Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I have a training question!

Ponyo has started this new habit of "not coming when called" in the house 100% of the time. She would much rather me come and pick her up and carry her to her "spot" or to hang out with me and the other dogs. This is not a problem outside, she comes when she's called 100% of the time outside. Believe me, I'd do some training if she didn't listen outside :salute:

But my question is this: What repercussions are there to her not coming when called inside the house? Why has she started this new habit of "Nah, mom, just come and get me and carry me around"?

We all know our little chis are so perceptive and can "pick up" whether or not we like a behavior, and I just love love LOVE she wants me to carry her around inside the house all the time :laughing6: ... but if this is something that's detrimental in any way I'd love to know! If I have her "treat bag" or "remote" she always comes when called (in or out,) but she seems like she's getting more "lazy":sleepy1: now and when I call her when we're inside, she just kinda sits there and squints and waits for me to come nab her and carry her around. :scratch:

Thanks for the help! Hope you guys are doing great!

P.S.
Here's a cute picture of Ponyo in her winter coat!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Chis are master manipulators. They certainly know ho to get their own way lol
If you like carrying her around i don't see the harm in it. (obviously as long as she is getting regular exercise etc etc)
I would be concerned if i called my dog and it didn't respond though, just because that is teaching it to ignore that request

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, guys!

How long do you wait before you go and collect her?
I usually wait about a minute. I'm usually very conscious about where she is, but I'll try to call her over and look her in the eyes, and she'll just sit there and squint (that "I love you so much" eye squint) and I don't have the heart to "demand." So I'll just go scoop her up... which I think she likes.

I would be concerned if i called my dog and it didn't respond though, just because that is teaching it to ignore that request
I would be concerned about that, too! That's why I am! She's got a great recall outside, but in the house she really seems like she likes me to "find her" and "swoop her up."

·
Registered
174 Posts
Possibly go back to rewarding with treats.
Let her sniff that you have a treat, and take it. Say play time and walk away. After a few mins call her and show treat. If she doesn't come then no treat and walk away.
If she does come, give treat and praise then say go play. Repeat process so she understands. Might take a while but all achievements require hard work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts