Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Bijou to the vet today and he took a look at her overbite. He said, "Well, it's pretty severe, isn't it?" I had to agree that it is and it's getting WORSE every day. Not kidding.

He said that on the one side her two canines are locking together when her mouth is closed (he showed me, I saw exactly what he was talking about). He said that by removing specific teeth that it MAY give her bottom jaw room to grow out unrestricted. He doesn't think it will grow to the "normal" length but if we do nothing it's sure to grow even more abnormally :cry: .

So, tomorrow morning she goes in for her extractions and I am going to go ahead and get her spayed and microchipped while she's under. Hopefully this will be the only time she ever has to go under.

My vet is VERY experienced in spaying tiny animals because he used to do the spay surgeries for our Humane Society here who requires that all pets adopted out from them be neutered/spayed before leaving. They spay/neuter them as long as they are 8 weeks or older and at least two pounds :shock: .

Keep good thoughts that this goes well for my little tiny girl!!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
poor thing :cry: i hope she recovers soon and that her overbite won't be too severe when she grows up !! i'll be keeping her in my thoughts :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Awww, poor little baby girl. :( You're smart to have everything done at the same time to minimize the risk of anesthesia. I'm sure she'll come through it just fine and hopefully her overbite will be okay going forward. I know how worried you must be but please keep us posted as best you can. :wave:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! She is home now and doing well. She has pain meds to last her for the next 5 days so I'm sure she'll be feeling just fine!

Here's a pic that I took of her last night so I can reference back to it as she grows. Her overbite is MUCH more obvious with her lip curled back to show her teeth.

Let's see if this tooth pulling thing works! Oh, I'm also going to give her a calcium/phosphorus supplement to see if that helps her jaw bones and teeth grow.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Charley sends Bijou lots of hugs! (He also thinks she's really cute!!)

You're right, with her teeth pulled back I see the overbite now. However, I still think she's precious!! :love10:

Keep us posted!

:flower:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts