Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given Pepcid AC for my baby to take twice a day so that her poop is hard. Are there any liquids or foods that will help her have regular poo after she is done with her meds? Like tea or something? Right now, Dixie eats chicken and rice mixed in with her a/d wet food, sometimes boiled ground chicken with the rice and a/d. Do you think her poo be regular after the Pepcid med is gone? She has 2 and 1/2 more days of it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You can add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her diet, which is a good source of fiber, and is recommended by vets. Most dog foods are high in fiber, but some doggers need a little bit of extra help. Wait and see how her bowel movements are after you are through with the meds. If they haven't firmed up, try the pumpkin. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
My vet told me that fiber is usually helpful in this situation. She gave me something from Science Diet. And it did really help, it cost about $2.00 for a regular sized can. I would ask the vet what they would do.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
dont give too much pumpkin...even though its high in fiber it can give them bad diahrea. Chop up some green beans...that worked well for my dogs

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
r/d and w/d are high fiber science diet prescription foods. they are also weight los foods so check with the dr. for feeding directions.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Do not give r/d or w/d to your puppy! They have a low fat, low calorie content and don't have the right balance of nutrients for your puppy and can cause renal and liver disorders in very young puppies.

Anyways, your chi's stools should firm up when you switch to dry food. To be honest, feeding A/D seems counterintuitive when the goal is to firm up the stool. Usually A/D is used as a recovery formula or appetite stimulant that is high in nutritives, calories, fat, and protein, and the result is usually soft stool =)

The Pepcid acts as an acid inhibitor to decrease GI irritation which can cause soft stool in some cases (if pH is off, extra water is added to stool or less water is absorbed to neutralize it). But a bland diet of chicken/rice like you are feeding, or dry Growth or I/D should firm the stools up. When switching diets be careful to do it gradually, as rapidly changing diets can also cause soft stool/diarrhea.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Do not give r/d or w/d to your puppy! They have a low fat, low calorie content and don't have the right balance of nutrients for your puppy and can cause renal and liver disorders in very young puppies.

Anyways, your chi's stools should firm up when you switch to dry food. To be honest, feeding A/D seems counterintuitive when the goal is to firm up the stool. Usually A/D is used as a recovery formula or appetite stimulant that is high in nutritives, calories, fat, and protein, and the result is usually soft stool =)

The Pepcid acts as an acid inhibitor to decrease GI irritation which can cause soft stool in some cases (if pH is off, extra water is added to stool or less water is absorbed to neutralize it). But a bland diet of chicken/rice like you are feeding, or dry Growth or I/D should firm the stools up. When switching diets be careful to do it gradually, as rapidly changing diets can also cause soft stool/diarrhea.
we've used the rd and wd to add a little more fiber into diets, it gets added with the food the dog was eating not as a substitue so it doesn't work as a weight loss food that way. i have never heard those dangers with it befor... can you tell me more about them?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
r/d and w/d are high fiber science diet prescription foods. they are also weight los foods so check with the dr. for feeding directions.
What do those abbreviations mean?

·
Registered
518 Posts
r/d means restricted diet. Of my last 2 dogs (littermates) one was hypolyperdemic - meaning (jump in here Nate if I explain hypolyperdemia wrong) that her body did not digest fat properly. Also human food was a never never no no no way for her - it brought on pancreatitis attacks within hours. So at about age 2 she was put on Science Diet R/D. Since her littermate ate from the same bowl, she went on it too. They lived very long healthy happy lives to ages 13 and 16.

They were Samoyed/Terrier mixes. One looked terrier, the other Samoyed. The Samoyed-looking dog is the one who had no health issues but ate the R/D anyway from age 2 on. She was gorgeous - thirty pounds of rippling muscles, solid and heavy without an ounce of fat on her.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
we've used the rd and wd to add a little more fiber into diets, it gets added with the food the dog was eating not as a substitue so it doesn't work as a weight loss food that way. i have never heard those dangers with it befor... can you tell me more about them?
Supplementing the diet with r/d and w/d can be beneficial as long as you monitor the animal's development well during puppyhood. I thought you meant as a long term main diet, which would cause nutritional deficiencies very young dogs that can result in improper liver and kidney development. Sorry that I misunderstood!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ilovesadie said:
luvmypuppet said:
Supplementing the diet with r/d and w/d can be beneficial as long as you monitor the animal's development well during puppyhood. I thought you meant as a long term main diet, which would cause nutritional deficiencies very young dogs that can result in improper liver and kidney development. Sorry that I misunderstood!
yeah that's what happens a lot when you can't heqr how someone says things and you can only read it, internet and chat rooms lead to many misunderstandings :) no appologies okay :wave: it's not like you were like duh you can't do that hehe...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts