Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed Coco Fromm 4 star grain free kibbles a little less than 1/4 cup morning and same at night. Her stools are really nice but she poops so much! today, 6 times! all nice normal firm stools. Her weight is good, healthy happy.
I do not want to switch to raw or home cooked food so that is out of the question.
Is that normal?
Also, how to stop her from eating her own poop?
She uses the littler I keep the poop out as soon as I see and and do watch but sometimes I cannot know and she will drag it out and munch on it.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
All kibbles contain a lot of indigestible ingredients, hence the large amount of stool produced. A different brand may suit her better, or consider a canned food, freeze dried or dehydrated diet maybe. There are lots of great non-kibble options now.
For me, 6 poos a day would be too much, mine go once or twice a day maximum, sometimes even less than that, because they eat a diet that is fully digestible so very little passes through.
Poo eating is gross to us but quite natural for dogs, the poo smells like food to them. I think a change of diet would help, many people find adding pineapple to the diet helps with the problem.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Like Wicked Pixie said, dehydrated or freeze dried foods are good options if you don't want to feed a homemade diet. On Ziwipeak (air dried raw), mine poop max 2 times a day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All kibbles contain a lot of indigestible ingredients, hence the large amount of stool produced. A different brand may suit her better, or consider a canned food, freeze dried or dehydrated diet maybe. There are lots of great non-kibble options now.
For me, 6 poos a day would be too much, mine go once or twice a day maximum, sometimes even less than that, because they eat a diet that is fully digestible so very little passes through.
Poo eating is gross to us but quite natural for dogs, the poo smells like food to them. I think a change of diet would help, many people find adding pineapple to the diet helps with the problem.
Thanks for the reply and the help
I am opened to can food (Fromm) but my concern is teeth. I have always believed can food would be detrimental to teeth. Now I am reading this is not true. What are your thoughts?
Also, Fromm 4 star non grain food is supposed to be a high quality food, is it not?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
It is a good food. Some dogs just need a different kibble. I would try the freeze dried raw food---Instinct, or Stella & Chewies, or some of the others. Not much to waste there! All kibbles have a 'filler' in them. Some of them are peas, oatmeal, quinoa etc. My chi's get brown stains from oatmeal??? Just saying, just try different kibble (grain free) and see what makes them 'poo' less!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
It isn't a bad kibble, as far as kibbles go. Kibble, by its very nature, is highly processed and contains things dogs don't need. They have to include carbs, or it wouldn't be possible to make into a kibble. Fromm has a lot of potato and peas to replace the grains found in traditional kibbles. It may be that another high end kibble would suit your dog better. 6 poos a day would be a huge flag to me that the food isn't suiting the dog.

Personally, i would never feed kibble at all, to me 'good kibble' is an oxymoron.
The dog food companies have us all brain-washed that kibble is the best way to feed a dog, when it simply isn't true. Kibble is a modern invention, and the health of dogs generally has declined since kibble feeding became the norm. Dental health especially is affected by feeding high carb kibbles. Kibble is the worst thing for a dogs teeth, but again the dog food manufacturers would have us believe the opposite.

Feeding a canned food will not adversely affect your dogs teeth. You can still offer healthy chews such as raw bones or dried pizzles, and brush regularly for optimum dental health. I think a quality canned food that has a high meat content and no carbs will be better for their teeth than carb laden kibble. Plus the higher water content will be much better for his kidneys, and canned food is naturally preserved by the canning process, keeping more of the nutrition intact. (Much of the nutritional value of the ingredients used in kibble manufacture is destroyed/depleted, so artificial vitamin/mineral compounds are added, They are sprayed on after cooking, mixed with fats and flavour enhancers to make dogs want to eat it)

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had a similar problem with Fromm. And orange poop on top of it! Yuck!

The only kibble I will feed now is Acana/Orijen. All of my dogs do well on it - I have seen no reversion from when I fed raw except slight dirtier teeth. When my lab passes I will likely go back to raw, but she can't keep raw down for some reason, and it's not financially feasible for me to buy one food for her and a different for everyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
If only there wasn't such a difference in price. Kibble is the only choice for some. At least good kibble doesn't cost that much more than terrible kibble.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Canned foods (the good ones) do tend to be pricey, but it isn't a major issue when feeding a Chi.
I find raw feeding much cheaper than feeding kibble. I can feed all 5 of mine for 60p a day. It is rare that i spend more than £10 for a whole weeks worth of food. That is £2 per Chi per week.
I don't think people feed kibble because it is cheap, they feed it because they think it is good and that they are doing the best for their dog.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I'm hoping hubby will get a deer so I can feed venison.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I used freeze dried raw and I've got one a day "poopers"....sometimes Lady is less than that. Try mixing some freeze dried raw with kibble and evaluate the impact on "poop" frequency (-:

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
....also want to mention that mine get high quality canned raw every now and then. They go wild for it but due to price don't get it often. Quality canned has no impact on poop volume. A few brands I like are Ziwipeak canned, Wellness Core grain free and Natural Instinct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts