Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried everything and am at the end of my rope. Not mad like trying to rehome...just at the end of my rope in patience and frustration. Tilly (and Pearl too) will not stop eating their poo. They're fanatic about it.

It's beyond disgusting!!!

I've tried OTC powders, adding msg to their diet, fussing at them when they do it (during those super rare times I catch them) and none of it is working.

Beyond the ick factor is that they drag the poo onto the carpet, much down and then drag it some more and then I end up with poo scattered everywhere. Sometimes I'll be vacuuming and I'll hear what sounds like a pebble and just shudder b/c I just know it's poo pellets.

Ack!!!

Sorry, it's just so disgusting and gives me major heebs.

Now they're covert with it. I never catch them in the act, just see brown smears on the pee pads where poo once lay and crumbles on the carpet. During the day I'll pick up any fresh poo but anything they did while I was at work is gobbled up. Penning them would keep my carpet cleaner, but I had really enjoyed (these past couple of weeks) letting them stay out while I was at work. They've both taken to exclusively using the pee pad for their business (only one mistake in two weeks) and are less anxious when I come home if they had free roam of the house during the day. However, if this behavior doesn't end, it's back in the playpen for them. It's simply too unhygenic to have this happen all of the time and I can't afford to rent or pay for steam clean treatments all of the time.

Please tell me that you know something that will help. I'm desperate.

So far tried:

canned pumpkin
dry food only
msg
OTC stuff found at Petsmart. Can't remember the name.
tried pineapple but they wouldn't eat it. Only managed to get a small piece mashed into their mouths.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh Rache had a problem with Billy doing this its because the poo comes out smelling like their dry food i think..

No idea what you can do.. i also heard it can be coz they're missing some vitamin like zinc... on dog whisperer they gave bannana instead!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Right now they're on Science Diet. Please, no lectures on the quality or rep of the company. I've read and researched it all. I'm not comfortable with the idea either, but I can't ignore that Boo had diarrhea and bloody stool for 3 1/2 months and only when given the SD I/D was he almost instantly and permanently "cured." I fought it for the longest time, bought every "better" brand out there, tried cooking homemade, and nothing worked like the SD and I can't let unpopular sentiment overrule my vet's recommendation and first-hand positive results

Whew. Sorry about the long rant, but I just don't want this thread to degrade into an anti SD debate.

Back to the question. I feed Science Diet I/D. No wet food. For treats they get kangaroo jerky, Kona's chips in beef and chicken, and salmon and whiting strips. Which treats they get just depends on whatever they're craving and I've got on hand. They get treats once or twice a day. Usually around bedtime when I want them to unwind.

Lately I purchased some food supplements, but they made everyone sick. Got them at a Whole Foods store. Something with seaweed and other stuff in there.

The girls sometimes get fruit (apples, pears, and the sweetest part of cantalope are their faves). Every now and then (about once a week) Tilly gets a little bit of cottage cheese or yogurt to keep her weight on her and b/c she goes cuckoo over dairy.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
dexter used to eat his poo too when he was on royal canin. this isnt a lecture but dogs eat their poo majority of the time when they are lacking something

i just googled "why does my dog eat his own poop"
and copied and pasted a bit of what i mean

"Take a look at the dog food you use
Be sure that you're feeding your pooch a high quality, nutritious diet. A good dog food is highly digestible and results in fewer stools, and those stools are definitely less attractive as potential snacks because they're not full of the undigested fillers and junk that cheaper, lower quality foods contain. Take a look at my 10 Best Dog Food Choices for more on this."

so the science diet u are feeding comes out into the poop and still is appetizing for your pup! i highly recommend u change the food...again not a lecture just a friendly reasonable suggestion to cure your problem so they wont get sick please? :)

poor boo. maybe boo too picky? how can they not like homecooked meals?...are u cooking them right? not trying to offend u in anyway! love u :) just dont want them to be sick anymore...it hurts to hear all the times they ahve and to llisten to them eating poop...eek

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Right now they're on Science Diet. Please, no lectures on the quality or rep of the company. I've read and researched it all. I'm not comfortable with the idea either, but I can't ignore that Boo had diarrhea and bloody stool for 3 1/2 months and only when given the SD I/D was he almost instantly and permanently "cured." I fought it for the longest time, bought every "better" brand out there, tried cooking homemade, and nothing worked like the SD and I can't let unpopular sentiment overrule my vet's recommendation and first-hand positive results

Whew. Sorry about the long rant, but I just don't want this thread to degrade into an anti SD debate.

Back to the question. I feed Science Diet I/D. No wet food. For treats they get kangaroo jerky, Kona's chips in beef and chicken, and salmon and whiting strips. Which treats they get just depends on whatever they're craving and I've got on hand. They get treats once or twice a day. Usually around bedtime when I want them to unwind.

Lately I purchased some food supplements, but they made everyone sick. Got them at a Whole Foods store. Something with seaweed and other stuff in there.

The girls sometimes get fruit (apples, pears, and the sweetest part of cantalope are their faves). Every now and then (about once a week) Tilly gets a little bit of cottage cheese or yogurt to keep her weight on her and b/c she goes cuckoo over dairy.
Ah i know what its like to have a dog with a funky tummy.. we too get bloody and mucusy runny poos if she has even one piece of dry food.. Only thing that helped Daisy was raw feeding and its amazing what its done for my baby.

I know nothing about the science diet other than its packed high up in my vets surgery.

Some foods can cause them to eat their stools i don't really know what to suggest other than to train her to leave it and supplement somethign else as a reward it will mean leaving poo around tho so you can teach her to ignore it

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I feed Chico High quality no grain dog food and this still happens.... Chico will eat his poo if he gets a chance... but my Mancestire terrier will grab it before it hits the floor *EWWW* if I don't watch him...... he just started this habit about a yr ago.... I finally started putting up a gate so they can't mess all over the house and put pee pads all over *their* room but their is never a trace of Chico's poo when I get home..... The Terriers is still on the pads but not Chicos....... UGH....... they eat the same food also.... pineapple makes Chico sick....... so I am watching this post closely to see what else is recommended..... I do have some bananas at home, I may try that suggestion.......

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
No no, we won't lecture you, I promise. I do think if you could get him on another food successfully it might make a difference, BUT you've said you've already tried.

So...I dunno what to tell you :-/ I hope you figure something out to share with the rest of us though for sure.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
if i give jerry something that doesn't totally digest, like carrot or apple, he will go for his poo.
when i cut back to only allowing his regular meals, he seemed to lose interest in the litter pan.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have read that putting spinach or pickles in the food may work....also just read that you can do this: slice your dogs poop length wise and lace it with tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper, if it where me I would just put some tabasco sause or pepper on the poop if you see one of your pups actually use the bathroom so they will be less turned on to eating it....

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dexter used to eat his poo too when he was on royal canin. this isnt a lecture but dogs eat their poo majority of the time when they are lacking something
Yeah, but they ate their poo when they were on Eukanuba and Royal Canin too. It's been a while, but I still remember being as grossed out then as I am now.
poor boo. maybe boo too picky? how can they not like homecooked meals?...are u cooking them right? not trying to offend u in anyway! love u :) just dont want them to be sick anymore...it hurts to hear all the times they ahve and to llisten to them eating poop...eek

Boo is very, very picky. Right now his digestive problems are making life a little hard. As for recipes, I tried two:

1. Chicken and rice porridge. Boiled rice then added a bit of chicken broth and water and cubed chicken breast. Stirred until it became a porridge (about 30 min.)

2. Beef and rice. Beef cooked with shredded carrots and sweet potatoes and combined with rice.

Both were minimal on ingredients b/c in the first instance I was deliberately trying to keep it bland and then later I didn't want to spend a lot of money on food I didn't know they would eat and do well with.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only thing that helped Daisy was raw feeding and its amazing what its done for my baby.
I tried raw feeding and it seemed to help for one day (solid poos in Boo after weeks of diarrhea...I was on cloud nine and immediately posted on this board) but only for the one day. Same exact meat fed the next day had him running like a hose. As for the SD, I'm not fond of it b/c it's mostly corn. Even tastes like corn (don't ask), but I was just so desperate. Boo's older and the diarrhea changed his entire personality to the point where he wouldn't get off the couch. I feed him this crud (not that I'm not happy it exists) and it turns off like a spigot. Go figure.

do this: slice your dogs poop length wise and lace it with tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper
Is it odd that I answer readily, and with a resounding "YES," to the idea of running into a burning building to save my dog, yet with this scenario I have to mull it over for a while. A long, long, long while. LOL

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I tried raw feeding and it seemed to help for one day (solid poos in Boo after weeks of diarrhea...I was on cloud nine and immediately posted on this board) but only for the one day. Same exact meat fed the next day had him running like a hose. As for the SD, I'm not fond of it b/c it's mostly corn. Even tastes like corn (don't ask), but I was just so desperate. Boo's older and the diarrhea changed his entire personality to the point where he wouldn't get off the couch. I feed him this crud (not that I'm not happy it exists) and it turns off like a spigot. Go figure.

Is it odd that I answer readily, and with a resounding "YES," to the idea of running into a burning building to save my dog, yet with this scenario I have to mull it over for a while. A long, long, long while. LOL
I would just stick to what works for him.. if he's healthy then thats what matters.. what works for one dog doesn't for another.

I'd try and train him out of it!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Coco does the same thing its so revolting, luckily she doesnt drag it around tho! Im lucky that because i havnt got a job at the mo im with her all day so wen she does a poo i grad it b4 she can eat it! its only if she poos at night now that she gets to eat it!
Not sure how to stop them doing it but def correct them any time u witness it, sorry im no more help.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Boo's older and the diarrhea changed his entire personality to the point where he wouldn't get off the couch. I feed him this crud (not that I'm not happy it exists) and it turns off like a spigot. Go figure.
My Kirby 'was' just the same , he didn't want to get up in the mornings always looked sad BUT since he has been on ID he is a silly /happy/running / dancing boy who gets up at 6am and barks for his breakfast ;) I'd never change his food ..

Have you tried cutting out all treats ( just feeding them ID) and see if that helps ?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
My Chi's never do this (thankfully) but my Pom used to do it once in awhile. I understand your frustration, it's so gross. While it can be connected with diet, I think sometimes it's simply because dogs can be funny little creatures and do weird things and that could be the only reason. I mean.. I have seen dogs eat rocks. :rolleyes: I know with my Pom it didn't matter how high quality her food was, she would still do this. I think some dogs simply like it. :-|

Have you tried feeding smaller meals, more often? I have heard that can help. Worth a try. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
My Chi's never do this (thankfully) but my Pom used to do it once in awhile. I understand your frustration, it's so gross. While it can be connected with diet, I think sometimes it's simply because dogs can be funny little creatures and do weird things and that could be the only reason. I mean.. I have seen dogs eat rocks.
Ha yes my last dog ate stones, all the time, wen he did at poo u wud here the noise of stones dropping with it, thats how i caught him pooing in the house;)
Eventually he grew out of it thankfully, dogs can do strange things!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I succeeded with my last dog with the banana. I wont lecture on the SD because that's what my pup and my mom and grandmother's dogs eat; pups are all healthy and anything lacking is made up with good wet food once a day (yes they are spoiled but well bahaved). Good Luck :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts