Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the term "pocket puppy" a new phrase? i was surfing the net looking at Chi's, and came across a web site that sells pups, and a lot of the chi pups are called "pocket puppy." i really hate it when chi's are referred to as "teacups" or "pocket puppys." Your cannot drink tea out of a chihuahua, and you cannot stick a chi in your pocket. why not call them what they are? CHIHUAHUA'S! i'm really sorry, but this makes me so mad. :x

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
it can anger me and get me no where all I can do is look at it as people who dont have knoweledge or people that use the term as a harmless slang. however, I do inform them there is no such Breed and why the terminlogy is used by breeders. a chi is a chi is a chi i ant beat them but I am not joining them lol

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Makes me mad too. I got into a little "discussion" with a know-it-all lady at the YMCA a week or so ago. I had taken Jasmine with me to my grand-daughter's soccer game and a lady came up to me and asked me if Jasmine was a "teacup" chi. When I tried to tell her there was no such thing as a "teacup", she got very indignant and informed me that yes indeed there was, because her daughter had two of them! When I tried to explain further, she just rolled her eyes and walked away. :cry:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
lol love the look up teacup

I agree - really mad I have seen them called pocket pups for a while its just pathetic :shock:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
hmmm pocket pups I cant seem to find one of those listed anywhere in the encyclopedia or dictionary. IS it a new name for a hot dog or shoe you put in your pocket. I mean these days everything has a fashionable name

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chimom said:
Makes me mad too. I got into a little "discussion" with a know-it-all lady at the YMCA a week or so ago. I had taken Jasmine with me to my grand-daughter's soccer game and a lady came up to me and asked me if Jasmine was a "teacup" chi. When I tried to tell her there was no such thing as a "teacup", she got very indignant and informed me that yes indeed there was, because her daughter had two of them! When I tried to explain further, she just rolled her eyes and walked away. :cry:
I know how that is...I kinda got into a little tiff with a friend of mine. Shortly after I got Chico, she said she wanted a chi, so as she was looking online at the short coats and long coats to see which she wanted, she said "oh look, theres a teacup chihuahua, i want one of those." well, i went into a rant about how thats just a word some breeders use as a selling tool, and usually the very small chi's referred to as "teacups" can be very fragile and get sick easier. she said i was full of it. i love this girl, but i had to talk her out of getting a chihuahua, because she is the type to get a small dog like that just as an accessory. she eventually got a pitbull.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, i know...lol. i personally am terrified of pitbulls, but her getting a pitbull fit her personality, and i'm confident she will raise him right so he will not be the typical stereotyped pitbull.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
*sigh* i'm sorry you are terrified of pit bulls. i'm terrified of bad pit bull OWNERS. one of my worst bites came from a miniature poodle (brownie, i'll never forget that evil boy hehe) i had a pit bull bite me too, and he never even pierced the skin, just bruised me. i'm aware it could have been much worse and he held back, it was a warning bite. can i ask what youa re so afraid of in a pit bull? i know the stories out there are of them attakcing and stuff, but the stories you don't hear of a lot of dog attacks are ones like cocker spaniels and poodles (same day in the paper 2 different stories each involving a child and the above mentioned dog, the one child lost his eye due to the bite and the other child ahd to ahve 15 stitches in his leg.)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm afraid of pit bulls because 1) when i was little, a pitbull tried to attack me and my dad when we were walking to the park. my dad tried his best not to hurt it, but he has to kick it away because it lunged at me with an open mouth and i was just a little kid.

2) there is a pitbull that lives in my apartment complex, and 3 times now, i have been outside with chico on our walks and this pitbull, who is never on a leash, has come after us, and he is only focused on Chico. The first two times it happened, i didn't see it's owner anywhere and thankfully was able to grab chico in time and run into my apartment, but the third time i had to jump on top of my car and had to wait till the owner got his sorry butt out to get his dog. believe me, i FLIPPED on that guy. people aren't even allowed to have pitbulls at my apartment complex because of breed restriction rules here.

i do believe it's all about how the owners raise them, because i'm sure there are a lot of nice tempered pits, and that goes for ANY breed, it all depends on the owner. but i'm not taking any chances, their lockjaw thing scares me the most. i don't mean to offend anyone who owns or has owned a pitbull, they are just not my most favorite of breeds. there has been only one pitbull i'm not afraid of, and that was a friend's english pitbull. he was one of the sweetest dogs i have ever met, but sadly he has gone to the rainbow bridge. :(

Also, thats a terribly sad story about the child who was attacked...it just backs up that its all the about how the owners raise them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm...I never knew using the word "teacup" could be so offensive. I must be ignorant. A breeder sold me a "teacup" and I have often use the word to describe my Chi. I guess I'll refrain from using it in here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts