Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how much longer he'll be with me at this rate. He seems to be geting worse each day.

I knew he was blind but he could still find his way around after bumpinginto a few things along the way. Now he can't do that anymore. If I put him in the garden like I used to with Lola and Tillie and go back inside when I come back he's at the end of the garden just walking around and around in circles.

I got him belly bands but he soaks them through at night and his fur is soaking in the morning so I have to bath him. He just lays down like a rag doll when I bath him now. When I take him out the bath and lay him on the towel he's just laid there like he'd dead.

He's not in any pain and still eating and drinking and he likes his sleep but seeing him going like this is breaking my heart.

Does anyone have any suggestins for better belly bands? Cookie is soaking wet with them and I put in the extra long absorbent pads.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh Marie i'm so sorry for you both,must be a sad time for you.I know my last Chi "Chico" i went through the same as you and you get to the point of not knowing what else you can do for them.Never had belly bands for him so don't know what they're like,could you fit a sanitary towel as well ?
Please pm me if you want to talk.HUGS to you both

·
Registered
774 Posts
have you tried using those poise pads for bladder leakage? they might help. sorry about cookie. wish i could be more helpful.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Marie i'm so sorry for you both,must be a sad time for you.I know my last Chi "Chico" i went through the same as you and you get to the point of not knowing what else you can do for them.Never had belly bands for him so don't know what they're like,could you fit a sanitary towel as well ?
Yeah I use the extra long and absorbent towles but he's still soaked in the morning. All his fur is wet with pee. He is just sitting there now with his head dropping falling asleep. I hate seeing him change like this. I know he's old but this past 6 months he's changed so much even these past few weeks he's changed.

If I could get something to absorb his pee it would be better for him.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and thanks Michele I know you know what it's like. I just feel so upset about it. Seeing him walking around and around in circles is so sad. The other night I popped them all out for a last toilet in the garden before bed and I had to go hunting for him in the garden to get him in. He was at the very end just going around and around. When I place my hands on him he stops and the relief you can see in his little face when I pick him up and carry him back in.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
**HUGS**... its tough watching a loved one have problems.... give Cookie a gentle pat on the head for me

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Awwww Marie my heart dropped when I seen the thread, we all love Cookie here, he is such a sweetie. Tears im my eyes reading this, we just don't want our pets to get old at all, so sad :( I cannot offer any help, I am not even very sure, but could an incontenence pad fit inside it may be more absorbent. Thinking of you (((HUGS))) xxx

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Seconding what Lynda said. My roommate has pugs, and her oldest guy Bandit got to the point Cookie got to. She lined his belly band with a Depends pad which absorbed an amazing amount. He'd wander aimlessly too. It was very sad to watch. I'm so sorry.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear this. I cant help much on the belly bands as I never had them soak through but just wanted to let you know that you and Cookie are in my prayers.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I'm sorry Marie. I don't know what to say about the belts.

Carlos did the same thing in his later years - walking in circles.
I found out that while he couldn't see straight forward, the peripheral vision was there. I took him outside, and wearing white sneakers, if I walked backwards in front of him, he seemed to be able to follow me. Maybe he just saw the blur of white. I would run my finger up his back towards his head to encourage him to walk.

At one point he started galloping, which shocked me, and after that he had a little more confidence walking on his own. He would still do circles, and we sometimes bump into things.

I know it's the hardest thing to go through. I know you are doing everything
possible to make him comfortable.

I'm so saddened to hear about this. So many of us here know what you are going through.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about Cookie. Marie, you both will be in my prayers. Sorry I can't help with the belly bands. I hope someone here can offer you a solution.
God Bless.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
so sorry to hear about cookie marie. huggss
have you a lidl near you
they do incontence pads very reasonable
maybe they would work

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
As a 'new' member I really don't know Cookie's history. Sounds like he is confused now in addition to being blind. At some point you are going to have to ask yourself if you are keeping Cookie alive for yourself? I know how terribly hard this is. I have gone through it many times (5-6X in 40 years!). My heart goes out to you. Sue Davis

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh Marie, I am so sorry (((((HUGS))))) this must be hard to see your sweet baby Cookie going through this. You are such a good chi Momma......Bless him.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this as well. The same thing happened with Barney; he just seemed to age all of a sudden so quickly.

Barney began walking in circles and being very confused (he was blind and deaf) and lost control of his bladder all within a few weeks. It just seemed so sudden because he had lived for at least 4 years being almost completely blind and deaf and thrived.

He stopped eating and we knew that was when it was time to let him go; we had decided that as a family when he first started acting confused.

Barney would only loose control of his bladder in the evening so we would have him lie on a lined baby blanket and just bathe him every morning.

Sorry I cant be more help.

You are in my thoughts.

Jenna

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You know you might try a wire bottom crate covered by a towel or thin blanket. He'll still pee, but hopefully will not end up soaked. It won't be as comfortable but quite honestly I think most dogs don't need or crave comfort like we give it to them, so Cookie in his old age might not even notice. I am so sorry he's going down hill hun...it must be really hard.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Marie, I'm so sorry. We went through this with our old dogs too. It's just heartbreaking to see them like that. I'm thinking about you sweetie.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much everyone, your words mean a lot to me and Cookie. I am not considering pts at all. No way is that an option unless he's in pain.

He's still getting his treats and he enjoys tucking up in his bed with Lola. I'm gonna try the incontinence pads and see if they work better. I don't mind bathing him in the morning it's just it seems to take it out of him. he just lays there and I don't like fussing him too much and getting him wet because then he's all cold.

I know that when the time comes I can count on you guys for support. I'm gonna nedd it. When benny died I was a state for a long time.

I'll try the pads and see how we go. He's ok in the day it's just through the night he wets himself.

Thanks again you guys for all your support. I know I don't come on here so much anymore. I just haven't got the time and I have a lot on my mind with Cookie.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts