Chihuahua People Forum banner

Do you take you dog out on daily frequent walks?

• Yes every day come rain come shine!

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Yes weather promiting, not in snow storm etc!

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • No,cant think of a reason to put here!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • No, I didnt think Chi's needed to go out!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would be intresting to see how many hear take their dogs out for daily walks. Thats more then one a day. Like on a regular basis throughout the day.
Come rain come shine etc.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
I usually walk Twiglet 2-3 times a day morning, afternoon and evening - havent had any snow yet so dont know if she will walk in that but she hates walking on wet grass so i guess she wont like it - sometimes she doesnt get all of her walks but she has a huge garden that she spends at least a couple of hours a day running round in so she does get plenty of exercise - in the summer we usually go on longer walks cuz in the winter she walks round out usual route so fast to get back in front of the fire.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I take mine out first thing in the morning for ca 15 min, then we go for a long walk after breakfast ca 45min-1h. Then they sleep while I do house stuff. If Im working they are fast asleep for a good 3-4h. We then go out again early afternoon for 20min and maybe throw a ball or do some obedience. You do know that Chihuahuas are perfectly suited for Agilty, Obedience & Search? Then its back in for some play in the house. If its a nice day we might go for another long walk maybe for a swim on the beach or racing around the sand dunes. The we have another 2-3 short pee walks after that and the last just before bed.

Yesterday we were on the beach for about 2 hours and they slept from 12-6 without moving a limb. Snoring like little pigs!

Here is a picture of my dogs in the water in December and I dont live in Autraila so belive me it wasnt warm. Im wearing hat and scarf!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dry weather - yes, Boop walks outbound, but lately I often end up carrying her home tucked inside my jacket because she is shivering so.

Wet weather - she walks if there is a break in the rain. I don't want to tuck a wet dog inside my jacket.

Snow - no. I might slip and fall!

On edit - to me, one of the benefits of having a dog is that I have to go for one or more walks daily, LOL. I love to see how fascinated Boop is with everything on our walks, sniffing everywhere. When she stops sniffing and just trots along with me is when I reach down to feel for shivers.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Carl goes outside several times a day, but we only go on one walk a day. And sometimes he doesn't even want to go on walks.
If it's raining he's miserable outside.
Sometimes he just doesn't feel like going on walks...he'll just sit down and refuse to move.
Sometimes if it's raining/snowing/really cold, Carl refuses to go outside. He'll sit in the garage and look at me like "Are you kidding?"
Thank goodness for puppy pads :thumbup:

It seems like everyone where I lives takes their dog on one walk every day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bear will go out no matter what, as long as a human or our golden goes with him. if its really raining or theres snow he goes out front in stead of the yard.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i like to try to go for daily walks.... but winter in alberta can get pretty cold.... so if its colder than -10 we dont go :tongue5:
and now its dark when i get off work so i dont like going by myself, so if andrews gone we dont go *sigh* lol...
so when we dont go for a walk-we just have playtime indoors playing fetch or whatever :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
i would love it if Tofu want to go for walk. if it's warm out then we go for walk twice a day, but if it's wet out or a little cold(and it does get really cold here) he would not even take one step outside. everytime he see the harness and leash he run and hide in his crate. To make up for that, i would play with him inside. we play fetch, i chase him or he chase me around the house. gosh after reading about how much everyone here take their baby out, i just feel so bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Butchie and Bell go outside quite a few times a day with their brothers and sister rottweilers!! Bell doesn't like it outside at all. She does her business and then sits on the patio waiting to be let back inside. Butchie loves it. He runs and does his best with those little bitty legs to keep up with the big dogs!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I voted yes weather permitting...and by that I mean that I take him and my other dog out in all weather except for extreme cases--like if it's hailing big chunks or there's an ice storm like we just had recently, and you can barely take a step without falling on your butt. But if it's just snowing regularly or raining (minus lightning/thunder), we go out and love it. ;)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
depends primarily on the temps and my chis...and the actual walk over the play in the yard...

during nice weather the chis go outside and play and run riot in the yard as they see fit, once the apts done theyll have acess to outside whenever were home...
once the chilly weather hits its completly up to them...they tell me if they want to go out...this past couple of weeks the weathers been ok truth be told and they have absolutly no desire to go outside...i open the door and they look at me like "ehh not today ma"
they get more than enough indoor excersize and mental stimulation without having to go outside...so i dont force them.
if its cold out and they want to go out theyll fetch me their coats...thats how i know there in the mood for some fresh air.

As for WALKING, now as a dog trainer my personal opinion is when on leash behaviour shoud be angelic...there should be no running round or pulling or jumping or even sniffing and my dogs behave in such a way, because when on leahs its work time...its training and learning time...then offleash is run jump play and sniff time...
so personally i think free play time is more important for the sniffing thing than a walk, a walk is more important for the mental/training side of things.
in this breed excersize is academic, they get enough by playing indoors...

i hope that makes sense!
i get so angry when i see people walking any sized dog and the dog is pulling and distracted...its obvious they were never taught leash manners, leash means walk by my side and pay attention to me...not ever tree and blade of grass you see...
but thats just the trainer in me! lol

once i get my big dog, the same will apply, he'll be given free acess to our yard for free play, walks will be based on the need for added structured mental stimulation (ie TRAINING) or if a free run space is impossible at the time...

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
foxywench said:
As for WALKING, now as a dog trainer my personal opinion is when on leash behaviour shoud be angelic...there should be no running round or pulling or jumping or even sniffing and my dogs behave in such a way, because when on leahs its work time...its training and learning time...then offleash is run jump play and sniff time...
I completely agree. I keep Carl on a short leash and he has to stay right by my side (or slightly behind- but not in front as that's a sign of dominance!)

As a puppy when we first went on walks, I would take him on the retractable leash, and he would sprint all over the place, and run ahead or stray behind and sniff things. But once he was "used" to the leash, he had to learn how to behave on the leash ;)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I voted no simply because Scruffy has problems with his hips but he loves his walks and I am trying to reintroduce them gradually to rebuild his muscles

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm not so strict with Boop on a leash as foxywench is. Boop is always on a leash when we're outside because my yard is not securely fenced for a tiny dog, even less so after the winds blew down one section of fence. (Must talk to the neighbor about that.) So I let her sniff and explore as much as she can. Forward pulls on the leash are not allowed, but she gets away with laterals, and I often have to tug her forward as she lingers over a scent or something gross.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't usually take mine for walks, but we live on 10 acres in the country with about 2 acres of that lawn, my little guy loves to get out and run around rain or shine, until he gets too cold then like others have said he gets tucked into my coat until the other dogs get done and we can all go in the house.. lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts