too early to give up. Mine still have occasional accidents and I wouldn't rehome them for that. You have been given great advice already. I'd suggest you try the crate training. :wave:

I agree 100% Imakari.

You have to remember that Jack is still VERY new to you and if I am not mistaken you had said he was in a kennel? You have to set boundaries with him, be persistent. And you have to let him out WAYYYY more than 2 twice a day! More like every 2 hours. You need to supervise him outside to make sure you are seeing him go potty, then you can praise him when he does. Then this way you also know that he HAS gone potty and wont come in and potty in the house. If you take him out and he doesn't go poo or pee. Take him straight inside and crate him up. Then the next 2 hours take him out, when he does go potty then he can stay out. He will soon learn HMMM if I go outside then I can stay out. PLEASE PLEASE don't give up on him!! He needs you!! :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
awww dont give him up! he's still learning. just give him time and a bit more training.
plus he's too gorgeous to give up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts